MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By peterpiper Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:34 pm
@MPC Tutor:
Thanks
This changed my point of view of this thread cause if it is really this board, people might be able to run extra code on it and use extra features of the board.
peace
By soultrane28 Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:55 pm
Guys, I'm not talking about running vsti's on the MPCX;

I'm speaking about Kontakt (or other soft samplers) and whether those libraries will be ported over to the MPC format.

I understand something really intricate, like Scarbee Funk Guitars, that involves a lot of scripting, wouldn't translate very well, but there are a lot of great sample libraries it would be nice to load on to the unit.

The point being, since the X will now have greater storage than an S6000, it would be nice to have a good keygroup / multisample format so you can have some of those instruments available on the road in standalone.
By greavous420 Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:46 pm
soultrane28 wrote:Guys, I'm not talking about running vsti's on the MPCX;

I'm speaking about Kontakt (or other soft samplers) and whether those libraries will be ported over to the MPC format.

I understand something really intricate, like Scarbee Funk Guitars, that involves a lot of scripting, wouldn't translate very well, but there are a lot of great sample libraries it would be nice to load on to the unit.

The point being, since the X will now have greater storage than an S6000, it would be nice to have a good keygroup / multisample format so you can have some of those instruments available on the road in standalone.

Can't see it happening. There is already a pretty large amount of programs people have made and sell, people such as MPC-Tutor. NI developing for MPC is a long shot... but noone expected Apple Music to be on Android so never say never.
By richie Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:52 pm
I'm pretty sure that you can find the equivalent to Scarbee on an Akai format CD. Such as Will Lee Base Library, use your googles and you can find enough Akai sample isos to fit your fancy.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:42 pm
'MPC' specific format is on the whole rarely supported by third party libraries, even when they've included Maschine specific versions. Why? Probably because they don't see the MPC market as particularly lucrative. Akai will probably need to pay for the conversions to be made rather than for third parties to make them off their own back, but that could happen.

But going back in time, any of those old sample libraries in AKP format will load into the standalones (you'll need to tweak envelopes, and velocity-sensitive settings might not transfer properly). But stuff like keygroup crossfading is not supported.

All the multisample libraries I've put out recently all push things as far as possible for MPC keygroup spec - if Akai raise the spec, I'll follow with more complex libraries.
By Mono-Amine Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:17 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Mono-Amine wrote: I ordered the mpclive knowing in my back head its only logical akai will open some vststore like reason has for adding adapted plugins.

If you don't mind me saying, that was an unwise assumption.

I.

It is the only businessmodel they can use where they can keep making money after selling the unit itself. and it will mean keeping musicians like me onboard. Next to this akai's andy mac allready named it as possibly in one of the nammvideo's

If you conclude this as unwise, look at how good it is working for reason, both for the developers and the the propellerheads themselves
By Mono-Amine Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:20 pm
Because i bought the mpclive for live performances among some other things, computers and vintage hardware enough in my studio, but im getting tired of always using the laptop during performances. The live might be a gamechanger if akai keeps developing it wisely. im hopefull for it

greavous420 wrote:If manufacturers don't port all their plugins for iOS which has a massive userbase why would they do it for MPC standalone and make minimal money. Also then it takes one amazing plugin to take all the resources of the Live/X and then people will be saying that the MPC is underpowered. Then you will have to buy a new one every few years to be able to keep using modern VSTs pretty much making it a computer.

It's pretty simple. If you want VSTs then use it with a computer. How is this still a point of discussion?
By Mono-Amine Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:21 pm
official information from AKAI

What are the system specs of the MPC Live?

The MPC Live has its own embedded system which sports a 1.8GHz quad core processor and 2GB of RAM.

For internal storage, the MPC Live has 16GB on board. There are 10GB of studio quality sounds pre-loaded and another 6GB for you to work with. You can use the 2 onboard USB ports to add more samples or to provide extra storage. There is also a compartment on the bottom of the MPC Live which houses a SATA port for installing an optional HDD or SDD.

peterpiper wrote:OMG :roll:
I don't get it.
people always want everything and more.
I don't know if Akai would have the skills to also put VST support into the new MPC. It would take much more CPU power if you want to use more than some simple FX or VSTi. This would raise the price and then people would complain about that.

BTW I havn't read anything about what components (CPU etc) are used for the new MPC line. Someone got insight or have a link or so? I guess they simply put a RasPi or a Odroid XU4 in it ;)

peace
By richie Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:31 pm
@mpc-tutor Kontakt does however import Akai libraries, with the sustain points and such. I use them regularly.
By Subby32 Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:49 am
The success of the X and the Live will depend imo on Akai's ability to make the transition from standalone to controller mode as seamless as possible.
VSTs running on the hardware are simply not going to happen as there is a difference in processor architecture and the specs of both machines are only sufficient enough to run the native OS.
Being able to hit one "render to standalone" button which could freeze/render all plugins and VST instruments and create new midi tracks with the samples placed and properly chopped would ease the transition, but I foresee this subject being an ongoing situation over the life-cycle of these products where users' feature requests are not met in a timely manner.
I also fear people are going to be disappointed when realizing that controller mode will add the inherent latency of running on an X86 platform, affecting both screen and pad responsiveness.
It would be great to see functionality where in controller mode the hardware units still run the native Linux based OS and continuously render/sample the audio coming from the 2.0 software running on a PC / Mac.
An option to toggle between "computer audio"or "hardware audio" outputs could potentially ask if the user would like to render all changes in processing upon entering back into "hardware audio" mode. This could even be an offline, "behind-the-scenes" feature to minimize rendering times. That would retain the immediacy of response of the hardware and enable a workflow where, while the user is able to use the computer for VST processing, the hardware units processing is simultaneously being utilized for making the transition to standalone operation not only simplified, but available in real time and most importantly preferable to work in over controller mode. Lets hope the standalone hardware's processing will be doing something beneficial while working in controller mode.
By jpeg Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:04 pm
Subby32 wrote:The success of the X and the Live will depend imo on Akai's ability to make the transition from standalone to controller mode as seamless as possible.

I also fear people are going to be disappointed when realizing that controller mode will add the inherent latency of running on an X86 platform, affecting both screen and pad responsiveness.
This could even be an offline, "behind-the-scenes" feature to minimize rendering times.

pure speculation and conjecture; what evidence do u have that the live latency when in controller mode; why do u think the GPU in the live stops working when connected in controller mode, what makes u thin the usb 3 connection is not fast enough in controller mode for there to be no latency?