MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By funkycoldmedina Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 pm
I want to keep using 1.6 software with my Ren. If I get a Live, could I also have a instance of 2.0 software that I use with the Live while keeping my 1.6/Ren combo in tact?

So 2 versions on one computer:
1.6 with Ren
2.0 with Live

Would this be possible? Anyone?
Thanks!
By Glm Wed May 03, 2017 5:59 pm
I'm using 1.9.6 and 2.0 at this moment on Mac.
Be sure to make a backup from your existing mpc application in the program folder and your mpc.vst and mpc.au.
The mpc 2.0 installer overwrites the existing 1.9.6 application.

You can't run them simultaneously , but you can switch between them.
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 04, 2017 8:06 am
funkycoldmedina wrote:Load how? Like I could have both 1.6 and 2.0 co-exist in my dock on a Macbook Pro? Or I would have to uninstall/reinstall every time I wanted to flip back and forth?

On a Mac, the 'MPC Software' consists of the main application (Applications > MPC), shared resources in 'Library > Application Support > Akai > MPC' (e.g. vintage plugins, internal effects, expansions, etc) , the 'MPC' plugins (Library > Audio > Plugins) and the main preferences file, 'MPC.settings' in 'User Library > Application Support > MPC '.

As long as you give each one a unique name you can copy multiple 'MPC' applications into the 'Applications' folder - i.e. 'MPC 1.9.6', 'MPC 1.6' and so on. It might be possible to do the same with the plugin versions.

The issue is that these apps will all be hard coded to access the same shared resources and preference file, so it depends on how these shared resources have been changed for 2.0; i.e. are they still backwards compatible?

It's worth noting that the mpc.settings file is not deleted during an uninstall, so Akai saying you can revert back to 1.9.6 by uninstalling 2.0 would suggest that 1.9.6 will happily read the mpc.settings file generated by MPC 2.0. I casually looked through the mpc.settings file and it does seem to retain the same data used in 1.9.6, but also has lots of extra data specific for 2.0.

I have tried this and seem to be able to switch back and forth, both apps will load (only one at a time), no errors yet but I haven't tested it for more than a minute. I would recommend before doing any of this you back up your MPC.settings file for each MPC version you run (rename the 'mpc.settings.1.9.6' and so on) and if you have issues remember you can just uninstall and reinstall your favourite version which should put back the correct shared resources for that version.