MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Dr. Lecter Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:03 pm
At first, i envy you guys, waitin' for mine to ship. I wanna know two things that are not that clear so far, 1. if the preinstalled plugins/banks that come with the MPCX are available in the standalone mode aswell and 2. if you got any info about project/file compatibility with past models. Me personally, coming from the MPC4000 would love to know if the whole projects loads or some info will be lost (like the mpc software of the studio and renaissance) Thanks in advance!
By Living Bate Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:51 am
i've had a question for ages that to my knowledge has not yet been answered.....

is there anything you have to use the touch screen for? or is it possible to do everything with the controls?

if I had an X I would simply want to use the screen as a screen......
By MPC-Tutor Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:05 am
On the Live, no, you have to use the touchscreen for some tasks. On the X not sure as you have the cursor keys so I assume they can be used to navigate the screen, plus the Q links will already be mapped to most stuff. But with so many parameters on some of the screens that will probably get old very quickly; you'll probably adopt the hybrid approach of tapping a parameter on screen to select it and then adjusting the value with the data wheel.

Not sure how the X handles file naming, I don't see anything assigned to alpha characters, so you'll probably need to use the touch keyboard for that.
By Living Bate Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:19 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Not sure how the X handles file naming, I don't see anything assigned to alpha characters, so you'll probably need to use the touch keyboard for that.

yeh i guess i dont mind using the screen for that purpose.......but i think for music i dont really want to have to use it at all...

its kind of a deal breaker for me....
By Fanu Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:32 am
Living Bate wrote:i
is there anything you have to use the touch screen for? or is it possible to do everything with the controls?

On Live, there is no transport control buttons. Say you want to jump forward by one bar…can't do it from the buttons. On X, you can.
By Living Bate Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:47 am
yeh i'm only really considering the X

if everything can be done with transport buttons / cursor / Q-links etc and use of the touch screen is optional, i will be far more interested in it...
By vanballen Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:11 pm
yeh i'm only really considering the X

if everything can be done with transport buttons / cursor / Q-links etc and use of the touch screen is optional, i will be far more interested in it...

You can download the manual on the akai pro website. I read it, and you can use the buttons for almost everything. Just like u used to on older versions ;) Don't know about filling in save names, but you can find it in the manual for sure.
By wavejockey Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm
i thought having read somewhere that you can USB connect a keyboard for naming duties...
(you can do this on the 4000 so X should have incorporated that -at least)
By Danoc Thu Jul 20, 2017 3:46 pm
The Preinstalled Efx that come with the Live/X are by Akai and they are good this time around, I was impressed and I use them. You can insert/Send 4 at a time.

Then you have the Pro Effects, Air Effects and Instruments which are top notch, but you have to use it with the software 2.0, connect the Live/X to the computer to use it.

Dr. Lecter wrote:At first, i envy you guys, waitin' for mine to ship. I wanna know two things that are not that clear so far, 1. if the preinstalled plugins/banks that come with the MPCX are available in the standalone mode aswell and 2. if you got any info about project/file compatibility with past models. Me personally, coming from the MPC4000 would love to know if the whole projects loads or some info will be lost (like the mpc software of the studio and renaissance) Thanks in advance!