MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By justineastwick Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:01 pm
DeaDeus wrote:nope - I don't think you get carried away, as you say. it is precisely correct: we should be able to use this system the way we use it (...still reluctant calling it an instrument)

For real! I do wish they'd allow me to access the internal memory and set it up the way I'd like to. I abbreviate all my stuff, based on the labels of TR-808 (that's how I pay homage): OH is a open hi-hat and KD is a kick drum... LOL, you get the point!

I used to set my MPC 1000 up like this: Samples > JUNO-DS > Hi-Hats > Open Hi-Hats > DS-OH-01

Everyone asks me why I always name my files in "XX-XX-XX" format, and I tell them that it's my structure preference. For example, "DS-OH-01.wav" would be the first open hi-hat that I sampled from my JUNO-DS.

The file name limitations on the MPC Live are not how it was on the MPC 1000: with the MPC Live, if I tweak the sample to fit a project, I'd rename it "DS-OH-01-ST-01.wav" - the "ST" stands for "sample tweak" and the number corresponds to the amount of times I've tweaked the original sample.

So, "DS-OH-12-ST-84" would be the twelfth open hi-hat that I sampled from my JUNO-DS and tweaked it eighty-four times.

Even my project files are formatted like that: "082619-05" is the fifth project that was started on August 26, 2019.

Okay, now I got carried away... Sorry guys.
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 pm
You Can do all that. Just load the Programs you want. Change what you want, then save it to Folders that you can access on your own Media. You can name the Samples what you want. