MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By loopman Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:03 pm
Hello guys,
I need your help, I'm undecided if to buy the new MPC Live or the Elektron Octatrack.
My main style is ambient, experimental, electronica
are these machines so different? Could I achieve on the MPC Live what can I do with the Octatrack?
I know that the MPC Live doesn't have a dedicated LFO that can be assigned to a clip or to a paramenter,right?
what else about the differences MPC Live Vs Octatrack?

I hope that you can help me, it's important
Thank you very much
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:12 pm
Well Elektron is about to release the Digitakt which is just the essentials of Octatrack. If you thought Octatrack was overkill then Digitrakt will make things easier and accessable.

But between an Octatrack and MPC Live, I'd go for the Live for its massive sample storage and huge RAM. Octatrack is kind of a looper from another planet not so much a full featured sampler like MPCs are known for.
By loopman Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:03 pm
Ok, you'd go for the Live for its massive sample storage and huge Ram, but does the Live have these features inside ? :
Audio track features (x8)

1 × Specialized machine
1 × Track recorder
1 × Amplitude envelope
3 × LFOs
2 × User selectable track effects

MIDI track features (x8)

1 × Arpeggiator
3 × LFOs
10 × configurable CCs

Sequencer

8 × Audio tracks
8 × MIDI tracks
Up to 64 steps per pattern
Individual track lengths
Individual track time signatures
Chromatic, slice, slot, and delay freeze modes
Parameter locks
Sample-per-step change
Micro timing
Retrig functionality

Let me know,
Thank you very much
By Ill-Green Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm
From what I know, Live does not have P-Lock. It does have 8 audio tracks standalone/128 audio tracks on software and 64 to 128 MIDI tracks and there are various parameters for the tracks which are still unknown unless Masada or Jah wanna chime in. The micro timing can be done with the touch screen of moving notes around the grid to anywhere you please.

Can't say much info about the Live thats already out, you gonna have to search it out and figure it on your own.

But if those are the features you look for, then the upcoming Digitakt or Octatrack will be for you.
By jpeg Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:02 pm
loopman wrote:by Ill-Green » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:42 pm
From what I know, Live does not have P-Lock. It does have 8 audio tracks standalone/128 audio tracks on software and 64 to 128 MIDI tracks and there are various parameters for the tracks which are still unknown unless Masada or Jah wanna chime in. The micro timing can

tbh honest u need to decide for urself; u should be able to compare the features of both and make a decision on which one best fits ur workflow.

if u cannot decide by watching vids and reading features u should buy and try.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:32 pm
Too many unknowns regarding the new MPC Software 2.0, so no one here can really answer your questions until Akai release it, they might have fixed some of the existing omissions (e.g. you cannot record tempo changes within a sequence). But currently it certainly cannot assign different time signatures per 'track' - but you can of course use a different time signature for each sequence in your song.

But seriously, you need to wait until the thing is released, and perhaps ask Akai sales dept. for official clarification on all your questions.
By TheUnfuckwithable Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:42 pm
loopman wrote:I'm undecided if to buy the new MPC Live or the Elektron Octatrack.

Don´t buy the "MPC" Live. Akai is a scum company that don´t give a sh!t about their users. Plus they build crappy "hardware".
Just get the Octatrack and call it a day.

:smoker:
By Fanu Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:24 pm
**** wrote:
loopman wrote:I'm undecided if to buy the new MPC Live or the Elektron Octatrack.

Don´t buy the "MPC" Live. Akai is a scum company that don´t give a sh!t about their users. Plus they build crappy "hardware".
Just get the Octatrack and call it a day.

Watch out, Akai...this guy's going to put you out of business with all the hard hating work he continues to do :lol:
By jpeg Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:42 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote: (e.g. you cannot record tempo changes within a sequence). But currently it certainly cannot assign different time signatures per 'track' - but you can of course use a different time signature for each sequence in your song.

thats why I say the person needs to evaluate his own requirements because those features you mentioned may not be required in his workflow.

I always have to caution against people asking which product to buy
By TheUnfuckwithable Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:17 pm
Fanu wrote:Watch out, Akai...this guy's going to put you out of business with all the hard hating work he continues to do :lol:

That won´t happen unfortuantely. There are way too many dicksucking...erm...I mean loyal Nukai fans around.