MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By sibo Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:04 pm
I've had a load of the MPC Live manuals printed up, having been disappointed to not get a paper copy with the unit.

I on't know about the rules on the forum regards this, so please delete if it counts as advertising or treads on anyone's toes!

£10+£5 postage in the UK
£10+£7 postage in the EU
£10+£10 postage to the US
By Living Bate Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:12 pm
for those kind of prices i'd want it printed onto tanned leather and bound with rocking horse shit
By PaddyWhack Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:23 pm
sibo wrote:I've had a load of the MPC Live manuals printed up, having been disappointed to not get a paper copy with the unit.

I on't know about the rules on the forum regards this, so please delete if it counts as advertising or treads on anyone's toes!

£10+£5 postage in the UK
£10+£7 postage in the EU
£10+£10 postage to the US

Nice offer there, matey at a good price. Last few bits of gear I bought all came just with a quick start manual and PDF download, so I guess that's the way now.

Just printed my own LIVE manual and what a PIA (no duplex printer): doing all the odd number pages and then reload for doing the even numbers, and having to watch the printer in case it accidentally picks up too many pages on second run.

My local printer charges just a few quid for spiral binding and clear covers. Good luck to ya.
By sibo Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:21 pm
Yeah, I've gone a bit fancier with a spiral bind, front and rear acetate and a rear cardboard cover.

Not quite rocking horse shit, but a bit nicer than the cheap guys.

212 pages too, it's a beast!
By marctronixx Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:03 pm
My issue with the first revision is there are a LOT of grammar errors and with the bluetooth and wifi not being implemented yet, this manual can get outdated quickly.

Once they do a rev2 of the manual and if you were to make one of those, ill gladly pay you. I in LA by the way.
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:54 pm
Stuck in the late shift, I printed it all on the company copier and half sized too so 4 pages can fit on one sheet (2 in front, 2 inback). No one knew shit.
By PaddyWhack Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:46 am
marctronixx wrote:My issue with the first revision is there are a LOT of grammar errors and with the bluetooth and wifi not being implemented yet, this manual can get outdated quickly.

Once they do a rev2 of the manual and if you were to make one of those, ill gladly pay you. I in LA by the way.

Hi there.
Do you anticipate a complete rewrite of the Live's manual for every revision? Or, as most other manufactures do, just issue a few addendum pages that can be added to the current one? Much easier to add extra pages and rebind?
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:07 am
Do we really need to be printing off a 200 page PDF in this day and age when you can read it on your phone, tablet, computer, ebook reader etc?

BTW, the problem with addendum pages is it assumes OS updates are nothing more than 'feature additions', when in reality they often contain significant changes to existing features. The leaves the manual as a whole quite fragmented and hard to follow. This is why I tend to completely rework my tutorial books each time there's significant changes to the OS, this way the book still reads as a flowing, progressively structured book.

If I can do it I don't see why someone at Akai can't sit down and just update the relevant sections of the existing manual each time they release an OS update?
By Moho Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:42 am
The printed version will be pretty useless unless all the embedded links (that have you bouncing round the manual like a pinball :x ) have been changed to a page number, or just give us a **** ing INDEX :Sigh: PDF or not.
By marctronixx Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:44 pm
Since you quoted me... :worthy:

No sherlock, i dont. But since this is a PDF manual they can just go in there and change /add things and just re-issue a newer version of the PDF. Lots of companies do this and thats why i said what i said.

In regards to if one needs a printed manual..

Well, there's something to be able to have a physical manual to flip through. My eyes are old and tired and i dont like scrolling and pinching to view things on screens, so for me (And im not alone) it's nice to have a paper manual to flip through.

No one NEEDS the mpc live but its a nice to have... :smoker:

PaddyWhack wrote:
marctronixx wrote:My issue with the first revision is there are a LOT of grammar errors and with the bluetooth and wifi not being implemented yet, this manual can get outdated quickly.

Hi there.
Do you anticipate a complete rewrite of the Live's manual for every revision? Or, as most other manufactures do, just issue a few addendum pages that can be added to the current one? Much easier to add extra pages and rebind?
By marctronixx Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:48 pm
Bro tell me about it. :wink:

And some of the links just say "here" and dont even have the description of what "here" is.. :)

It does seem to look as if the product was rushed a bit. Ive not seen a manual in this stage of issue on a professional product ( not just speaking about audio, but even cameras and video products).

Moho wrote:The printed version will be pretty useless unless all the embedded links (that have you bouncing round the manual like a pinball :x ) have been changed to a page number, or just give us a **** ing INDEX :Sigh: PDF or not.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Jun 02, 2017 1:55 pm
marctronixx wrote:And some of the links just say "here" and dont even have the description of what "here" is.. :)
It does seem to look as if the product was rushed a bit. Ive not seen a manual in this stage of issue on a professional product ( not just speaking about audio, but even cameras and video products).

I get the impression the manual is also 'beta', most of it is copy/paste from an older '1.9' manual that hasn't really been updated for 2.0 yet.
By marctronixx Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:56 pm
With the level of grammar issues throughout the PDF, I would have to agree. Seems it was proofread over by the person who wrote it and not a copy editor. Needed fresh eyes.

A couple of these grammar issues can make the description of a particular function ambiguous. Since this is my first "inmusic" product (i had a mpc 200xl studio when it was launched and a launch day s950 i still use) im not up to speed on the software side of things (pre 2.x).