MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By pulsefrequenz Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:20 am
Hi all,

in short: i was able to repeat a failure yesterday about 4 times. when i used only midi, internal programs, efx and clips, the mpc was rockstable.
whenever i used audiotracks, the MPC starts to get hickups, one crash, strange behaviour, "internal error" when saving or shutting down. but ONLY if i use the audiotracks (sample editor is fine).

i will try that at the weekend more intense, try to test the stability WITHOUT audiotracks... maybe thats the big faillure demon in this OS?

Did you experience the same? For me the system get stable again, as soon as i do a clean(!) restart (sometimes need to shut it down twice, to get a shut down without error messages)
By pulsefrequenz Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:12 am
Just to make things clear: Its not a drama... The MPC worked nearly perfect in the last two weeks... i am just trying to find out, what happened yesterday. :-)

ok, here we go. this is the only workflow that ended in a crash (it didnt crash again, but did hickups, when repeating the process). also to mention: files come from SATA SSD (256GB Samsung, forgot the name modell.. it won a price last year :-)).. also: all process steps with running MPC sequencer
1) browsing and adding clips (4-5 playing simultaneous)
2) browsing samples (with audition) and adding them to programs (two choped beats, chopping in sample edit, record a performance as miditrack in sequencer)
3) adding midi tracks (2 midi tracks controlling my prophet, on MIDI A+B Midiclock and MMC to prophet and analog rytm, both in perfect in sync, prophet as midikeyboard)
4) recording the prophet through MPC stereo into looper
5) stopped playback of looper... export as sample (sequencer still running)
6) added sample (browse sample) to audiotracks and directly then the screen turns black and the unit rebooted

i also repeated the step 1-4.. it did not crash again, but i had a lot of different small issues (never the same, but as soon as i repeat these steps and come to audiotrack, the system felt like its getting somehow unstable)... failures that i had:
a) project save or shutdown ends up in "internal error while shutdown or saving" (dont remember the correct wording)
b) sequencer had a strange delay (playing pads was responsive, recording them they have a delay of 1/8 note)
c) added audiofile (different files, all play back well in clip mode or recorded in looper) with "browse sample" in audiotracks: dont snap doesnt work, another time the audiotrack doesnt play back (level was ok, no mute acitvated)
d) 2 times a pad didnt reacted, playing a drum program (just like 1 of 100 hits, nothing that felt serious)

always after a clean reboot (no problems while shutdown), the MPC was superstable again...
try to make some more tests today and post them here... could also be something different, then audiotracks (last try yesterday, i used JUST audiotracks directly, they seem to work normal)...
By pulsefrequenz Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:06 pm
update:

SATA Drive to exFat (yep, read that it should be best... also tested other... i didnt had a problem here)

tested today... results in short:
1) did i had a crash... yes, but not the same (audiotracks worked today)... it happens 1 time of 30 reboots... tried to make a video, but whenever i recorded, everythings works :-) (if you like to see this, just post me... than you can be sure, it is NOT what i thought it is)
2) the crash appeared when i wanted to switch on the monitor on the looper... never had it... was different then yesterday
3) any issues with audiotracks? once... but super super minor.. at one start it didnt play back the sample... didnt happen again... just forget about that.. not worth mentioning

so at all: i am a little confused... yesterday it was having the same issue... today it worked more stable, still one crash... i doubt its the audiotracks... also no one had the same issue (one guy had, but thats it)...

so does it have issues? Yes, but mostly it works cool
do i want to replace it? no, definetly NOT! i love the unit already... strange things happen :-)... maybe it would be a good idea to have something like a log-file... akai support want be able to find out what it is (one day its there, the other its gone)..
still it feels like its not a hardare issue... so at least that means it can be fixed...
at least i think all of us will experience that at some point.. not to bad at all, if you save your projects :-))
By marctronixx Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:07 pm
ExFAT is not the the only way to format and have success. I had the internal SSD formatted to NTFS with highest file allocation and had no issues. since I am a PC only environment this works well also.