MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By saturate Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:46 pm
Yep, I removed the drive and it still did the same. Slept on it overnight, woke up and now it works. I'm afraid to put the SATA drive back in. Haha.
It was a Samsung Evo, which lots of folks say is the best one to use. Who knows.
I may get brave again later today. :)
By saturate Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 pm
Yeah I pulled out the SSD, and it kept doing the same.

Went to bed, left it plugged in. Woke up and it was fine. Made some music with the SSD installed.

Now it's doing it again. :/ Was not removed from power or anything. Seems to just intermittently stop working. Have contacted Akai, but their customer service isn't open on weekends (of course).
By EnochLight Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:42 am
saturate wrote:Yeah I pulled out the SSD, and it kept doing the same.

Went to bed, left it plugged in. Woke up and it was fine. Made some music with the SSD installed.

Now it's doing it again. :/ Was not removed from power or anything. Seems to just intermittently stop working. Have contacted Akai, but their customer service isn't open on weekends (of course).

Hmmm... yeah, I've got the Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB installed in mine. I formatted it in exFAT as recommended as well, but I did everything in Windows Disk Management. Have you been using your Live in "controller mode" hooked up to a computer, and shutting it off (or switching to standalone) before ejecting it through your attached USB devices?
By saturate Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:59 am
Nope. Never got far enough to use it in controller mode. I did the firmware update successfully, but that's all I did connected to my computer. I had studied setup of the Live in great detail before its arrival, I'm the kind of person who actually enjoys reading the (*ing) manual.

I had less than 2 hours of time with the unit working, 30 minutes of which included the unit working perfectly with installed Samsung Evo SSD. But after that, nothing. Just shutdowns, even after sitting overnight. It remained plugged into power the entire time, and when it was operational, the battery went from around 70% (out of the box) to 100% and remained at 100% as long as it was working.

I talked to Akai Pro yesterday, they said it's surely a defective unit. Sent it in today, chances are they'll send me a new one as a replacement.

They were very cool on the phone, asked a few questions then the technician consulted (I presume his superior) and came back with a solution right away. Overall this was a pretty lame way to be introduced to such a great instrument... but customer service was really helpful and nice, I was impressed. So overall I am not complaining about Akai Pro as a company.
By EnochLight Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:23 pm
saturate wrote:I talked to Akai Pro yesterday, they said it's surely a defective unit. Sent it in today, chances are they'll send me a new one as a replacement.

They were very cool on the phone, asked a few questions then the technician consulted (I presume his superior) and came back with a solution right away. Overall this was a pretty lame way to be introduced to such a great instrument... but customer service was really helpful and nice, I was impressed. So overall I am not complaining about Akai Pro as a company.

Well it's great they got your sorted. It's unfortunate you couldn't just return it to your place of purchase and exchange it for another one, so you didn't have to wait. I take it that it was past their return policy?
By saturate Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:54 am
I bought it from zZounds so I'd have to send it back anyhow, and it seemed faster to just take the FedEx label from Akai & let them deal with it since they were planning to replace it outright rather than repair.
By Ramon Amezcua Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:25 am
Hello, today i had the same problem trying to power on my MPC LIVE, I plugged it in to the power supply button and hit power. It booted up to the main screen (MPC), but the screen was unresponsive to touch. After about 20 seconds I got the “shutting down” message. And it shut itself off. I let it charge for a few hours, tried again. Same thing. Tried it about 20 times, unplugged, plugged in, everything, also I removed the SSD drive and it still did the same.
By NewAkaiUser Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:52 pm
MPC Software in Standalone mode is very buggy. Better enable the autosave option. Just remember that autosave does not run in the background, so every 10 minutes it will disturb your work.
By EnochLight Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:00 pm
Ramon Amezcua wrote:Hello, today i had the same problem trying to power on my MPC LIVE, I plugged it in to the power supply button and hit power. It booted up to the main screen (MPC), but the screen was unresponsive to touch. After about 20 seconds I got the “shutting down” message. And it shut itself off. I let it charge for a few hours, tried again. Same thing. Tried it about 20 times, unplugged, plugged in, everything, also I removed the SSD drive and it still did the same.

You've got hardware failure somewhere. Either return it from where you bought it and exchange it, or request warranty service from Akai. If it's past your warranty, then you'll have to pay to have it serviced somewhere.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:32 pm
Not quite the same issue, but today I had the MPC Live insisting it was nearly out of charge whenever I disconnected the power supply, even though it was clearly fully charged. This was in controller mode, Mac 10.14.6 running 2.8.1

I switched to standalone and it was fine, switched back to controller mode and the problem persisted. Closing the MPC Software and re-launching fixed it. Maybe a bug in 2.8.1 - please report it here if you also experience it.
By HisDud3ness Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 am
I had this same problem. Whilst reading this forum I held the power button down until the lights lit up and it shut down again,hoping for some kind of reset. It worked..