MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Monotremata Wed May 25, 2022 5:44 pm
monkito wrote:
Lampdog wrote:No ones defending regression and bassackwardness.

If it’s there it’s there. If it’s not it’s not.

A discussion of “should it be there” is separate. Mixing the 2 is filthy.

No, it is not. It is clear that the current crop of MPC software designers are simply maintaining the spirit of the classic MPC lineup, but lack the institutional memory to enact the spirit of Roger Lynn's innovation and instead gate keep the status quo. Free running LFOs are a standard feature for contemporary sound design for a very long time now. The fact that this most basic of features is missing from the current crop of MPCs is a blatant oversight and absolutely retrograde and backwards headed.

Shame on you for supporting and endorsing InMusic's marketing practices. If current users don't advocate for reintroduction of a preexisting MPC feature which has been _removed_ from contemporary machines, that lack of feature will likely never go noticed by the twenty something InMusic software designers who were just babies when the original Akai MPC design teams were active.

Nobody here is supporting or endorsing anything to do with InMusic's marketing. Plain and simple, it didnt come with one, so if you want one you need to go submit a feature request to Akai and hope they listen. Nobody here works for Akai, this forums is not affiliated with Akai/InMusic in ANY way so you're complaints are falling on deaf ears here. We've all known about it for years now, its not like this is a new discovery, so go tell Akai to "fix" it.
By 40Beatz Wed May 25, 2022 6:33 pm
monkito wrote:Free running LFOs are a standard feature for contemporary sound design for a very long time now. The fact that this most basic of features is missing from the current crop of MPCs is a blatant oversight and absolutely retrograde and backwards headed.

That's just it! The Current InMusic engineers understand that catering to the Professional Sound Designing Type Users...Is NOT as Profitable as catering the Non Professional Beat Makers and Producers who rely heavily on Pre Made Sounds and Expansions.

#ifitdontmakedollars
By HUBA Wed May 25, 2022 7:35 pm
monkito wrote:
Lampdog wrote:No ones defending regression and bassackwardness.

If it’s there it’s there. If it’s not it’s not.

A discussion of “should it be there” is separate. Mixing the 2 is filthy.

No, it is not. It is clear that the current crop of MPC software designers are simply maintaining the spirit of the classic MPC lineup, but lack the institutional memory to enact the spirit of Roger Lynn's innovation and instead gate keep the status quo. Free running LFOs are a standard feature for contemporary sound design for a very long time now. The fact that this most basic of features is missing from the current crop of MPCs is a blatant oversight and absolutely retrograde and backwards headed.

Shame on you for supporting and endorsing InMusic's marketing practices. If current users don't advocate for reintroduction of a preexisting MPC feature which has been _removed_ from contemporary machines, that lack of feature will likely never go noticed by the twenty something InMusic software designers who were just babies when the original Akai MPC design teams were active.

AMEN
By Lampdog Wed May 25, 2022 7:46 pm
I don’t support or endorse inmusic practices, are you high enough yet?

By HUBA Wed May 25, 2022 8:17 pm
Monotremata wrote:Nobody here is supporting or endorsing anything to do with InMusic's marketing. Plain and simple, it didnt come with one, so if you want one you need to go submit a feature request to Akai and hope they listen. Nobody here works for Akai, this forums is not affiliated with Akai/InMusic in ANY way so you're complaints are falling on deaf ears here. We've all known about it for years now, its not like this is a new discovery, so go tell Akai to "fix" it.

Talk about missing the point. Or deliberately deflecting the whole argument is maybe more like it. You honestly believe he doesn't understand that the site isn't in any way affiliated with Akai/InMusic? Yeah didn't think so. So why even go there? It's not like it hasn't already been mentioned repeatedly in just about every thread on this forum, is it? So what's the deal? If you don't have any better counter points than these then why not just admit he is absolutely 110% on point or just skip responding at all? Jeez..

monkito wrote:If current users don't advocate for reintroduction of a preexisting MPC feature which has been _removed_ from contemporary machines, that lack of feature will likely never go noticed by the twenty something InMusic software designers who were just babies when the original Akai MPC design teams were active.

This is a VERY good point that deserves some reflecting on by anyone posting this forum. Some people are actively pushing down on any sort of criticism of even the most questionable decisions by Akai because for some reason or another it's seen as vogue and the only adult attitude around here and it's getting tiring. But go on and tell me you have no idea what I'm talking about and enjoy the echo chamber this place is turning into.
By Monotremata Wed May 25, 2022 10:58 pm
Ok cool so lets just turn this into the Akai/InMusic Bitchfest forum so all we do is complain and nobody gets anything else done.

Yeah HUBA I got the point, the point is, go tell Akai because they are not here listening, its just us who've probably already told them about it MULTIPLE times over the last few years. Instead lets clog up the forum with all kinds of posts repeating the same yawn worthy crap over and over again for whatever reason.
By HUBA Thu May 26, 2022 1:10 am
Monotremata wrote:Ok cool so lets just turn this into the Akai/InMusic Bitchfest forum so all we do is complain and nobody gets anything else done.

