MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By zangetsu01 Thu May 11, 2017 6:36 am
Dan from Akai on GS:

There will be a backup function that will allow you to backup the user files. That will come in an update. Unfortunately, I can't say exactly when that will come, officially. As to MPC Expansions, we plan on having a way in MPC Software to dump one or all of your installed expansions on to the hardware, or potentially a way to automatically load them from a USB thumb drive, but we're still exploring the options.
By MPC-Tutor Thu May 11, 2017 8:54 am
Dan, Akai wrote:There will be a backup function that will allow you to backup the user files. That will come in an update. Unfortunately, I can't say exactly when that will come, officially. As to MPC Expansions, we plan on having a way in MPC Software to dump one or all of your installed expansions on to the hardware, or potentially a way to automatically load them from a USB thumb drive, but we're still exploring the options.

Expansions are Akai's own created MPC Software pack format, they are the ones who've pushed the whole 'MPC Expansion' concept, people like myself have invested heavily in creating our packs in this format, and now the new MPC is released and cannot install or properly recognise those Expansions. You couldn't make it up. :Sigh:
By kaydigi Thu May 11, 2017 12:12 pm
Dan said he is looking into it. I rushed this morning before worked and tried it with a sd card and didn't get it to work. I'll try with the internal ssd this afternoon.

Dan, Anyway to have expansions show up in THE LIVE browser besides having them located in the Internal---> Expansions folder. Can we have expansions on our SSD/USB Stick and have it still show under My Places where CLIPS/Instruments/ The Vault 2. It will at least help with the sorting.

Dan Gill wrote:I believe that may already be working, if the directory structure on the removable media is the same, but I'll have to confirm in the office tomorrow.
By marctronixx Thu May 11, 2017 1:47 pm
Im a long time s950 user since it was launched and my last mpc was the 2000XL Studio, so this expansion thingy is foreign to me (I know I know im in the minority here) . That said i can understand the frustration with you cats who use computers and MPCs together.

Perhaps akai already knew this would be something you cats would want but didnt have time to implement it in the time frame allotted from Inmusic management. Many know these new products (just like movies) have a launch date and usually they are not able to be pushed back.

Or! :D

Perhaps akai didn't think too much of it because most of you all who have these packs probably would be connected to the computer anyway, so you would have access to them that way.
By theCOO Sat May 13, 2017 7:37 pm
so Akai are now doing a promo - £80.99 / $99.99 for 5 MPC expansion packs.

are you guys saying, if i was to purchase these expansion packs for my (not yet received) MPC Live, i'd just end up with 3500+ WAV files, no different than if i just bought regular sample packs from Loopmasters or whoever??

i.e. they wouldn't be arranged as "kits"?
By DJaydid Sat May 13, 2017 8:37 pm
theCOO wrote:so Akai are now doing a promo - £80.99 / $99.99 for 5 MPC expansion packs.

are you guys saying, if i was to purchase these expansion packs for my (not yet received) MPC Live, i'd just end up with 3500+ WAV files, no different than if i just bought regular sample packs from Loopmasters or whoever??

i.e. they wouldn't be arranged as "kits"?

Not on the mpc live (standalone). For now you have to plug into computer in controller mode to use the expansions as intended. :WTF:
By kaydigi Wed May 17, 2017 6:38 pm
Update from Dan about Expansions Organization.

Dan, Anyway to have expansions show up in THE LIVE browser besides having them located in the Internal---> Expansions folder. Can we have expansions on our SSD/USB Stick and have it still show under My Places where CLIPS/Instruments/ The Vault 2. It will at least help with the sorting.

Dan Gill wrote:I believe that may already be working, if the directory structure on the removable media is the same, but I'll have to confirm in the office tomorrow.

Hi, I was, and turns out I was wrong. It's not currently in there. It will be in the first software update for MPC Live. Sorry i cant give a timeframe, but it's coming.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:45 pm
Dan Gill wrote:Hi, I was, and turns out I was wrong. It's not currently in there. It will be in the first software update for MPC Live. Sorry i cant give a timeframe, but it's coming.

We've had the first update for the MPC Live (2.0.3) - did it make it as promised (recognising expansion structure from an SD or USB drive)?
By Ill-Green Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:51 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Dan Gill wrote:Hi, I was, and turns out I was wrong. It's not currently in there. It will be in the first software update for MPC Live. Sorry i cant give a timeframe, but it's coming.

We've had the first update for the MPC Live (2.0.3) - did it make it as promised (recognising expansion structure from an SD or USB drive)?

No, don't know if its a PC to Linux issue or what, but my friend got it all blown up on his computer and tried transfering the expansions, still a no go. Sad, he was gonna lend me his SD card to load up my Live too :oops:
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:25 pm
Ill-Green wrote:don't know if its a PC to Linux issue or what

It's more of a 'ooops, I guess we didn't get round to implementing that yet' type of thing. It's hard to believe that this (and all things related to the inability to access the internal 16GB drive) wasn't looked at during the development stages.
By Certified Beatz Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:04 am
Wait what huh? I habe been creating expansions and i cant see it on my mpc x in controller mode.. no way u got to ne kidding me.. i have wasted a week on this and still habe not finished this cant ne true
By MPC-Tutor Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:04 am
There's no expansion browser in the touchscreen interface so I wouldn't bother with expansions if you are not working directly within the computer GUI. As things stand, expansions are ultimately a bit of a dead end IMO, I find their implementation in the computer GUI to be half-hearted at best and until Akai come up with a way of installing and actually using them 'effectively' in the hardware interface you should just stick to using folders.