MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Flight Manual Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:11 pm
I think there are big features not currently available in the MPC Live that could turn this machine into a creative beast. If I get just this one feature , I can at least I can work around some creative limitations within the machine. Hear me out:

There are parameters in similar hardware or plugins that would make the Live sing. From parameter locks to polyrhythms to LFOs to oscillate just about anything. I know that's a lot to ask for. You weren't expecting us to ask for something so kinky as parameter locks, but alll this manual reading and built up tension over your potential got me thinking.

And to be honest,

I think I am am getting jealous of other peoples relationships with their machines. I mean, not to say your machine isn't attractive, it's just, you know, more straightforward. You've got great pads, and battery power, and Ableton Link and storage and stuff, but lately I've been thinking about touching someone else's buttons.

Maybe you could spice up our bedroom producing by trying out something I know lots of other people experiment with. If you truly want our relationship to continue to grow, maybe we should try it out.

Please?

We need, at bare minimum, MIDI CC controls.

I use the Live in standalone mode with three iPads and lots of FX, and adding the ability to use my iPad to send control changes to my Akai would make it an entirely better experience. While I want the parameter changing skills of an Octatrack, I'd certainly settle for being able to oscillate parameters with the myriad of creative apps that allow me to send MIDI. I could automate my Live parameters with crazy LFOs and controllers that are kooky and fun. We could have fun experimenting. Don't be embarassed. Let yourself go.

Really, this is a basic feature that should be mandatory for such a substantial machine. I need access to CCs. As many as you can handle. If your not into roleplaying the Octatrack, at least let me touch your Control Changes. Spice things up.

If you want, we could have a Safe Word.

RhythmWolf or something?

Haha, jk.

I'm going to take a shower and get ready.
By Cockdiesel Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:52 pm
Pretty sure they mentioned full midi support on the update roadmap.

Now the elektron plock and conditional trig features I'm not so sure about. You can get an "evolving" 4 bar loop right now with some of the features on them but not like an elektron box.

I'll admit it would be cool to have them and could be really user friendly in the grid mode. It would be a lot different from the way elektron implements them, which will get a lot of people worked up... could be a can of worms.

Not sure why this was posted in a "love letter", I think someone has been watching too much of these:
By Ill-Green Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm
Dan was mentioning that the MPC does contain Plocks but "Plocks" are not the feature's name. Its called something else, can't remember, but I do remember Dan mocking Elektron saying they like to use grandiose and obscure definitions for simple features.
By Automageddon Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:49 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Dan was mentioning that the MPC does contain Plocks but "Plocks" are not the feature's name. Its called something else, can't remember, but I do remember Dan mocking Elektron saying they like to use grandiose and obscure definitions for simple features.

If you look at it, in software mode you can have per step automations, if you're willing to draw them in.
They just don't work as well and smoothly as Elektron's (hold a step and move a knob) and are not available in standalone mode.
The touchscreen could add great functionality to automation, just imagine drawing automation in piano roll mode, same as you draw velocity, but will it ever happen?