Yeah that's exactly what I'm asking for and off course also the only possible alternative to what I'm criticizing :Sigh:

Monotremata wrote:Yeah HUBA I got the point

No you didn't. You got the point you felt like getting because it supports your preferred view while you conveniently ignored the actual point altogether. Why you're having me waste energy explaining the reality of your own recent actions I can only speculate.

Monotremata wrote:the point is, go tell Akai because they are not here listening, its just us who've probably already told them about it MULTIPLE times over the last few years. Instead lets clog up the forum with all kinds of posts repeating the same yawn worthy crap over and over again for whatever reason.

Give it a rest already. We're all plenty familiar with the official sob story. If it's such a problem for you then I suggest ignoring the complaints and the **** fest you're so worried about should die out quickly by itself. If you can also refrain from repeatedly avoiding your opponents main points and pretending they were saying something completely different and much less coherent then that would probably help as well.

You may see things differently here but IME it's generally a good idea to air out disagreements from time to time and tolerate talk about the elephant in the room or tension tends to build up. Just saying
By jamos Sat May 28, 2022 2:52 am
Wow. So much bleating over such a minor feature.

All instruments have limitations. This one is trivial. Live with it.
By dryad-66 Sat May 28, 2022 8:23 am
jamos wrote:Wow. So much bleating over such a minor feature.

All instruments have limitations. This one is trivial. Live with it.

Its not minor or trivial.its a basic and powerful feature.Instead we get more fake effects and bloat.But it is what it is.And moaning here probably wont help much :hmmm:
By monkito Mon May 30, 2022 8:12 pm
[quote="HUBA"]This is a VERY good point that deserves some reflecting on by anyone posting this forum. Some people are actively pushing down on any sort of criticism of even the most questionable decisions by Akai because for some reason or another it's seen as vogue and the only adult attitude around here and it's getting tiring. But go on and tell me you have no idea what I'm talking about and enjoy the echo chamber this place is turning into.[/quote]

Thank You for saying so. I hesitated to respond to the hyperbole, but frankly as a long time MPC user whom doesn't usually engage internet forums I really get frustrated with the "if it's there it's there, if it's not it's not" frameset. It _was_ there. It no longer is...
Last edited by monkito on Mon May 30, 2022 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By monkito Mon May 30, 2022 8:15 pm
[quote="jamos"]Wow. So much bleating over such a minor feature.

All instruments have limitations. This one is trivial. Live with it.[/quote]

Not trivial. Free LFOs are the shortest and arguably best route to gated/chopper/stutter effects and incredibly common and useful for multiple contemporary 'EDM' styles.
By mpc_fan_2022 Tue May 31, 2022 1:44 am
40Beatz wrote:
monkito wrote:Free running LFOs are a standard feature for contemporary sound design for a very long time now. The fact that this most basic of features is missing from the current crop of MPCs is a blatant oversight and absolutely retrograde and backwards headed.

That's just it! The Current InMusic engineers understand that catering to the Professional Sound Designing Type Users...Is NOT as Profitable as catering the Non Professional Beat Makers and Producers who rely heavily on Pre Made Sounds and Expansions.

#ifitdontmakedollars

I'm sure AKAI engineers would love to shove an entire Z8 inside the MPC if they could, except that they aren't the ones budgeting software development, often a product manager that isn't even a developer himself decides what goes in the machine and what doesn't.

Look at InMusic/AKAI OS update MO, often a new device from a competitor comes out, then AKAI feels the need to tap into that market. AKAI added vocal effects the moment the Verselab released with vocal effects. AKAI is adding some kind of vinyl sim because the SP404 MKII has a vinyl SIM and so on and so forth. Elektron releases a Syntakt, MPC conveniently gets probabilities around the same time... These decisions are clearly taken by a marketing guy, not an engineer...

It will be very interesting to see what AKAI adds to the "MPC keys" in order to compete with the latest Fantom 06, because clearly the keygroup program is inferior to Roland's Partial program system modulation-wise.
By DeaDeus Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:46 am
Agree to the theory that AKAI is rather a marketing driven company.
The sampler e.g. in the MPC is scattered all over the place, where one single function would be enough.
Why do I need to jump to the Sampler for certain operations while I am in program warping.... Why do we have a separate Looper, Sample Editor... I do not get it.
As you said - "hey programmer, we need a sampler." - "hey marketing guy, we have a sampler." - OK, why don't we have a Looper?" - "We need to write a new function for that.." - "OK, if you say so...."
By T-Monk Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:23 pm
It seems 2.11 has free running LFOs.

Now, how do I get key triggered LFOs back?

I was using a hack with the LFO set as slow as possible with a square wave routed to the amp for my violins and such. That allowed me to use the Mod Wheel as a form of expression control so I could swell them in and out. With 2.11 my keygroups don’t do that anymore.

Anyone happen to have a workaround for being able to swell sounds in and out dynamically (not the envelope) without having to midi map the volume of the keygroup to a particular controller? Coming from Kontakt and soft-samplers where foot pedals/ mod wheel/ aftertouch often can be assigned to expression rather than volume so your performance automation is separate from your mixing automation.
By Lampdog Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:56 pm
Volume automation??

Not sure if that's a direct answer tho.