MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Automageddon Wed May 31, 2017 2:54 pm
Hi guys,
let's assume you have to play a live set with multiple songs, how would you do that?
I would prefer not to load different projects, so I was thinking about creating a whole mega set with all the sequences and tracks I need, then play around with "next sequence" and 'Track mutes".

But as I work in a 1 project = 1 song way, how do I put all my songs into one single project?

Can I import a project into another project?

Sorry if this was in the manual, I might have missed it.

Apart from building a live set in a single project from scratches, do you have other suggestions?
By MPC-Tutor Wed May 31, 2017 3:45 pm
A project can have multiple songs in song mode. To import another project into your existing one you'll probably find your life a lot easier if you use the computer GUI. Locate the [projectData] for the project you wish to import and drag and drop all the sequences and programs into MAIN mode of your current project. The sequences unfortunately do not all load in one go, you have to confirm each one individually, but the programs (and their sounds) will load without problems unless you try loading sounds with the same name as existing sounds.

Once everything is in your project you can go about reorganising in song mode. It isn't partcularly intuitive :vomit:
By Cockdiesel Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 pm
Load a program with samples and just go at it is what I do. On the 4000 I'd have to keep the program screen up to make sure I was on the right bank. I was also using a 404 and a kaoss pad to transition things. Kept things real fresh for me.
I'd have a few banks of drums and a few of loops on the mpc, had a bunch of crazy sample on the 404 and use the looper on the kp3. Having atleast a bank of drum loops really helped. A buddy on a synth took some of the work load off of me though. Nothing like hearing a mpc on a good soundsystem. Nothing.
By Patientrichard Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:40 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:A project can have multiple songs in song mode. To import another project into your existing one you'll probably find your life a lot easier if you use the computer GUI. Locate the [projectData] for the project you wish to import and drag and drop all the sequences and programs into MAIN mode of your current project. The sequences unfortunately do not all load in one go, you have to confirm each one individually, but the programs (and their sounds) will load without problems unless you try loading sounds with the same name as existing sounds.

Once everything is in your project you can go about reorganising in song mode. It isn't partcularly intuitive :vomit:

I'm struggling with this, so hoping someone can assist.

Caveat-the first time I've opened the software, was today.

As everyone else, I'm looking for a way to have a few tracks inside of a project. These tracks are in their own projects.

I have the software open, and drag and drop the project data for track 1 into main. This loads up.

I use the drop down to select sequence 2 and import the project data of a new track,and it replaces everything on sequence 1 and doesn't allow for a second sequence to be created.

In the tracks themselves, I've bit used any other sequences.

Is there something in the software I need to adjust?

Has this process changed since Tutors post three years ago?

Is there a better workaround to accomplish this?
I'm aware this is a frequent topic, however this was the one that seems to suggest going in via the software route and seemed straight forward enough.

Cheers
By jamos Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:48 pm
I'm about to do my first live show with the Live. We opted to put every song in its own project just because the multiple song/project thing seems so limiting and flaky.

After we spent months developing the songs, I have copied all songs to a separate folder where they are numbered, so they are in order for the set. Changing to a new song only requires a double-press on the Menu button, one click and one push on the encoder, and then a few seconds to load. Everything is on an SSD and there are no audio tracks so load time is fast.

We will see how well this works.
By Patientrichard Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:27 am
I've been doing similar, with the octatrack mk2 taking up the dead air space.

I'm really interested in seeing if this software approach can help me by only having one piece of gear to take out-less gear to worry about, more drinking to be done!
By jabberwalky Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:33 pm
Patientrichard wrote:I've been doing similar, with the octatrack mk2 taking up the dead air space.

I'm really interested in seeing if this software approach can help me by only having one piece of gear to take out-less gear to worry about, more drinking to be done!

Is the Octa playing back long audio from the card or just doing it's own patterns? I once played a 20 minute black metal set with an octatrack, just playing back a long stem render, along with pattern changes. It worked kind of, but you can't really seek through the long files on Octa and there are a lot of reasons I moved to a MPC Live ha!

I still have my mk1 sitting around and want to work out a live set as well. Are they midi synced together? Just curious of the workflow.
By Patientrichard Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:51 pm
It's doing both!

I have a few pad transitions, taking advantage of the long playback, and giving a nice break during the set so I can reintroduce beats etc on the mpc.

I also have four or five transition tracks to mix into the mpc tracks. These are more 'locked groove' type tracks with a few scenes.

It works well enough, but yeah the one device thing would be a lot simpler.

I've considered putting the stems on the OT via the mpc as it sees the OT as an external drive, which is fine and all, but it makes them a lost more static and there's not much improvisation that can be done, like you can with the pads and mutes paradigm on the mpc.
By Ultros Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:11 pm
hehe total smart assy reply and definitely not the answer you want... i render my tracks and load them into the digital turntables. problem solved.
By jabberwalky Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:22 pm
Patientrichard wrote:It's doing both!

I have a few pad transitions, taking advantage of the long playback, and giving a nice break during the set so I can reintroduce beats etc on the mpc.

I also have four or five transition tracks to mix into the mpc tracks. These are more 'locked groove' type tracks with a few scenes.

It works well enough, but yeah the one device thing would be a lot simpler.

I've considered putting the stems on the OT via the mpc as it sees the OT as an external drive, which is fine and all, but it makes them a lost more static and there's not much improvisation that can be done, like you can with the pads and mutes paradigm on the mpc.

Awesome, thanks for the incite on that. This has me thinking that perhaps I could just use the Octa as a sort of "tape machine" and like you, program the fader to do simple mods while the MPC is loading projects.
By DokBrown Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:37 pm
If I tried to load too many songs into 1 project, I run out of sampling space.
Maybe this post should be here instead ???

LIVE MPC FORUM
viewforum.php?f=44