MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By stevebol Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:40 pm
I want to get away from the DAW. I was thinking about getting a Roland JD-Xi but the sequencer is lame. I want a good sequencer/synth but that would mean a big workstation.
I'm thinking about the MPC Live and I like what I see and I'm wondering about synth-like presets. I know the Live isn't a synth per say but can it be used like one? I would imagine there's a huge variety of drum kits.
By Cockdiesel Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:53 pm
A sampler can be whatever you want it to be. You can make your own instruments on it with samples either recorded in or loaded up via usb, comp, etc.

Never used one of the newer Roland full sized synths but I think that would be a good synth to pair a live with.
By stevebol Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 pm
I'm going to go ahead and get one. I guess some people had faulty units but was this addressed with recent firmware updates?
By Danoc Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:42 pm
stevebol wrote:I'm going to go ahead and get one. I guess some people had faulty units but was this addressed with recent firmware updates?

Peace Steve. I have a live and lt works perfect. I'm very happy. The Live comes with synth sounds , and you would need a keyboard to belt out the sounds or use the pads. I bet you're not going to want to use their sounds all the time. If you get one look for a discount and you can get it for at least $959 like l did 20% discount from Musicians Friend or another store. If they don't ask to speak to a manager.
By dazastah Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:57 pm
Fanu wrote:
stevebol wrote: I know the Live isn't a synth per say but can it be used like one?

Yes. Any sampler capable of looping can.
Just load a single-cycle waveform into it, loop it, and start moulding it.
Get some free single-cycle waveforms at https://www.adventurekid.se/akrt/waveforms/

I dont even bother with single waveforms, i make synths out of drum samples :-D .. The single wave forms already exists in the samples you sample .. I made a synth out of my Chicken called Freda.
By Fanu Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:47 pm
dazastah wrote:I dont even bother with single waveforms, i make synths out of drum samples :-D .. The single wave forms already exists in the samples you sample .. I made a synth out of my Chicken called Freda.

So you don't bother with single cycle waveforms but it sounds like you probably use single cycle waveforms. OK.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:00 pm
I've used these methods before.

Create/draw my own wave forms in Sound Forge.

Setup params in Sound Forge and generate a wave.

Download waveforms.

Chop a single/double cycle waveform from samples.

ALL of thes work just fine.
By stevebol Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:32 am
Couple more questions;

Velocity layers..
When using key groups is 4 layers the limit, or 16? For example, I hook up my midi keyboard and play a piano or rhodes

I have a yamaha es sample set so I'll be messing with that. It doesn't come in MPC format.
What is the format for the Live?