MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By soultrane28 Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:45 pm
OK, so we know there's no VSTi or AU in standalone mode.

Which means no Kontakt. But Kontakt plus Ren is powerful and easy.

Is it going to be possible for programmers who are releasing in Kontakt to start releasing MPC versions of their libraries? Say something like the Neo Soul Rhodes... they did a Motif one, shouldn't they be able to do an MPC version?

Ditto Spectrasonics, could you get a Stylus MPC version?

These sample player platforms, UVI, Kontakt, EXS24, Halion, etc... couldn't all those libraries become available for MPC, theoretically?
By MPC-Tutor Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:30 pm
Are you talking about converting Kontakt libraries to MPC format? If so, the current MPC keygroup (or drum) program format is too lacking to 'properly' port anything but the most basic Kontakt library over to it. You could create a basic, stripped down 'adaptation', but Kontakt uses it's own scripting language to perform all sorts of wizardry, MPC programs are unlikely to ever have such a unique feature IMO.

I think the Neo Soul Rhodes adaptations are all made to use whatever features are available in the target environment, so their conversions vary in complexity and quality, with inevitable compromises. Performance will always be an issue compared to Kontakt, as for a start there's no lossless file compression option in MPCs like there is in Kontakt.

I think Akai would need to improve the keygroup program format significantly if they want to attract Kontakt library developers to take the time come up with suitable conversions of their existing libraries. Being able to create a fancy front end interface whose controls tie into combinations of effects and program parameters would also be helpful for the developers.

What we might eventually see are VST instruments adapted to work in the standalone environment, be it Sonivox/Air Music content and perhaps eventually third party adaptations (i.e. working in partnership with Akai) - released as 'expansion' plugins like Hybrid, Wub etc. That's assuming it will ever be possible to port VSTs over to standalone mode.
By Mono-Amine Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:58 pm
rookie wrote:The more we get, the more we want.

They have introduced a new workflow presenting it as running a FULL 2.0 software. Technically the lack of vsteffects and instruments in standalone is not FULL software, so its not strange wanting these capabilities. I ordered the mpclive knowing in my back head its only logical akai will open some vststore like reason has for adding adapted plugins.

I rely on some plugins for getting my sound. Image running the standalones with the fabfilter effects or the microtonic drumsynth for controllable subs, the cpu in the live (a 1.8GZ quadcore) is certainly up for running a bunch of adaptable and optimized plugins (they dont need a gui and can be run on less cpu then the usual versions just like the glue compressor in ableton live). I just hope we will see some proper distortions, limiters and filters added to make the new MPCrange real powermachines. A proper synth like sylenth, the synths from NI Komplete or something alike would be very welcome too. Anyhow the allready announced functionality and announcement making it ableton link compatible made me order it allready. If they hurry it will be the first hardware capable abletonlinkdevice which means rock solid sync to the vintage hardware in my studio and the ability to start and stop linked devices without stopping the master in liveperformancesituations
By RCamizzi Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:33 pm
I Agree with this. Without the VST plugins I'm accustomed to using in my workflow and have paid for, in standalone mode, I'll have to leave holes to fill in later so to speak. I thought about this and figured maybe in standalone on the go, I'd use "The Bank" or Hybrid and just change the program to another VST instrument I want once I get back to the lab and transfer the session to the computer. This is my idea for a workaround that will probably not be much of an issue.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:20 pm
Mono-Amine wrote: I ordered the mpclive knowing in my back head its only logical akai will open some vststore like reason has for adding adapted plugins.

If you don't mind me saying, that was an unwise assumption. While it might make sense to us for Akai to open up the standalone to third party VST adaptations, there's no guarantee that this will ever happen, or even if it's actually technically possible. Akai have been very clear that the standalone does not support VSTs and there has been zero indication that there's any plans to change this.

If you are so tied in with VSTs, just get a Touch or use the Live as a controller - accept that a standalone music making machine might not fit in with your workflow rather than expecting Akai to develop something that no other manufacturer has been able to do with any degree of success.

I do actually feel sorry for Akai. 5 years ago everyone was whining that the MPC wasn't standalone and didn't have audio tracks 'that's all we need, standalone with basic audio tracks and we'll be happy'. Now they have all that, but now they want tech that is designed for desktop processors to work in a device which is effectively running a mobile processor.
By greavous420 Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:39 pm
If manufacturers don't port all their plugins for iOS which has a massive userbase why would they do it for MPC standalone and make minimal money. Also then it takes one amazing plugin to take all the resources of the Live/X and then people will be saying that the MPC is underpowered. Then you will have to buy a new one every few years to be able to keep using modern VSTs pretty much making it a computer.

It's pretty simple. If you want VSTs then use it with a computer. How is this still a point of discussion?
By starmanwarz Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:56 pm
There are those who want a controller to use with their vst arsenal and those who want a standalone unit. The new MPC's do both, I don't understand what the problem is? What's the problem if your MPC is connected to a computer? Talking about the X which obviously doesn't have the mobility of the Live.

I am genuinely curious why you wouldn't want the MPC connected at all times. Would be great if someone could answer me that as I see that this is a hot topic and maybe i am missing something.
By Ill-Green Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:07 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote: I do actually feel sorry for Akai. 5 years ago everyone was whining that the MPC wasn't standalone and didn't have audio tracks 'that's all we need, standalone with basic audio tracks and we'll be happy'. Now they have all that, but now they want tech that is designed for desktop processors to work in a device which is effectively running a mobile processor.

Yeah especially with this new generation of beatmakers and producers that never got into standalone or was too young during the standalone heydays. Controllers plagued the production scene, Mark of the Unicorn were the first in controllers and software back in 1997, you know them better as MOTU now. But since then, its like a lot of users are spoiled by all the VSTs and apps that make their production sound like pros.

Glad I'm into the music side of production instead of specs and techs of a machine.
By peterpiper Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:20 pm
OMG :roll:
I don't get it.
people always want everything and more.
I don't know if Akai would have the skills to also put VST support into the new MPC. It would take much more CPU power if you want to use more than some simple FX or VSTi. This would raise the price and then people would complain about that.

BTW I havn't read anything about what components (CPU etc) are used for the new MPC line. Someone got insight or have a link or so? I guess they simply put a RasPi or a Odroid XU4 in it ;)

peace
By rookie Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:37 am
My thing is , if you rely on vst's the live or X might not be for you, just keep doing what you do. Also , how many times are you gonna leave your studio to record ,when you already have a compuer that you can connect too ? I use vst instruments and plugs ins, but I also know how to sample and make music with limited gear, I wonder what some would do if they just had a piano in front of them...no computer or mpc and an artist wanted a song?
Last edited by rookie on Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Living Bate Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:41 am
rookie wrote:I wonder what some would do if they just had a piano in front of them...no computer or mpc and an artist wanted a song?

to be fair I think even the big name producers who blokes aspire to be like would struggle in that situation....

that's why we are all posting on MPC Forums and not Steinway Forums
By rookie Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:22 pm
Living Bate wrote:
rookie wrote:I wonder what some would do if they just had a piano in front of them...no computer or mpc and an artist wanted a song?

to be fair I think even the big name producers who blokes aspire to be like would struggle in that situation....

that's why we are all posting on MPC Forums and not Steinway Forums

To be fair,you missed the point.