MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CFM01 Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:34 pm
Akai have been around for many years and their S1000, MPC 60 and Z8 were perhaps some of the leading samplers in their time. I'm still optimistic that bugs and improvements will be made to the MPC Live/X over the coming years. The problem for Akai (and all music companies) is the constant customer expectation for some new and exciting product every NAMM. A lot of these music companies are small operations, don't have hundreds of employees, so constant grind of finding new products to wow the public means develoment of existing products gets bushed to one side.
By aes-one Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:03 am
I never got why people spent so much time hating on akai rather than enjoying their new mpc. yes i know it has faults and bugs, which sucks. and yes they should probably do a better job fixing them. but godamn what more can you do? akai sucks but why did you buy the mpc in the first place? just go use the damn thing, as flawed as it is (which it isnt even, really). if you dont like it use something else. im **** ecstatic over my mpc live, i still cant believe they released a standalone/controller hybrid that runs on battery and has a touchscreen! this thing is **** amazing :)
By TheUnfuckwithable Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:20 pm
CFM01 wrote:Akai have been around for many years and their S1000, MPC 60 and Z8 were perhaps some of the leading samplers in their time.

The Akai you are referring to isn´t the same anymore. The company got bought by that bastard Jack from inMusic. From then on the quality went downhill.

By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:53 pm
Akai's entire site has been down all day, and the account section has been down for several days now, all simultaneously occurring with the launch of their new flagship model. This entire launch gets more surreal by the day. Why are they not frantically using all their existing social media accounts to communicate and update their customers? I can't see anything from them on their Twitter and facebook pages.
By Fanu Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:20 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Akai's entire site has been down all day, and the account section has been down for several days now, all simultaneously occurring with the launch of their new flagship model. This entire launch gets more surreal by the day. Why are they not frantically using all their existing social media accounts to communicate and update their customers? I can't see anything from them on their Twitter and facebook pages.

It is baffling.
There is no mention of MPC Live/X launch on their Instagram, either.

Have they ever said officially that Live is out anywhere?

Look at Elektron. When things are announced and when they are out, you will know.
They even have their employees addressing questions relating to their MKII products on their official forum now. They have their trusted Cenk doing videos of new products. E.g., it is not unclear to anyone whether Digitakt is out and whether it is a finished product or not.

I'm still confused about Akai…and lusting even more for Digitakt, for example.
By zangetsu01 Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:39 pm
This is how they've always been and this is how they will stay. They don't know how to keep their fans and customors happy.. Only how to do business with guys wearing suits...
By Cockdiesel Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:42 pm
I imagine they are trying to have some big surprise roll out been checking myself for this firmware update.

They really need to work on their image.
The old pre-2000's, we're the shit so just hurry up and buy marketing is way outdated. They need to take a look around and see what other companies are doing and being successful with.

Kickstarter campaigns, hands on product development with customer base, heck even Roland has a boutique line up. I remember the owner of behringer was posting on gearslutz...

I like my live an the x is something to lust over, but they are not the only ones who can make these type of machines.

A smart investor could crowdsource the exact same products with the features promised and not only make a killing but prolly put an end to the "akai" brand...

I understand that patents can be An issue and might be one of the obstacles in releasing the live and x/ 2.0 software but this whole release has been a shit show. Why not just wait until they are ready, then tell the world? I would have rather not known until they were available.
By Fanu Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:01 pm
Cockdiesel wrote: Why not just wait until they are ready, then tell the world? I would have rather not known until they were available.

Can you imagine the impact if we hadn't heard one word yet…then, let's say early August, they hit us with a campaign showing the products and saying they are available and shipping now worldwide…and if the software was ready with PDC and everything. They'd make a killing.

But instead, now it's like, Live is out (but hasn't been announced), standalone software has missing features but "it's not beta", software is out but only as beta with no ETA for actual release, seems some people are getting their X while there is no sign of it in EU and you know Akai isn't going to post about it either, there's tons of questions and confusion in the air but there's literally no-one you can ask except Pete who will only give you vague answers at best…like, what the f*ck?
It's almost like there's some important people from their team missing (PR / social media reps at least).
That almost makes you feel Akai doesn't care about what they're doing, so why should you care then.

