MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 10, 2017 2:16 pm
So, regarding 'Internal/Expansions', this is fully writable? But only as a location to save files that are currently in memory? Is there no way to directly copy a folder to this location (e.g. from an SD card or from your computer via USB)?

I don't think you'll get any joy getting the MPC to recognise anything specifically as 'expansion content' that isn't inside that 'Internal/Expansions' folder.

I'm not entirely sure what Akai's plans are regarding 'standalone expansions', I've been involved in some discussions with Andy the past few months but I've yet to receive any confirmed details, so hopefully there is a plan to make this all work at some point.
By DJaydid Wed May 10, 2017 2:26 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:So, regarding 'Internal/Expansions', this is fully writable? But only as a location to save files that are currently in memory? Is there no way to directly copy a folder to this location (e.g. from an SD card or from your computer via USB)?

I don't think you'll get any joy getting the MPC to recognise anything specifically as 'expansion content' that isn't inside that 'Internal/Expansions' folder.

I'm not entirely sure what Akai's plans are regarding 'standalone expansions', I've been involved in some discussions with Andy the past few months but I've yet to receive any confirmed details, so hopefully there is a plan to make this all work at some point.

So wtf how do we get expansions on mpc when we can't access internal mpc drive by pc(and can barely access it on the Live for that matter) ? :Sigh:
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 10, 2017 2:45 pm
DJaydid wrote:So wtf how do we get expansions on mpc when we can't access internal mpc drive by pc(and can barely access it on the Live for that matter) ? :Sigh:

You can access the expansion content, as in all the programs, sounds and sequences - copy them from the Expansion content folders on your computer and add them to an SD card or USB drive. They can sit there on that drive and you can then load all the programs and sounds into your MPC from that external drive.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to 'install' these as 'expansions' yet. But ultimately there is no proper expansion browser in the hardware UI anyway, no program previews, images, tagging, groups etc so Expansions are pretty crippled in the hardware regardless.
By zangetsu01 Wed May 10, 2017 3:33 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
DJaydid wrote:So wtf how do we get expansions on mpc when we can't access internal mpc drive by pc(and can barely access it on the Live for that matter) ? :Sigh:

You can access the expansion content, as in all the programs, sounds and sequences - copy them from the Expansion content folders on your computer and add them to an SD card or USB drive. They can sit there on that drive and you can then load all the programs and sounds into your MPC from that external drive.

But there doesn't seem to be any way to 'install' these as 'expansions' yet. But ultimately there is no proper expansion browser in the hardware UI anyway, no program previews, images, tagging, groups etc so Expansions are pretty crippled in the hardware regardless.

I dont fully understand. Is it only the internal 16GB SSD that is limited or also the one that you can install yourself..?? :hmmm:
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 10, 2017 3:47 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:I dont fully understand. Is it only the internal 16GB SSD that is limited or also the one that you can install yourself..?? :hmmm:

I think it's just the internal 16GB that isn't accessible externally, I think it can be used as an internal 'save' location via the Browser (e.g. to the MPC Documents' folder etc), but you can't copy stuff to it from other disks or a computer, nor can it be backed up (eeek). I don't have the Live yet so cannot confirm, when it arrives I will thoroughly test it.
By DJaydid Wed May 10, 2017 4:36 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Zane tshu01 wrote:I dont fully understand. Is it only the internal 16GB SSD that is limited or also the one that you can install yourself..?? :hmmm:

I think it's just the internal 16GB that isn't accessible externally, I think it can be used as an internal 'save' location via the Browser (e.g. to the MPC Documents' folder etc), but you can't copy stuff to it from other disks or a computer, nor can it be backed up (eeek). I don't have the Live yet so cannot confirm, when it arrives I will thoroughly test it.

I have it and find your statements true and it sucks. Small gripe right now, because Im very impressed with the rest.
By chino Wed May 10, 2017 5:46 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I think it's just the internal 16GB that isn't accessible externally, I think it can be used as an internal 'save' location via the Browser (e.g. to the MPC Documents' folder etc), but you can't copy stuff to it from other disks or a computer, nor can it be backed up (eeek). I don't have the Live yet so cannot confirm, when it arrives I will thoroughly test it.

Just to clarify….Can I erase some of the original content off of the 16GB internal HD and replace it with my own sample library?
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 10, 2017 5:54 pm
chino wrote:Just to clarify….Can I erase some of the original content off of the 16GB internal HD and replace it with my own sample library?

You are able to delete files and folders (hold down SHIFT in BROWSER), but you cannot copy folders of content over to the internal drive. It seems Akai want you to put your own library on your own installed SATA drive (probably the best option), or on an external drive (SD/USB). I believe you can bulk copy folders to your own internal drive in controller mode, just not to the 16GB one that came with the unit.

It's a bit baffling that you have no way of backing up content that will be saved on the original internal drive, so ATM I would say don't save anything to the MPC Documents folder until we know how to back it all up.
By chino Wed May 10, 2017 6:26 pm
@Tutor- Thanks for the speedy reply! Maybe Akai is concerned about their original content being copied and shared?

Oh well, looks like I will need to add a nice size SSD once I purchase the Live and back everything up on a USB flash drive and/or my computer.
By chino Wed May 10, 2017 7:15 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:Or maybe they want to save some room for future updates..

Yes! I like the positive thinking!! Come on Akai… bring on the MPC software/firmware updates!!! :nod:
By kaydigi Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm
chino wrote:@Tutor- Thanks for the speedy reply! Maybe Akai is concerned about their original content being copied and shared?

Oh well, looks like I will need to add a nice size SSD once I purchase the Live and back everything up on a USB flash drive and/or my computer.

They give you backups when you register the Live, they are downloadable.

In your akai pro account, these show up under MPC LIVE

The Vault 2.0 (MPC Live - Windows)
The Vault 2.0 (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Clip Launch Pack (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Clip Launch Pack (MPC Live - Mac)
Essential Instruments 2 (MPC Live - Windows)
Essential Instruments 2 (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Demo Projects (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Demo Projects (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Deep House (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Deep House (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Drum N Bass (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Drum N Bass (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 EDM & Future House (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 EDM & Future House (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Tech House (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Tech House (MPC Live - Mac)
MPC 2.0 Techno (MPC Live - Windows)
MPC 2.0 Techno (MPC Live - Mac)
By b-righteous Wed May 10, 2017 9:44 pm
Just looks like the internal is meant to be more of a read only drive for factory content (even though you can save to it.) Just install a 2.5 drive or USB thumb for all user content. Only use the internal for loading up factory stuff. Nothing unusual about this compared to other samplers with ROM or factory content on read only CD.
By kaydigi Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 pm
b-righteous wrote:Just looks like the internal is meant to be more of a read only drive for factory content (even though you can save to it.) Just install a 2.5 drive or USB thumb for all user content. Only use the internal for loading up factory stuff. Nothing unusual about this compared to other samplers with ROM or factory content on read only CD.

But the preinstalled content gets their expansion name as a shortcut on the main browser screen. This saves a few clicks instead of delving into sub folder selections. If you copy your own expansion programs or xpa's into the internal expansion folder, you get a browser shortcut made also. Why can't they make a browser shortcut toggle option for our local drive. That would be a good compromise to the old folder way.