MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By badhaddit Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:00 pm
If they don't follow the grid?

Example: perfect four bar loop with correct tempo entered.

Shouldn't the regions be based off of the tempo and grid? They aren't. Doesn't make sense.

Same with bpm mode.. surely if I set it to chop every beat it will right? Nope.

Callled Akai and asked them and the guy said he just manually chops because that doesn't really work... awesome. I don't mind manually chopping but am confused as to why even implement the chop features if they don't work
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:53 pm
BPM and region mode just divide your loop into 'x' number of equal sections irrespective of the timing of the loop itself, so unless the loop is sampled from a source that was originally strictly quantised, you're going to have to manually adjust the regions to fit within the beats. There's nothing wrong with that particular chopping feature, it does exactly what it's supposed to (it was the standard chopping option for the previous few legacy MPCs).

The MPC has a ridiculous number of chopping options these days, but you have to pick the right one for the job.
By badhaddit Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:03 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:BPM and region mode just divide your loop into 'x' number of equal sections irrespective of the timing of the loop itself, so unless the loop is sampled from a source that was originally strictly quantised, you're going to have to manually adjust the regions to fit within the beats. There's nothing wrong with that particular chopping feature, it does exactly what it's supposed to (it was the standard chopping option for the previous few legacy MPCs).

The MPC has a ridiculous number of chopping options these days, but you have to pick the right one for the job.

Yeah no :/ that doesn't make sense.

Even if it is perfectly quantized it's not on grid...

also if you read the manual bpm is not working as intended - it says you enter the tempo the beats and bars and sub divions you want and it creates slices based on the tempo
By badhaddit Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:33 pm
I import a sample

I create a perfect loop of 4 bars

I insert the correct tempo

I go to chop mode - bpm enter 4 beats per bar 4 bars and any slice size... nothing is cut in a way that reflects the tempo or loop

Same thing for regional

In theory what it says in the manual is I will get quarter note chops if I enter 1/4 and 4 4 on bpm mode which would make sense or 16 on region but neither gives me chops that are accruate to the sample.

It's simple math and yes it should cut evenly (or very close) with the beats

I'm not the only one who noticed this many people have on other forums