MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Coz Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:02 am
tiger001 wrote:why not load an (old) AKAI sample CD ?
loads & loads of those on the net ; big Quality
should be plug & play

plug in a CD-ROM into the USB port of the Live or X and start listening
cumbersome, maybe
but in the end rewarding, no?

The Live and X won't read the majority of those old discs unfortunately. I requested S series compatibility a while back but I can't ever see it happening.

All I'm looking to do is convert a load of Kontakt mapped synth samples into .akp format, and if I can salvage a bunch of S series stuff along the way I'll be happy. :)
By Coz Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:17 am
dazastah wrote:Yeah the only thing with extreme sample convertor is that you have to tweak the patch in the Mpc aswell ( adsr) ..
There's a few little additions that keygroup pgms need to make the Mpc live an extremely powerful sound module sytnth unit ..
A major one for me being portamento legato ..

Yep, I found out last night that the envelopes need tweaking. Thankfully the touchscreen makes quick work of it.

I'd love to see some kind of 'humanise' parameter in the pad perform mode so that the notes in a chord didn't all hit at exactly the same time. The Live/X are also screaming out for an arpeggiator, so I hope they can include one in an update.

As a test today I managed to load 27 keygroups of pad sounds, which I think is pretty workable given the restricted ram. In reality a few bass, lead, chord, pad, and arpeggiated keygroups won't really dent the ram. Nice. :smoker:
By Varan Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 am
tiger001 wrote:why not load an (old) AKAI sample CD ?
loads & loads of those on the net ; big Quality
should be plug & play

plug in a CD-ROM into the USB port of the Live or X and start listening
cumbersome, maybe
but in the end rewarding, no?

i have some AKAI sample CD file ios downloaded off the net. but mpc wont read it.. do you guys know how to open ios files on mpc live or mpc 2.0
By pablow6554 Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:15 pm
im looking for a flute instrument theres any way to get a nice flute make a keygroup i guess and add it to the mpc x?
By acronym Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:23 pm
Anyone want to share some instrument sets??

BTW, would sampling each note from say a patch on Massive be ideal?, would I need to tweak anything. Pretty new to sampling instruments so need advice please
By MPC-Tutor Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:15 pm
acronym wrote: would sampling each note from say a patch on Massive be ideal?, would I need to tweak anything. Pretty new to sampling instruments so need advice please

Sampling every note would use a lot of memory, there's just no need for that when multisampling synths. You'll need to experiment to see what works best, sometimes you can even get away with 1 note per octave on synths, but every 4 or 5 semitones would work well. Also make sure you sustain loop the samples to save even more memory, plus go mono if you can get away with it.

IMO you should try to get each instrument below 10MB (for synths). Also look at utilising LFO, filters, envelopes and effects to create your own 'patches' from the same sample sets. You could also use single cycle samples to create your own synth (I cover this in detail in my MPC X/Live Bible)
By Cockdiesel Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:40 am
Any tips on sampling the oscillators of a synth with the envelope and pulse width in play?

I'm trying to sample a ju-06, and I can't seem to get envelope just right to essentially have the ju-06 on my live. It's seems pretty straight forward. The pulse width I don't know how to approach either. Would it have to be a separate key group for wider pulse width on the oscillator? I went over the stuff in the live bible, but It doesn't seem to touch on the sampling source to deep.
By teeco Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:55 pm
Don't know if this is the Translator originally mentioned but this looks promising. It's been around for about 17 years and i use to use it to convert akai s1000/3000 sample library's to yamaha motif ES around 2008 with little success. It's appears to be a lot more advanced now and i can't see why it shouldn't be able to convert Kontakt libraries to akai mpc live. It does say - (Akai MPC) (all versions) (.pgm; ..xpm; wav; .snd).
Here's the link : - http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/
By John Vandenberghe Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:47 am
Otherwise just sample something really short from your synth, loop it, at most one note per octave.
Embrace the glitchy ness of the sampler warping the samples
By Coz Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 am
teeco wrote:Don't know if this is the Translator originally mentioned but this looks promising. It's been around for about 17 years and i use to use it to convert akai s1000/3000 sample library's to yamaha motif ES around 2008 with little success. It's appears to be a lot more advanced now and i can't see why it shouldn't be able to convert Kontakt libraries to akai mpc live. It does say - (Akai MPC) (all versions) (.pgm; ..xpm; wav; .snd).
Here's the link : - http://www.chickensys.com/products2/translator/

I've recently switched to the Akai version of Translator. It was on sale around Black Friday so I snapped it up for about 30 quid. For Mac I think it's the best option.

I lost my Windows VM partition in a shady forced OS upgrade from Apple, so I've now got a redundant copy of Extreme Sample Converter if any Windows heads are interested? Hit me via PM.