MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Lampdog Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:00 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:...FYI, most newer stuff like beatmaker 3 and machine are based off the mpc workflow.

Nothing about beatmaker 2 or 3 feels like mpc imo. It STILL feels good though don't get me wrong.
I usually use it from the glass, every now and then I midi it to 4k and Triton Extreme. Beatmaker 3 will rule my IOS world for along time to come.
By Cockdiesel Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:38 pm
I really like bm3 too. And if your comparing it to older mpcs he'll no, way different but if you compare it to a live or x they are really similar. Like scary similar. I haven't dug into bm3 much other than sequencing some vst apps but I look at it as the live's little brother with some differnt features.
By vanballen Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:37 pm
Really Nice Sales talk man.. :lol: should sell it quite well..

Hope that now this is off your chest.. you can also admit that you just are not :vomit: the right person for any MPC.. If this was the case you would clearly not have said this on the MPC forum..

Enjoy your iPad.. monster machine.. :lol:
By richie Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:57 pm
I don't think the Mpc Live is dope because there is no room for me to really cover it with stickers like these weirdo hipsters from Europe on youtube that like to act like that they're doing something amazing by putting the filter on at 20 and running a loop that was already sampled 25 years ago at nauseam.

(Run on sentence 2) So i like getting an ipad because i can easily take it to starbucks and plug it into my beats by dre headphones and work on beats while nodding my head so hard to a random stab i got online from a sample seller site and then i notice older aged people look at me and feel uncomfortable because i have a che guevara shirt on because i'm quite the political ideologue and i express such behavior by making sure my stabs are only sampled from rare and out of print mp3s circa 1996 when everyone encoded their shit at 44.1khz 128kbps.
By Lampdog Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:28 am
By Fudge Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:15 pm
I'm selling mine too. I'd been so looking forward to this but it is a real dissapointment. I've also cancelled my order for the X as well.

I'd been looking to replace my MPC2000XL which I use to trigger keyboards and samplers in my band. My problem is the LIVE's sequencing/MIDI capabilities are not as good as it's 20 year brother.

I'm gutted because there is so much great new stuff on the LIVE that I would love to make use of, but it simply cant do the functions you find on a basic MIDI sequencer.

I've spoken to AKAI and all they can say is that these are functions that may appear in future updates but they can't say when. It could be two years time, it could be next week, it could be never.
By Cockdiesel Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 pm
Really? I know it's different and some menu diving vs the 4k I got, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me. What features are you missing out on?
By TheUnfuckwithable Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm
Fudge wrote:I'm selling mine too. I'd been so looking forward to this but it is a real dissapointment. I've also cancelled my order for the X as well.

:nod:
By Fudge Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:59 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:Really? I know it's different and some menu diving vs the 4k I got, but it hasn't been much of an issue for me. What features are you missing out on?

Its three issues I have, which I appreciate most users probably wouldn't even notice.

The first one is the lack of Tempo Track which I have a feeling after talking to AKAI, they will probably reintroduce this on the next update.

The second one is that the current MPC software doesn't support transmitting/receiving System Exclusive/SYSEX messages. So its not possible for the LIVE to set up your modules/keyboards in a live enviroment.

Lastly, anyone who has tried to play a sequence on the LIVE from an older MPC machine will know that there are many compatability problems.

Believe me, I'm gutted. I generally love everything else about the machine. I do admit though that it does grate that AKAI seem to be neglecting part of their loyal customer base by not including these basic functions.
By Fanu Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:01 pm
Fudge wrote:I've spoken to AKAI and all they can say is that these are functions that may appear in future updates but they can't say when. It could be two years time, it could be next week, it could be never.

This is my main annoyance with Akai.

There's absolutely no idea ever when some features are going to come, ever, if they are going to come at all.
They are slow, and it's damn hard to get a word from them regarding anything.

Elektron, for example, comments on users' posts regarding anything on their forum, so ppl know what to possibly expect and so on.

Live is an OK device and no doubt you can make hits with it if you have it in you, but some missing features are just unacceptable IMHO (lack of PDC in software, inability to copy and paste specific midi notes on standalone, inability to delete specific automation on standalone, inability to edit any automation in any way on standalone…).
You can live with those for sure, but if you're a person with a somewhat extensive experience in using gear, those will cause a bit of a WTF reaction in you, as it's 2017, after all, and this is supposed to be a professional product.

A beautiful touch screen…that doesn't let you see let alone touch automation. A standalone that is crippled with some of its main features so that you have to use it in controller mode to access them. Damn.
Let's say you have automated three different parameters on a track...and one of them is a cutoff you did earlier. You decide it's not that good and want to get rid of it. Well, you can…with the expense of all automation. You can't delete just the cutoff…everything will go. I love doing automation in my music, but this is a turn-off (yeah you can go to software to fix it but that destroys the "standalone vibe").

TBH I haven't been using my Live that much; I have a lot of other gear to use, and I'm just sort of waiting to see if Akai will do any moves with updates.
If it was the center of my studio or one of my very few devices, I'd use it more, but I'm lucky to have a lot of music-making stuff, and I'm sort of waiting till Live can catch up with them a bit.
By FrankWhite4Mayor Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:03 pm
The selective sarcastic responses you see on twitter are pretty insulting... It's aggravating and mysterious that the update hasn't dropped yet.

Fanu wrote:
Fudge wrote:I've spoken to AKAI and all they can say is that these are functions that may appear in future updates but they can't say when. It could be two years time, it could be next week, it could be never.

