MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Icepulse Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm
Anyone knows that the price of memory and RAM, etc. has decreased exponentially. Back in the day, a 4gb CFlash card was actually a miniature f****in' hard drive, with actual moving parts! You can get 16gb SD cards in a gumball machine, now. There's no reason they can't get a full internal processor etc. in there now for about $200 more than the Touch.
By Jose da Silva Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:56 pm
Icepulse wrote:Anyone knows that the price of memory and RAM, etc. has decreased exponentially. Back in the day, a 4gb CFlash card was actually a miniature f****in' hard drive, with actual moving parts! You can get 16gb SD cards in a gumball machine, now. There's no reason they can't get a full internal processor etc. in there now for about $200 more than the Touch.

Totally agree :nod:
By Eyalc Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:24 am
Icepulse wrote:Anyone knows that the price of memory and RAM, etc. has decreased exponentially. Back in the day, a 4gb CFlash card was actually a miniature f****in' hard drive, with actual moving parts! You can get 16gb SD cards in a gumball machine, now. There's no reason they can't get a full internal processor etc. in there now for about $200 more than the Touch.

Yes!

Don't forget with the Live and X, the hard drive will run you another $200-$500 depending on type and size you get. I'd put a 1TB SSD in it, so I'd be out another $300-$400.
By Icepulse Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:17 am
Eyalc wrote:

Yes!

Don't forget with the Live and X, the hard drive will run you another $200-$500 depending on type and size you get. I'd put a 1TB SSD in it, so I'd be out another $300-$400.

That's Apple pricing, friend. I'd be perfectly happy w/ 200 - 350 Gb, which should run Akai about $10 USD.
By Zplane ROC Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:23 am
FYI, the CPU inside the FCC leaked LIVE unit was sourced as an ARM processor package and costs $99 for non-bulk purchase. $99 might seems like a a possible markup above the Touch but let's not forget that probably most of the R&D $$$ spent has to go to the OS and sofdrtware inside the unit, and that costs pretty big bucks to develop. A markup of $400-$500 for stand-alone above a mere controller unit seems likely. Not to mention the analog Ins/Outs and Midi Outs that might be offered above and beyond what just a controller would offer.
By Icepulse Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:33 am
But they're selling the touch for $600 now, and you can bet they're not selling that for a loss. So clearly, their markup vs. the Touch Will reflect current pricing, not the launch price. If Touch was still $800, I'd see $1150 / $1200 on the Live. W/ MPCT @ $6 balls, I see the Live @ $900 - $1,000.