MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By fellum Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:34 pm
Hi there,
When editing samples on my old Mpc 1000 i was able to zoom in not only horizontally but also vertically. So i could magnifie the amplitude, which was sometimes handy when doing chopping.
But on the MPC live this feature is missing, right? Couldn't find it at least...
Does anyone know?
Cheers, Christopher
By TheUnfuckwithable Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:21 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:I've been asking for vertical zoom since 1.0 was released over 5 year ago. Would be fair to assume that it's maybe not considered a priority by the developers :)

:lol:
By marctronixx Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 pm
There is a little arrow bottom right in grid mode that lets you see the velocity vertically. Its a coupe different options to see the height of the velocity on the grid.

I apologize if this is not what you are asking, but wanted to attempt to help.
By zangetsu01 Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:30 pm
marctronixx wrote:There is a little arrow bottom right in grid mode that lets you see the velocity vertically. Its a coupe different options to see the height of the velocity on the grid.

I apologize if this is not what you are asking, but wanted to attempt to help.

Thats something else. OP is talking about in sample edit mode. You can zoom horizontaly but not verticaly.
By Icepulse Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:16 pm
Just how far in do you need to zoom?! @ full zoom in the Live sample edit screen, you can see within a gnat's pube in any direction. As it enlarges, the vertical gets huge!!
By zangetsu01 Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:25 pm
Icepulse wrote:Just how far in do you need to zoom?! @ full zoom in the Live sample edit screen, you can see within a gnat's pube in any direction. As it enlarges, the vertical gets huge!!

I also dont see the benefit of vertical zoom as I never needed it before..
By kejlabal Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:02 pm
I see it if you have a very low signal and want to see more the events
By BostonGreen Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:58 pm
kejlabal wrote:I see it if you have a very low signal and want to see more the events

i'd use normalise if the signal was low
By Moho Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:59 pm
kejlabal wrote:I see it if you have a very low signal and want to see more the events

Just normalise and done :)
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:09 pm
BostonGreen wrote:

i'd use normalise if the signal was low

You need vertical zoom to help increase waveform height of quiet passages within an already normalised sound. For example if you've already normalised a loud crash that decays to silence, you'll want to make sure you are setting an end point immediately after the decay tail has actually finished. Vertical zoom is perfect for this. Or when you want to loop a quiet passage in an otherwise loud sample.

Even legacy MPCs had a type of vertical zoom ('LOG'). It's a fairly fundamental sample editing feature if you ever do intricate/detailed sample editing.