MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By BeatWilson Fri May 19, 2017 7:03 pm
So Ive heard something about the MPC Live like there no side chain compression in standalone mode, No warp on midi files but only on audio tracks. Beyond all the other things I've heard like no Drag and Dropping or organizing tracks from the Hardware do you still think this machine is worth it?

Can someone explain the effects and what you have and don't have?
Also how is it for transferring files to your computer? Im hoping its very easy to transfer to the MPC Software and to Ableton. Thats big one.

Ive owned a MPC 1000, 2500, and 5000. I love the work flow. I also own maschine which is good but my gripe is the pads on maschine and obviously not being standalone.

I don't want to buy a piece of hardware because its NEW i want something that will actually do what i want which is make hiphop from standalone. The touch screen is ok, I'm not the biggest fan. Im also not the biggest fan that the pad are on the left, but still i am interested in this machine. I was gonna wait for a price drop in the near future but ran into some money so its between this or getting an MPCX in the near future.

Help a brother out. Thanks
By Lampdog Fri May 19, 2017 7:58 pm
I'm waiting for the X.

You can make hiphop without warp, without drag and drop, without transferring files, without side chain compression though.
By Fanu Fri May 19, 2017 8:04 pm
A lot of dudes wanting sidechain compression just gotta learn how to pick the right kick and bass...it really isn't hard.
For super optimal results, have kick and bass sit an octave apart from each other and boom there you have it.
I rarely sc comp them tbh.
By BeatWilson Fri May 19, 2017 10:27 pm
Yeah i know how to work around Side Chain with tremolo and octaves, but honestly it sounds a lot cleaner with it. I know how to make beats without warp and all that but it is a very nice feature to have TBH. I am a battle dj, i make instruments/breaks in my off time. I come from a Drum and Bass Producer background so side chain is just apart of the game more or less. I dip into glitch hop and funk as well, but my plan is to make some Break Vinyls in the near future. But yeah i think i may wait it out for the X just cause i like having the Q links on the left side and I'm honestly used to having a desktop MPC infront of me.

Its just they advertise it as a DAW and it would be nice if they include side chain.
By Living Bate Sat May 20, 2017 7:09 am
no drag and drop is a madness though
By stale bread Sun May 21, 2017 11:19 am
is the mpc Live going to get side chain compression or not?
can someone please explain the lack of drag n drop, are you talking about in the desktop software or are you saying there is no drag n drop on the touchscreen of the mpc live?
By Living Bate Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 pm
the internal drive on the MPC doesn't show on the computer as an external drive so you cant drag and drop samples to it

iconic vintage work around
By emdog Tue May 23, 2017 3:31 am
You can drag and drop. The hard drive shows up as a removable disc
By tsutek Tue May 23, 2017 9:06 am
cant you automate your comp threshold for that sidechain pump?
By Fanu Tue May 23, 2017 9:44 am
tsutek wrote:cant you automate your comp threshold for that sidechain pump?

Surely anyone can do that, but that's a bit long if you think about it.
By tsutek Tue May 23, 2017 12:11 pm
sure, but if that's what it takes.. I don't know if any standalone MPC has ever done sidechain compression. Not a biggie in my book.
By Fanu Tue May 23, 2017 12:32 pm
tsutek wrote:sure, but if that's what it takes.. I don't know if any standalone MPC has ever done sidechain compression. Not a biggie in my book.

I'd almost consider it doable if you could easily draw and copy automation on standalone.
Currently, no way in hell.
By tsutek Tue May 23, 2017 12:37 pm
I thought copy/pasting automations (not MIDI CC) was possible?
Going to pick up my live tonight so I've still to discover what's missing from the "promised" featureset.. Lets hope proper automation editing will be coming along with the first updates for the standalones.
By Fanu Tue May 23, 2017 12:47 pm
tsutek wrote:I thought copy/pasting automations (not MIDI CC) was possible?
Going to pick up my live tonight so I've still to discover what's missing from the "promised" featureset.. Lets hope proper automation editing will be coming along with the first updates for the standalones.

You cannot copy just automation with standalone: it'll copy events, too.