MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By pixie42 Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:57 pm
Firmware updates a bit of a dice roll.
It has worked flawlessly for many years... until tonight
For some reason the USB connection got lost at the very begining of the firmware update process
Now th MPC is stuck in "update mode"

I have tried booting on USB disk and SD card with the image file on the root directory but without success.
I've also tried booting with bank [C+Full level+ERASE] buttons depressed

There should be a way to recover and format the inner SD Card with a fresh OS
What are my options guys ?
Thx
By zangetsu01 Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:01 pm
pixie42 wrote:Firmware updates a bit of a dice roll.
It has worked flawlessly for many years... until tonight
For some reason the USB connection got lost at the very begining of the firmware update process
Now th MPC is stuck in "update mode"

I have tried booting on USB disk and SD card with the image file on the root directory but without success.
I've also tried booting with bank [C+Full level+ERASE] buttons depressed

There should be a way to recover and format the inner SD Card with a fresh OS
What are my options guys ?
Thx

That combo you've used depends on what type of MPC you've got bro.

Try the following:

MPC X:

To put the MPC in Controller update mode:

16 Level + Next Seq + Bank C + Power button

To put the MPC in Standalone update mode (via usb stick):

Rec + Stop + play Start + power button

MPC One:

Full level + Browse + Pad Bank C

MPC Live:

FULL Level + Bank C + Erase

By mpc_fan_2022 Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:13 pm
I have no solution for you. But the fact that an update can brick a device should make AKAI dev department feel ashamed of themselves.

There are a few threads on this forum about people bricking their devices the exact same way, and this one on reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/mpcusers/comme ... uld_reset/

but I didn't see any real solution aside from sending it back to AKAI for repair.

there is this thread but I never tried.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=213466&p=1844671&view=show#p1844671

if the MPC is still under warranty, sending it back to AKAI before attempting anything else is a no brainer.
By zangetsu01 Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:13 pm
pixie42 wrote:thank you Zangetsu01 for your detailed answer but that doesn't seem to help.
The MPC is still in "update mode" and does not respond to either combination.
Is it bricked for good ?

What Type of MPC have you got? Your MPC needs to be disabled when you push that combo and while holding down those buttons you must power it on. Keep holding them down until you get to update mode

The standalone combo's never worked for me only the controller mode version. Once you're in update mode hook it up to your computer and update it using the computer.

I've bricked my X 2 times while experimeting with hacks and this is what has brought it back to life..
By pixie42 Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:47 pm
I have finally saved my MPC, the trick was to hook it up to an old macbook pro.
For some reason my 2 PCs were unable to reconnect through the USB port, but the Mac did at the very first try.
I have no rational explanation, but I have learnt my lesson. Updating with a PC is a thing of the past for me. Next time I'll probably use a USB thumbdrive or my good ol' macbook.
Thank you all for taking the time to answer me and helping me to resolve this issue