MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Col the Doctor Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:28 am
MPC One user here, standalone setup.
I have a sample, lets say it's a drum break at 160bpm.
I make my slices and sequence a groove playing those slices at 160bpm.
Now I want to set my tempo to 120bpm, and I want that drum break to *re-pitch* to fit the new tempo.
I don't want time-stretch artifacts, I want the sound of playing a record more slowly.
Can this be done? Been searching for a way but it seems impossible?
The only way I can find is to manually adjust the pitch for every single slice. Wot!?
Hoping someone here can set me on the right path!
Cheers
By 40Beatz Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm
The Best way to do it without "Artifacts"...is to open the sample in Sample Edit...Process Tab...Scroll to Either Time Stretch or Pitch Shift and Process (Do It) it there. You may have to Undo and Redo it til it matches what you want.

Warping is for Minor adjustments...imo
By Col the Doctor Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:12 am
40Beatz wrote:The Best way to do it without "Artifacts"...is to open the sample in Sample Edit...Process Tab...Scroll to Either Time Stretch or Pitch Shift and Process (Do It) it there. You may have to Undo and Redo it til it matches what you want.

I'm a little surprised they do not have the option to warp using a re-pitch algo... what the heck!? Not sure why it's not an industry default.. same problem with the octatrack.
By 40Beatz Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:59 pm
Col the Doctor wrote:
40Beatz wrote:The Best way to do it without "Artifacts"...is to open the sample in Sample Edit...Process Tab...Scroll to Either Time Stretch or Pitch Shift and Process (Do It) it there. You may have to Undo and Redo it til it matches what you want.

I'm a little surprised they do not have the option to warp using a re-pitch algo... what the heck!? Not sure why it's not an industry default.. same problem with the octatrack.

Takes alot of Processing to have a Clean Time Warping Algorithm...Im Assuming. It can be achieved in Controller Mode tho. One of Many Limitations in Standalone Mode
By hyena Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:29 pm
i do it this way:
-load up your program
-open sample edit and browse to your chopped sample.
-set the SLICE field to ALL
-click on the small arrow at the right side of the screen
-click From BPM
-insert the number of beats the sample is long
-the mpc detects the sample bpm's
-now hit MATCH and the sample will be transposed the correct amount of semitones and cents to match your bpm's

Or instead of hitting the small arrow you can go to the PROGRAM tab of the sample editor and there you have your FROM BPM button, then proceed as told.

important thing is SLICE is set to ALL, if not you'll be trying to detect the bpm of a single slice instead of the whole sample.
By ace_of_dub Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:48 pm
hyena wrote:i do it this way:
-load up your program
-open sample edit and browse to your chopped sample.
-set the SLICE field to ALL
-click on the small arrow at the right side of the screen
-click From BPM
-insert the number of beats the sample is long
-the mpc detects the sample bpm's
-now hit MATCH and the sample will be transposed the correct amount of semitones and cents to match your bpm's

Or instead of hitting the small arrow you can go to the PROGRAM tab of the sample editor and there you have your FROM BPM button, then proceed as told.

important thing is SLICE is set to ALL, if not you'll be trying to detect the bpm of a single slice instead of the whole sample.

Nice, it works. It could be great if the MPC would do that automatically instead of warping and using the timestretch, just like a vinyl record works, but for patched phrases, slices or samples. In fact, that's something I wish all sampler did, even if they don't support time-stretching.

Step 3 is the most important or it is not going to pitch the sample correctly.
By hyena Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:53 pm
yes, step 3 is very important.
i thought the same many times, i'd love to see it automatically transposing the loops when the bpm changes without warp engaged. i don't like warp, and if one wants the sound of specific genres such as jungle, uk garage or old school hip hop warp is a very bad choice. but even with newer genres i think warp often destroys transients and kills the vibe of drums and other instruments. i only like it when its exaggerated and obvious, as a sound design tool for weird sounds.
By 83dude Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:22 pm
I honestly wouldn‘t want that feature. That‘s one of the reasons I tend to not use Live or Reason since quite a while. Can‘t turn it off as a standard, and manually deactivating repitch or stretch ecery single time is a workflow killer for me. But that‘s just for me. :popcorn:
By ace_of_dub Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:26 pm
83dude wrote:I honestly wouldn‘t want that feature. That‘s one of the reasons I tend to not use Live or Reason since quite a while. Can‘t turn it off as a standard, and manually deactivating repitch or stretch ecery single time is a workflow killer for me. But that‘s just for me. :popcorn:

It doesn't have to be on by default and you wouldn't be forced to use it if were there. I don't use the plugin instruments of the MPC, I don't complain there are here for the people who need it.

My point is, re-pitching without artefact in order to keep a loop in sync is sometimes a better solution than timestretching.