MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Cate Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:18 am
I started off with a 2500, years ago. Used it for years, but somehow got lured into thinking an Octatrack would be a good idea for me. Lovely machine, but it just never clicked with my brain. Recently I noticed my friend was using a newer MPC and got into a conversation with her about it. I'd been mistakenly thinking that Akai had lost the standalone functionality from it's range. Guess I was totally wrong.

I ordered a One and honestly, I could not be happier. I love how the core concepts of sequence / track / program are still there, but the functionality we have now in there is staggering. Perfect for me to explore and fall in love again with the MPC. It's everything I've wanted in a standalone sampler and I'm already finding my way around it in a really logical way.

Just bought the MPC Bible and looking forward to digging in.
By Christov Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 pm
I really relate to what you're saying. Also used to have a 2500 and alot of the things I found tedious (tracking stems, mtc stuff and what not) are alot easier, plus some of the new functions really makes the proces of making music alot easier and more fun! Internal synths also are a plus for me.

Made so much beats last year its crazy. And the mpc bible defitnitly helps!
By kja Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:46 pm
I went from a friend 2000xl to mine own 1000, and also got led in to the elektron for a year, then tried Roland, all to come fill circle back to the newer MPC. I'm not going back!! Fool me once!! Lol.
I do still have a digitone keys and a opz around though for different workflows and sounds, besides other synth's... I still love elektron, face it, they are really really cool.. probably the coolest.. but nothing beats the mpc as far as getting stuff done.. I have the retro live 2 and it is my main thing, I just love it!!
I might even get a keys to go with it eventually so I can take my live 2 with me.
By Lampdog Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:00 pm
All of your stories sound like mine. I was HARDCORE mpc 4000 for many years.
Didn't wanna give recognition to new mpc's. A friend let me borrow his Live 1 for a week. Afterwards I WENT STRAIGHT TO THE INTERNET and ordered an MPC X. I made beats everyday for maybe a month straight. I was HOOKED and REALLY happy, still am happy. That was back on os2.6, these days, it's just even better.
Still lacking some stuff I loved on the 4k but the benefits FAR outweigh the negatives for me.
By EnochLight Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:20 pm
Cate wrote:I started off with a 2500, years ago. Used it for years, but somehow got lured into thinking an Octatrack would be a good idea for me. Lovely machine, but it just never clicked with my brain. Recently I noticed my friend was using a newer MPC and got into a conversation with her about it. I'd been mistakenly thinking that Akai had lost the standalone functionality from it's range. Guess I was totally wrong.

I ordered a One and honestly, I could not be happier. I love how the core concepts of sequence / track / program are still there, but the functionality we have now in there is staggering. Perfect for me to explore and fall in love again with the MPC. It's everything I've wanted in a standalone sampler and I'm already finding my way around it in a really logical way.

Just bought the MPC Bible and looking forward to digging in.

That’s a fantastic story - thanks for sharing! Came to the MPC Live originally (now on a Live II). Absolute favorite tool in my arsenal - the new MPC’s are just fabulous pieces of kit. Welcome to the forums!