MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mrcrappypantson Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:50 pm
A USB connection does indeed power the D-05 but it's not very happy with it. The D-05 is very noisy in a very unpleasant way. Just an FYI for anyone planning on going that route. Luckily, the D-05 can be powered with batteries for remote music making sessions away from a power outlet.
By benway Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:18 am
I use both my JU06 and TR9 on the Live’s usb power, no issues with noise or anything like that. Main problem I’ve had is that the 9’s sequencer spits midi over usb and I haven’t figured out a way of stopping it or deselecting it as an input for midi tracks on the live. Very annoying and causes some very unpleasant midi feedback loops if I have a midi out track to it set up. This is kinda intermittent, restarting the live sometimes fixes it, but I’m still not clear what settings if any I can change to get the espected behaviour 100% of the time.
By mrcrappypantson Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:00 pm
benway wrote:I use both my JU06 and TR9 on the Live’s usb power, no issues with noise or anything like that.

Are you using any special USB cables? I wonder if there’s something different with the d-05 but I’ve read other boutiques suffer from this sometimes.
By Moho Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:37 pm
Had no trouble with my JP08, but have had with another keyboard plugged into the same plug board as the MPC, very low level hum until I touched the Q links then high level hum, solved by plugging them into separate plug boards.
By Cockdiesel Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:05 pm
Try different USB cables or just get some rechargeable batteries.

Also the d05 can be put into sep mode where the two layers can be sequenced on different channels. the patchbase app for iPad or similar are higher recommended as well. . Literally thousands of custom presets out there on the net.

Still playing with different variations of setups but the Roland boutiques are great companions for the live, just have to play with them to get them to play nice together.
By benway Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:40 pm
mrcrappypantson wrote:
benway wrote:I use both my JU06 and TR9 on the Live’s usb power, no issues with noise or anything like that.

Are you using any special USB cables? I wonder if there’s something different with the d-05 but I’ve read other boutiques suffer from this sometimes.

Nope, just a cable I’d previously been using with my phone.
By Cockdiesel Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm
It states in the manual not to use just charging cables. I have a ton of random USB cables and tried a bunch it's really hit or miss. Bought a 10 dollar one from Walmart that seemed to work on a different boutique. If you have different ones try them or buy a new USB, just make sure it's not one for just charging. Roland should have included or sell the right USB cable for these things. It has given me some headaches either with noise or installing the drivers
By mrcrappypantson Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:01 pm
Yeah, still haven’t been able to revisit but I will try a handful of cables.

Patch base is great. Using it for a cz1000 and jv1080. I’m going through a vintage digital synth phase for sure. Gassing for a Jd800. Pretty sure a d05 version is in the works. And the d50 one, in theory, should work.
By marctronixx Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:04 am
its a grounding issue. this occurs on ALL boutiques.

I have the d05, se-02, tr-08, tr-09 all powered from a usb hub. the analog output from each go into an analog patchbay. from there they are "normalled" to an analog desk.

zero hum from this setup.

keeping them on the same AC/power line keeps hum at bay.

Pretty sure a d05 version is in the works. And the d50 one, in theory, should work.

what does this mean, actually?