MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:28 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Check out Thomann.de, the Live is cheap at $870 shipping included. They gave me a great quote but they don't supply the correct AC adapter for the US for they are a Europeon market :(

The price Thomann quoted you is exclusive of VAT (EU sales tax), so EU customers will pay approx 20% on top of that, which brings Thomann in line with all other EU/UK suppliers (who advertise the VAT inclusive price by default).

You probably wont get charged VAT, but there probably will be import duties of some description, you'd need to check with US customs.

The power cable will not be anything unique, normally they are a PSU with a C7 power cable attached, so just swap out that C7 lead with a US one, you probably already have a bunch of them.

Yeah like you UK cats say, I will not be arsed with a faulty machine from overseas and then trying to send it back. Getting my MPC Live from Amazon Prime with 2 day express shipping free :nod:
By callofthevoid Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:16 am
Great job with the namm q+a, nice one dude. Cool to hear the 16 levels timestrech def confirmed.

Seems like you and Andy have a line of communication open now? If you're bouncing feature request over to him here's a few things I haven't seen from vids, dunno for sure if v2 has them or not. None of them are dealbreakers, grabbing a Live for sure, but still ;)
Thanks man.

Parameter-locks (like Elektron + Push etc) - add a mode where the pads = 16 steps. Change pad banks to access different sets of 16 steps within longer sequences. Hold pad and tweak parameters to lock them to that step.

Arpeggio - look at op-1's new arpeggio for inspiration.

Multiple parameters per q-knob - kind of like Octatrack Scenes/Analog Four 'performance' knobs. Way more interesting for experimentation if you can set a bunch of various parameters across different fx and pitch etc assigned to one knob.

Ability to reverse layers + fx per layer (tho resampling could be OK as workaround)

Re-trigger depth - as an FX insert option possibly? With same controls as on octatrack and automatable.

FX - gritty spring reverb, tape sim, amp sim. Also some 'HQ' fx options. Better quality, as an option, where you use if you want better quality but reduces the total amount of fx you can run in a project, dependant on onboard cpu usage.

Portamento (Dunno if already onboard?)

Onboard FM synth - look at op-1 for inspiration. The 4 q-knobs would be perfect for that. Even if this was limited to only one instance per project due to Cpu limit. Would still be useful for portable.

Slice by transient with sensitivity controls.

Lfo destination for basically any parameter onboard. Fx, sample start/end point etc etc.

Overdub with undo/redo on an audio track.

Edit - also 'sample Layers on Keygroup instruments' with Amp envelope per layer. And/or fx per layer. Maybe some of this in there already? Would be amazing if the Keygroup functionality began to approach Kontakt in terms of sound design depth tho. Would love to see depth like this on there and a cpu metre, as opposed to keeping things kind of 'bread and butter' with hard limits. Possibly as an option in settings. 'secured mode' (limited, very clearly defined limitations/safe) vs 'advanced mode' (do what you like, keep an eye on cpu metre ;)
Last edited by callofthevoid on Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 7 times in total.
By callofthevoid Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:53 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
callofthevoid wrote:Slice by transient with sensitivity controls.

How would this differ to the current threshold chopping mode, which slices by transient and have sensitivity controls?

It wouldn't ;) Cool that it's already there. Never used an mpc before. Not sure what's onboard, like I said ;) Just goin from what I've seen in vids. Always wanted a 1000 but never copped. Live looks like amazing. Pre-ordered..
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:10 am
callofthevoid wrote:Ability to reverse layers + fx per layer (tho resampling could be OK as workaround)

You can reverse each layer (i.e. play the assigned sample backwards), but the ability to assign effects, envelopes, filters and LFO uniquely to individual layers (rather than to entire pads/keygroups) isn't currently possible. I have suggested it in the past, but I think they'd have to completely change the core architecture of the DRUM and keygroup program format to do that, quite an undertaking. Be fantastic though to have that kind of control, would make it a pretty powerful sound design tool.
By callofthevoid Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:22 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
callofthevoid wrote:Ability to reverse layers + fx per layer (tho resampling could be OK as workaround)

You can reverse each layer (i.e. play the assigned sample backwards), but the ability to assign effects, envelopes, filters and LFO uniquely to individual layers (rather than to entire pads/keygroups) isn't currently possible. I have suggested it in the past, but I think they'd have to completely change the core architecture of the DRUM and keygroup program format to do that, quite an undertaking. Be fantastic though to have that kind of control, would make it a pretty powerful sound design tool.

Cool re being able to reverse a sample layer. Yeah the rest would prob be huge undertaking if means re-writing from the core. Maybe it'll happen some point next couple years if these sell as many as it's looking, then other companies up their game and competition heats up..
By jimijones555 Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm
Heads up Folks,

The MPC X in standalone mode gives you 8 Stereo audio tracks, as I've been reading one of the ways to look at this from a producer stand point is that once you have recorded all your tracks in the studio from your computer, and the MPC 2.0 software, you put all your tracks together, you can then mix down any number of tracks that you want to stereo, then put that back on one of the 8 stereo tracks in the MPC X for standalone use, think of the 8 stereo tracks as 8 separate busses that you mixed down to, all stereo, all your FX, Panning, whatever and mix them down to 8 stereo pairs, you still have control over the audio to a degree, now it would have been nice if Akai made those 8 stereo tracks have ability to be either or stereo or mono, but anyway that's why the MPC X standalone mode was more or less designed for performing live on stage, and have the ability to be a center piece in someone's studio, my only problem is this, for studio work they shouldn't have left off the DIGITAL IN'S AND OUT'S, this is VITAL in the studio for producers like me.

Jimi Jones
https://soundcloud.com/jimi-jones-4
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:07 am
:WTF: just remembered to ask, but if you interview one of the engineers behind 2.0, can you ask them if the X/Live can be a controller and a standalone at the same time? Like able to build something in the software and sampling and chopping a record standalone.

And thank you Joe for asking my other questions, big up! :nod:
By kaydigi Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:47 am
Ill-Green wrote::WTF: just remembered to ask, but if you interview one of the engineers behind 2.0, can you ask them if the X/Live can be a controller and a standalone at the same time? Like able to build something in the software and sampling and chopping a record standalone.

That was asked, they said one or the other but not at the same time.
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:17 pm
kaydigi wrote:
Ill-Green wrote::WTF: just remembered to ask, but if you interview one of the engineers behind 2.0, can you ask them if the X/Live can be a controller and a standalone at the same time? Like able to build something in the software and sampling and chopping a record standalone.

That was asked, they said one or the other but not at the same time.
Yes, I missed that bit. Thanks Kay! Drums clashing kinda distracts some things.
By saintjoe Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:47 pm
Thanks again for all the feedback guys. I've still been gathering questions that either weren't answered or were follow-ups. Hoping to get some more dialog going with them.
By rookie Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:01 am
You don't have to erase the 16g, just add your own sata or ssd drive, that's literally your blank canvas.