This is my main annoyance with Akai.

There's absolutely no idea ever when some features are going to come, ever, if they are going to come at all.
They are slow, and it's damn hard to get a word from them regarding anything.

Elektron, for example, comments on users' posts regarding anything on their forum, so ppl know what to possibly expect and so on.

Live is an OK device and no doubt you can make hits with it if you have it in you, but some missing features are just unacceptable IMHO (lack of PDC in software, inability to copy and paste specific midi notes on standalone, inability to delete specific automation on standalone, inability to edit any automation in any way on standalone…).
You can live with those for sure, but if you're a person with a somewhat extensive experience in using gear, those will cause a bit of a WTF reaction in you, as it's 2017, after all, and this is supposed to be a professional product.

A beautiful touch screen…that doesn't let you see let alone touch automation. A standalone that is crippled with some of its main features so that you have to use it in controller mode to access them. Damn.
Let's say you have automated three different parameters on a track...and one of them is a cutoff you did earlier. You decide it's not that good and want to get rid of it. Well, you can…with the expense of all automation. You can't delete just the cutoff…everything will go. I love doing automation in my music, but this is a turn-off (yeah you can go to software to fix it but that destroys the "standalone vibe").

TBH I haven't been using my Live that much; I have a lot of other gear to use, and I'm just sort of waiting to see if Akai will do any moves with updates.
If it was the center of my studio or one of my very few devices, I'd use it more, but I'm lucky to have a lot of music-making stuff, and I'm sort of waiting till Live can catch up with them a bit.
By TheUnfuckwithable Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:43 pm
FrankWhite4Mayor wrote:It's aggravating and mysterious that the update hasn't dropped yet.

It´s not Nukais fault tho. Blame those Filipino pirates...
By Heavie Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:47 pm
When I was a young man. My sisters consider me ass being a dog. Any girl with a nice booty, I will chase them. I will be in a relationship at times and it doesn't matter. I'll be out on a prowl for the next hot ass. One of my sister pulled me up and said, you chasing all the these girls for looks alone. But none of them is going to satisfy you first hand, as well as the one you know well in a relationship. At the moment, I paid her no mind. But as I got older, it all started making sense. It's the little things a woman does for you in a relationship, that a woman in a one night stand or someone you just met is not willing to do.

Same applies to every new mpc or any new gear that catches your eye. On the outside, it has all the new knobs, button, screens and specs to draw you in. You ready to throw rocks at your old gear. Soon as you get your hands on the shiny new unit, you're disappointed. It's not doing all the little things your old gear is doing. We all suffer from this. Some more than others. New gear is to expensive to not do your homework.

There are important rules to consider before buying. 1) Do I really need it and how is this latest and greatest is going to help my work flow and create better music. 2) Can I put in the time waiting for old features, new features and bug fixes. 3) Is this unit going to be worth anything, If I decide to get rid of it after waiting around for old features, new features and bug fixes. 4) Are you willing to except the learning curve. 5) If the unit is missing a feature you need. Can you figure out a work around to get a close result of the missing feature. 6) What kind of support are you going to get when you run into problems. 7) Are people that purchase the past models happy with there purchase. 8) Consider yourself as the best feature on the unit. New gear or old gear is not going to create music for you. Some of the best music was created on less featured gear. I seen guys making beats on a five gallon bucket. So it's not the problem with the gear. It's a problem with you.

There are even more rules. But if you can follow a couple of these rules. You might save yourself the time and trouble.
By FrankWhite4Mayor Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 pm
I can make music on almost any hardware/software because I can play instruments and have a foundational understanding of music. I can do more from beginning to end with Logic than MPC software but chose to use MPC. That said, my issue is that advertised features are not available yet and the software is still in beta.

sounds like we had a similar youth :smoker:

Heavie wrote:When I was a young man. My sisters consider me ass being a dog. Any girl with a nice booty, I will chase them. I will be in a relationship at times and it doesn't matter. I'll be out on a prowl for the next hot ass. One of my sister pulled me up and said, you chasing all the these girls for looks alone. But none of them is going to satisfy you first hand, as well as the one you know well in a relationship. At the moment, I paid her no mind. But as I got older, it all started making sense. It's the little things a woman does for you in a relationship, that a woman in a one night stand or someone you just met is not willing to do.

Same applies to every new mpc or any new gear that catches your eye. On the outside, it has all the new knobs, button, screens and specs to draw you in. You ready to throw rocks at your old gear. Soon as you get your hands on the shiny new unit, you're disappointed. It's not doing all the little things your old gear is doing. We all suffer from this. Some more than others. New gear is to expensive to not do your homework.

There are important rules to consider before buying. 1) Do I really need it and how is this latest and greatest is going to help my work flow and create better music. 2) Can I put in the time waiting for old features, new features and bug fixes. 3) Is this unit going to be worth anything, If I decide to get rid of it after waiting around for old features, new features and bug fixes. 4) Are you willing to except the learning curve. 5) If the unit is missing a feature you need. Can you figure out a work around to get a close result of the missing feature. 6) What kind of support are you going to get when you run into problems. 7) Are people that purchase the past models happy with there purchase. 8) Consider yourself as the best feature on the unit. New gear or old gear is not going to create music for you. Some of the best music was created on less featured gear. I seen guys making beats on a five gallon bucket. So it's not the problem with the gear. It's a problem with you.

There are even more rules. But if you can follow a couple of these rules. You might save yourself the time and trouble.