MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By modd Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:38 pm
I will be looking into buying my first mpc which would be the mpc live, it was either this or the push 2 but my thing is should i wait a few months till the issues are out and buy the push 2 till then or should i buy it now and work with it to learn it till the issues are out ?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:44 pm
modd wrote:should i wait a few months till the issues are out and buy the push 2 till then or should i buy it now and work with it to learn it till the issues are out ?

I wouldn't recommend buying the Live ATM, I would wait to see if/when Akai can remedy the missing and half-baked features first. Just sit back and see what happens - the price will also probably come down in the meantime and you'll be buying a product with a 'stable' OS and not one that is still currently in beta testing.
By Fanu Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:44 pm
This is highly subjective.

Ableton Live + Push 2 vs MPC Live…they're two different things.
The former is a full-fledged DAW, somewhat mature now…the latter is a standalone sampler with a bundled software version expanding its functionality, not nearly as mature.

If you want to take a leap into the MPC world, do it – you can already make dope stuff with Live, no matter what the critics say (and hey, trust me, I'm one of the most critical ones), but some updates would be massively welcome.
If, however, you want to take a leap into the Ableton world, that's an amazing world for sure.

It's just I wouldn't compare them, as Ableton Live is way deeper, and it's a DAW, while the MPC is not.

Me, I often do song sequences and loops with MPCs, then export the tracks to be mixed and arranged into a song on Ableton Live.
By marctronixx Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:39 pm
do you want to make great music now with no need for a computer?

do you want to be able to travel to the toilet whilst whipping up the next best pop tune with no need for mains power?

get the LIVE and moveOn.org.

you've heard this tired cliche before... if you wait, you will always be waiting.

get it now, learn its limitations (everything has limitations) and rejoice when the new features are released.

so many people are snatching these up now across the world. this is an enthusiasts site and the squeaky wheels who post here will always get the grease. some cats need specific things and they just have to have them, at the expense of waiting. some (most) other cats are picking these up and finger drumming and making music.

which camp do you want to be in? you choose. you decide.
:smoker:

modd wrote:I will be looking into buying my first mpc which would be the mpc live, it was either this or the push 2 but my thing is should i wait a few months till the issues are out and buy the push 2 till then or should i buy it now and work with it to learn it till the issues are out ?
By Fanu Mon Jun 05, 2017 7:55 pm
^ Yeah, you can get it now and enjoy it for what it is and make some heat on it.
Every time I see people whine about lack of features and say they won't use some certain device until X or Y has been implemented, I say they used to make heat on an SP 1200 (and no, my point is that today's devices shouldn't be more advanced than SP 1200 was).

Or, you can say you'll wait for a year if it's needed to get sidechaining, realtime timestretching on drum programs, better browser, visual automation lanes on standalone etc…but are those something you need real bad to make those heaters? Will the wait without the device be worth it, if you really want it? That's something you can ask yourself.
By Wormhelmet Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:03 pm
Why all the pushing for others to be dealing with an unfinished beta? Is it that lonely dealing with them by yourselves?

Why is waiting for something to get updates "waiting forever"?

I swear the both of you read like you're Akai employees.
By Fanu Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:10 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Why all the pushing for others to be dealing with an unfinished beta? Is it that lonely dealing with them by yourselves?

Why is waiting for something to get updates "waiting forever"?

I swear the both of you read like you're Akai employees.

He's asking for opinions. We're giving him just that: opinions.
Whether it's good advice depends on how you're feeling about it.

Me, an Akai employer…?
If you've read any of my posts even this year, you've seen an absolute ton of criticism towards Akai.
Also, I must've sent around 20-30 suggestions via 2.0 beta.

Still, I'm saying how I feel in terms of whether you can make good music with it or not.
Whether you see that as sales speech or not…that's up the receiver, so take it how you want it.
By chino Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:37 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I wouldn't recommend buying the Live ATM, I would wait to see if/when Akai can remedy the missing and half-baked features first. Just sit back and see what happens - the price will also probably come down in the meantime and you'll be buying a product with a 'stable' OS and not one that is still currently in beta testing.

^^^ This is probably the most fair, level headed advice that can be given in regards to purchasing the MPC Live at this stage of development. Previously, I didn't wait and just rushed in as an early adopter of the Renaissance 1.0. I figured I would just 'learn the software as I go' and it would only get better as Akai improved the software. That was a HUGE mistake!! I sold the Ren after a year and a half of freezes, crashes, missing features and overall stability issues!!!

History tends to repeat itself. This time around I will wait to see if Akai adds the missing and/or half baked advertised features & has improved upon the overall stability of the MPC software/hardware OS.

By the time Akai finally releases the final MPC 2.0 version…. I'm confident that it will be a less buggy,more stable, feature rich product! If so, then I will buy the MPC Live.
If not, then I will just continue using what currently works for me- which is my Roland MV8800 along with my Studio One DAW. :-D :nod:
By Icepulse Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:38 pm
Exactly. I have it, I love it, and I'd recommend it to anyone. I was making fire on much less than this, and never dreamed of bitching.
By golddope Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:43 pm
There not in Beta ,a live user I know a live user that called Akai ,it's the finished product but I will read hints that a software update will be .
I have a live ,and yes ,in some areas it's a new way of working due to limitations with unfinished areas in the software,
But I love it,well good fun
By Wormhelmet Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:45 pm
golddope wrote:There not in Beta ,a live user I know a live user that called Akai ,it's the finished product but I will read hints that a software update will be .
I have a live ,and yes ,in some areas it's a new way of working due to limitations with unfinished areas in the software,
But I love it,well good fun

Unfinished areas of the software = beta
By chino Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:50 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:Unfinished areas of the software = beta

:lol: :lol: :lol: :nod:
By modd Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:58 pm
Being that this will be my very first mpc, do you guys think it will be a while before they release an update for it ? Is there a site i can follow up for that on ? I really like what theyre going for but also i dont want it to ruin my first mpc experience if its just going to crash or some other things happen in the middle of it. Yes some people are claiming theirs are good but i doubt they've been working with the full capabilities that they are able to and doesnt mean if i buy one it wont wack out on me
By modd Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:03 pm
I know maschine had a beta going on for a little time and then just announced theyll have an update but thatll be forever from now. Not saying i use maschine just be on forums there.