MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By rookie Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:53 pm
I don't get why we need to see those pics. What is it that you were expecting to see?
By marctronixx Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 pm
i dont get why people just _have_ to do/have unboxing videos :Sigh: :vomit: .

..different strokes for different folks bro..

rookie wrote:I don't get why we need to see those pics. What is it that you were expecting to see?
By cmackg Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:48 am
jpeg wrote:does not look like much in there; these devices should be alot cheaper, a guy in th eother post mad a comparisson to xbox or playstation 8GB of ram and a faction of the price of the live.

how da hell da live on have 1GB given how cheap ram is; also look how cheap hard drives are and they only put 20 GB

MSFT has intentionally lost money on xbox with the intent of making it up on game sales. I buy RAM by the 1000's of units, it's gone up 25% in the last 6 months. Hardware is a tough world, and Akai doens't have a lot of cash to throw around, unlike Sony or MSFT.
By cmackg Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 am
Luigi wrote:Cant u put a small MPC software dedicated PC in there? and get vst plugins and instruments?

http://www.smalllaptopsguide.com/wp-con ... 00x225.jpg

http://techreport.com/r.x/12623_VIA_sho ... ia1_th.jpg

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/wp-content/u ... C00138.jpg

It is a computer in there -- the ARM chip is the platform that Apple left when they dropped the PowerPC line and went to Intel chips. I would not be surprised if they add VST in the future. The problem with ARM is there's not a lot of skilled folks (compared to Intel chips) with experience on that platform.
By zangetsu01 Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:08 am
cmackg wrote:The problem with ARM is there's not a lot of skilled folks (compared to Intel chips) with experience on that platform.

Seems that you've never been on the XDA forums..?? The problem with upgrading the ram is the fact that both the ram and cpu and nand memory are on the same circuit board.

You can see this circuit board like a mobile phone. The MPC 2.0 software is flashed into the nand memory. One should dump the nand memory and repack the software flash it onto the circuitboard with higher specs.

This is done on a daily bases on the XDA forum with mobile phones. :smoker:

Now if only one of those chefs happend to have an MPC and the RADXA was still available to the public.. :popcorn:
By d2ba Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:12 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
jpeg wrote:does not look like much in there; these devices should be alot cheaper, a guy in th eother post mad a comparisson to xbox or playstation 8GB of ram and a faction of the price of the live.

The same can be said for any pro audio gear, but MPCs are notoriously overpriced if you only consider what's inside. It was suggest to me a few years ago that an MPC Studio contains something like $30 of parts (based on assumptions that they'll get discounted parts when buying in bulk). Actually it might have been $25.

I think it's unfair to compare these to a proper mass market device like an xbox, MPCs are ultimately very niche products and less price driven compared to a game console. Anything labelled 'professional' is instantly more expensive.

The board they've used (Radxa Rock2 SoM) is available in three configs, they used the 2GB RAM/16GB drive version, there was/is apparently a 4GB/32GB version. I say 'was/is' as it would appear even the 2GB board is discontinued, I can find no one selling this so I assume Akai probably had them made specially for them (if so, custom config was apparently an option). The original board seems to have sold for around $99 on Aliexpress, but big orders would see significant drops in that price.

But the Radxa site does seem dead, no news updates for 2 years, forums not accessible, dealer links dead or lead to discontinued listings.

http://wiki.radxa.com/Rock2/som

I see a problem there straight away --if the RDXA CPU board is discontinued MPC Live and MPC X is obsolete. This happened with the original Korg Kronos and they made a mk2 model instead the next year.
By MPC-Tutor Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:35 pm
While the board is discontinued, perhaps it's still produced 'to order'. I'd like to think that even Akai wouldn't put all these years of development into a product they cannot continue to produce for the foreseeable future - but who knows, maybe Jack bought a few hundred thousand of them in a fire sale?
By zangetsu01 Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:11 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:While the board is discontinued, perhaps it's still produced 'to order'. I'd like to think that even Akai wouldn't put all these years of development into a product they cannot continue to produce for the foreseeable future - but who knows, maybe Jack bought a few hundred thousand of them in a fire sale?

Maybe Jack bought the company, and that explains why it's no longer available.
By rookie Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:19 pm
breaking news MPC X and Live mk2, coming to a bedroom near you....stay tuned.
By maara Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:09 pm
hmmm an unpopulated micro sd slot and a debug port (seems more like an uart than jtag) - this could allow access to the os itself :)