MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bafonso Tue May 16, 2017 2:08 pm
I'm wondering if someone has made or is planning on making that move? I currently have some fat pads on my 1k which I like.. but as far as workflow and pad feeling, has anyone compared, made the move or planning on it?
By J.O.BEATS Tue May 16, 2017 3:25 pm
The hardware on the Live is great (pads, touch screen, jog wheel etc). The work flow is considerably different though. You should ask yourself why you want to upgrade from the 1000. What are you needing to do in it that you can't but can with the Live.

It's still an mpc work flow (programs, tracks , sequences) but the touchscreen and all the added features makes it bloated and navigation can be confusing at first. Like Tutor said it'll take time with it to get comfortable. I've had it just a handful of days and making beats but also have spent a lot of time clicking menus, shift button, double tapping, etc just to see what is all there
By Ill-Green Tue May 16, 2017 3:37 pm
The move from the 1k to Live is like coming out a damp musty cave for fresh air. Pads are very responsive, no need for brawn to get a loud sound, just tap like a piano.
By allank Thu May 18, 2017 5:12 am
I've got a 2500 w/large screen and JJOS128xl..
Haven't seen anything on a Live video, that would make me want to change yet..

"Yet" is a very important word...
But after years on a 2000xl and then getting the 2500 a few years ago, I'm only just getting used to all the additional features that JJOS128xl gives me..

Changing again, would result in another slow down..
By zangetsu01 Thu May 18, 2017 8:24 am
allank wrote:I've got a 2500 w/large screen and JJOS128xl..
Haven't seen anything on a Live video, that would make me want to change yet..

"Yet" is a very important word...
But after years on a 2000xl and then getting the 2500 a few years ago, I'm only just getting used to all the additional features that JJOS128xl gives me..

Changing again, would result in another slow down..

Are you satisfied with the sound quality of the 2500..??
By JeriKo Jackson Thu May 18, 2017 10:13 am
I'm switching from the 1k. A few things factored into my decision.

1. Pads. I have the upgraded sensors but the size if those pads is the wack. It was the one thing in my 10 years on it that couldn't be fixed. I used to use my 2kxl to trigger it for 6 of those years lol.

2. Sound. It's on the brittle harsh side. My 2kxl had a punchier and overall richer sound and clarity. I had a 2500 for a while too... it was the same harsh brittleness. I used the mfc filter rack with my1k a lot.

the added features and future development are appealing too. USB, 16 qlinks, more effects options, battery etc

The thing I will miss is flying around my buttons.... I'm not in love with touch screens. And sliders, knobs are cool, but I like faders more.
By Danoc Thu May 18, 2017 4:25 pm
We are talking about the MPC 1000 right? I say go for the Live! Yes like Tutor said you will have to take a period to get use to it. I come from the MPC2000xl and I know that machine in and out, I love that machine, but now I found a new love! The Pads are freakin delicious! LOL Sturdy, and everything is just sexy about it. 2000xl is built like a tank, this is not, and you have to handle with care, but its not lite either. AD/DA converters are dope, and it sounds good. The 1000 is ok, but the Live would be an upgrade for sure. You wouldn't have to add no fat pads they are already there. You would definitely be ok, and I know this will rock in my work flow, and all you would need to do is get use to doing things in a new way, that's all and its not that hard. I didn't open a manual or nothing I am just going through it with the ease.

It has more than what I wanted, good gosh! Imagine the X! I don't even want the X now, that would be over kill.

bafonso wrote:I'm wondering if someone has made or is planning on making that move? I currently have some fat pads on my 1k which I like.. but as far as workflow and pad feeling, has anyone compared, made the move or planning on it?
By bafonso Fri May 19, 2017 1:37 pm
Does the touch use the same pads? I could get it and see if I like the feel and workflow... I just don't love the touch screen as an interface as much as tactical feel of using a traditional mpc.
By kaydigi Fri May 19, 2017 2:27 pm
bafonso wrote:Does the touch use the same pads? I could get it and see if I like the feel and workflow... I just don't love the touch screen as an interface as much as tactical feel of using a traditional mpc.

It's hard to go back to a touch after the LIVE. The LIVE is so much faster. I didn't think the Touch screen lagged until I used the Live.
By Danoc Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 pm
KAYDIGI:
"It's hard to go back to a touch after the LIVE. The LIVE is so much faster. I didn't think the Touch screen lagged until I used the Live."

I have to totally agree with kaydigi, the screen on the Live is super responsive, the pads on the Live, is dope with a capital D! They are thick and sturdy, you won't have anything to worry about. The screen is not lagging one bit, that sh** is on point! One up for Akai for this one!!!!

bafonso wrote:Does the touch use the same pads? I could get it and see if I like the feel and workflow... I just don't love the touch screen as an interface as much as tactical feel of using a traditional mpc.
By TarikhMizan Fri May 19, 2017 6:28 pm
I'm dealing with this now, I stay in Colorado Springs where people don't really buy used like in LA or something. Anyway I hooked my live to the computer and was blown away no lag at all, plus my touch always seems to get unplugged and it would crash mpc software sometimes. They shouldn't have made the touch it's so not fair for us touch guys because now the touch is becoming forgotten like the renaissance.

kaydigi wrote:

It's hard to go back to a touch after the LIVE. The LIVE is so much faster. I didn't think the Touch screen lagged until I used the Live.
By J.O.BEATS Fri May 19, 2017 9:03 pm
I feel bad for the touch users. They were used like lab rats to test the live touch screen and shelled out a grip load of cash to do so

Akai should give you all a trade in option
By tsutek Mon May 22, 2017 10:51 am
I've been using a 1k with JJOS a few years and am getting the live this week. Certainly looking forward to it! All I wanted was a better screen and a proper CYCLE function that doesn't spam the trigs across the cycled pads. The new pads and battery should be good as well. And being onboard a platform thatis still "actively developed" feels good too.