I'm still not saying Live isn't pretty nice. 2.0 beta is OK. You can sit down with them and make heat in an instant, don't get me wrong. But you can do that with many other devices.
They're not super great. They're close to being "pretty darn good". But will we ever get there, will we ever know more about how things will progress in Akai camp…not really. Stuff comes out when it comes out, there will not be a well-thought-out promotion campaign (not happening at the right time at least), if you have questions, there'll be no-one answering them, there will not be a [email protected] that'd help you with issues…
Will PDC ever happen…I certainly won't be expecting it.

Sh1t's just half-baked and I'm not sure how much faith I have in the company anymore…while I see companies like Elektron thrive and handle their biz way better, in a way that I can subscribe and relate to.

I understand I may sound upset, but I'm not. I'm calm. It's just personally I'm somewhat close to leaving following Akai and this forum behind. It's a shame, as I used to be a big fan, and their products have definitely had a role in my musical output. The launch of the new MPCs has been interesting, but I can't help feeling bad for the company as well as people buying their products (especially those who have no previous experience of how Akai operates).
These days I'm a grown-up making an OK salary and I definitely do understand the whole voting with your wallet aspect. I love to promote the products of dope companies on my social media and I do have a following and love to let people know about dope things, but now it's like, heck, I don't really even know how to feel about the company and what to say.

Akai's like that girl you're super interested in and try to holla at her and show her you care but not much love's coming back…and if your self-respect is in OK shape, there's only one thing to do…forget it.
Last edited by Fanu on Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BeatWilson Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 pm
I 100% Agree ^

It was a nice try, but too many missing features... Good Idea but at the rate there updating things to 2.0 I almost don't have any faith and I still have a preorder on a Live "Apparently". I'm gonna probably just buy Serato Sample and call it a day n keep using Maschine as there software is better(Its a software company so no duh), gets more frequent updates and if I ever have an issue they actually help.

OT Looks cool... but not my style. I like 16 pads and literally hitting them all live and recording. I couldnt deal with that step sequencer style drum machine. MPC's were the shit. Loved my 2500, but as of right now... Ill chill, sit back and see what actually comes to the hardware's OS and MPC software :popcorn:
By chino Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:17 pm
Fanu wrote:These days I'm a grown-up making an OK salary and I definitely do understand the whole voting with your wallet aspect. I love to promote the products of dope companies on my social media and I do have a following and love to let people know about dope things, but now it's like, heck, I don't really even know how to feel about the company and what to say.

Akai's like that girl you're super interested in and try to holla at her and show her you care but not much love's coming back.

Well said!! :nod: :nod:
By zangetsu01 Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:53 pm
The thing with Akai is that they've had their chance with this new line up to come straight with us and they blew it..

And personally I don't think it's Andy's, Joshes or Dan's fault. I bet they too are reading this forum and feel like their boss is cutting them short..

They must have some sort of an urge to answer some of our questions and are able to explain why things are going like this.

But than again there is a Big boss hovering over their shoulder and watching their every move..

Can't blame them.. At least they are loyal to their paycheck..
Last edited by zangetsu01 on Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Elmar Jestro Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:21 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Why are they not frantically using all their existing social media accounts to communicate and update their customers? I can't see anything from them on their Twitter and facebook pages.

Maybe because "We have hired a few more paying beta-testers" isn't worth any big announcement on facebook etc...?!?

Honestly wish y'all the best with your Live/X! Leaving these threads now after following for far too long
By Cockdiesel Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:38 pm
sad.... The trending topic on the MPC FORUM is about hating AKAI. THAT sez alot about the company......

just think this would be awhole other story if they didnt have some fake a$$ "leak", and continued to lie to its customers for almost a year since then. I seen the leak and intially thought oh well itl be a year or two before I see that... But no within a few months it was expected, and announced by them.

How many actual units do you think there of the live and x out in the wild? 500? Maybe a thousand? I know nothing about product testing but you would assume that the first 100 atleast produced would be used for testing and "beta" purposes. but no they created a a fake supply problem to increase the demand with an unfinished product... And it back fired. especially with its long time users.

I am not complaining about the live, I love it. However I was never aware AKAI was so scummy. Kind of wish someone else would have made it, and done it right. Like others here have said it seems like AKAI dont give a **** about what they are doing, much less what they are doing to thier customer base in a saturated market of controllers, hardware etc...