MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By cycomyco Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:30 pm
Hello to all I have a question for you maybe someone can answer.

I am currently working on making Chord Progressions the only issues I have is making multiple sub folders in standalone mode.

I use the MPC software to convert seq to a chord progression then I modify the .progression file with notepad++ by adding Blueprint-<subfoldername><filename> But no matter what I do MPC standalone only adds the first folder and then combines the subfolder name with the file name so my result is this:

progressions/Blueprint/AmbientChord_C_Major.progession

For Example:

Main Folder Name: (Blueprint)
Sub Folder (Ambient)
Progression File: (Chord_C_Major.progression)

Full Path: progressions/Blueprint/Ambient/chord_C_Major.progression

I believe the .progression file Akai use is writing is in JSON thank you for any help you can provide.
By SuperKonquer Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:23 pm
I dont believe the perform mode hardware screen will show subfolders further than the 1st one. Ive also been working on coverting every progression in the world that i can get my hands on. Up to 35,000 thousand now. Ive tried a million ways to create multiple sub folders. Eventually though Ive found it better for usability purposes to have one subfolder then group appropriately by name. The way you scroll through lists on the hardware screen makes it easy to locate things from a long list
By SuperKonquer Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:39 pm
Ive also found it best to use abbreviations to shorten the names as much as possible because longer names make locating things on the hardware sceen more difficult. Like Blueprint would just be Blu- Amb 1

Why even include c major chord in name since in progressions you can pay in any key. You just have to make sure that your progressions are created with the correct root note. The conversion makes whatever the lowest note of the first chord the root/scale and is often wrong with more creative pieces where the first note chord doesnt start on the tonic.

I like to use bulk renamer and turbo file renamer to make this a breeze
By Jazzy_PL Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:22 am
I have MPC One. I would like to create new progressions and new chord types (like rootless) in the STANDALONE mode. MPC Beats uses this format of *.progression files.

{
"progression": {
"name": "Jazz-Keys Jazz 4",
"rootNote": "A#",
"scale": "Chromatic",
"recordingOctave": 3,
"chords": [
{ "name": "A#maj7", "role": "Root", "notes": [ 47, 54, 66, 70, 75 ] },
{ "name": "Am7", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 45, 55, 60, 64, 71 ] },
{ "name": "D7", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 50, 57, 60, 63, 66, 69 ] },
{ "name": "Gadd9", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 43, 50, 57, 59, 62 ] },
{ "name": "F#m7", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 42, 52, 57, 61, 64, 68 ] },
{ "name": "B7", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 47, 57, 63, 66 ] },
{ "name": "E", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 40, 47, 56, 59 ] },
{ "name": "D#maj7", "role": "Normal", "notes": [ 39, 46, 55, 58, 62, 65 ] }
]
}
}

Do you know any way of importing/copying these files into the MPC One (Internal or SDXC card) so that they can be used in projects?
By Jazzy_PL Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:52 pm
SOLVED!

Thanks to NewAkaiUser, I solved the problem. What I did wrong was that I renamed the *.progression file (to be put into the Progressions folder on the SD card), but I left the same name within the file "name": "Jazz-Keys Jazz 4" (It already exists on the MPC). After changing to something like "name": "Jazz-Keys Jazz 4_A", as soon as I inserted the SDXC card into my MPC One the new progression became available.
By Jawbrizza Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:04 am
SuperKonquer wrote:Ive also found it best to use abbreviations to shorten the names as much as possible because longer names make locating things on the hardware sceen more difficult. Like Blueprint would just be Blu- Amb 1

Why even include c major chord in name since in progressions you can pay in any key. You just have to make sure that your progressions are created with the correct root note. The conversion makes whatever the lowest note of the first chord the root/scale and is often wrong with more creative pieces where the first note chord doesnt start on the tonic.

I like to use bulk renamer and turbo file renamer to make this a breeze

you sharing? I’ve got a giant well organised chord progression midi folder which I could spend 200 hours converting. If you already did the work though I’d rather avoid it
By SuperKonquer Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:02 am
I was planning on sharing for free it but it was more work than I thought, mostly because of some bad luck and a bit of carelessness. I spent a bit of dough on trial and error solutions but finally came up with a solid workflow for conversion. I ll be releasing a volume 1 variety 15k progressions plus advanced chord banks and a volume 2 pack of 10k focused on neo soul jazz very soon.
By Jawbrizza Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:52 am
SuperKonquer wrote:I was planning on sharing for free it but it was more work than I thought, mostly because of some bad luck and a bit of carelessness. I spent a bit of dough on trial and error solutions but finally came up with a solid workflow for conversion. I ll be releasing a volume 1 variety 15k progressions plus advanced chord banks and a volume 2 pack of 10k focused on neo soul jazz very soon.

ay if it cost you money and a lot of time ill definitely buy it. what price you planning? Will keep my eyes out for it :popcorn: