MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By summer2k Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:00 pm
Hi everyone,
I'm expecting delivery of my MPC X in the next few days and will most likely upgrade it with an internal SSD drive if I decide to keep it. Can you guys let me know all the models and size that work with the Live/X? Thanks.
By marctronixx Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:46 pm
the mpc x has the screws necessary to install an SSD. you dont need to buy any mounting equipment.
By summer2k Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:30 am
marctronixx wrote:the mpc x has the screws necessary to install an SSD. you dont need to buy any mounting equipment.

Sweet. Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'll report back next week after I get the X and have had a chance to fully test every thing to make sure it's the right gear for me. :wink:
By summer2k Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:57 pm
Coz wrote:I bought the 1TB Samsung SSD and it works perfectly.

My Live didn't come with additional mounting screws so I need find out what the correct spec is for them...

I ended up ordering the 1TB Samsung 850 EVO SSD from Amazon. It should arrive the same day as the X. Good times ahead. :nod: :) :mrgreen:
By Lupi303 Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:58 am
Like someone else i started with just an SD card then bought a Samsung 870 Evo 500GB never had an issue however ran out space so purchased 2TB then found a video tonight saying how there had been issues that’s went under the radar and that if it was manufactured after a certain date it should be fine, one of mine, luckily enough the 500GB was made before that date. It’s back in the box as an extra back up, just incase.

I’ve also noticed how some use the SanDisk Ultra 3D, is there any difference?

Many thanks in advance.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:05 am
Generally speaking I don't think there's any ongoing issue with SSD drives 'in general', it's not like the old legacy MPC days where you had to go for a specific brand of memory and a specific CF card etc. Just pick a good quality drive from a reputable brand and as I said previously, get from somewhere with an easy, no quibble return policy, just in case you do have issues, but that's the same advice for buying a drive for any other purpose, not just MPCs.

I have a crucial drive in my Force ATM and no issues, despite the early reports of Crucial drives not working. These issues were more likely just a random faulty drive etc.

And don't get too focused on SSD performance speeds. The internal SATA port is connected to the USB 3 controller, so speeds will never exceed USB 3 speeds. Plus the MPC browser itself is very very slow at loading, irrespective of the drive speed. In real world tests, there's not much difference in loading speed between SD cards and SSD drives as the browser itself is the bottleneck.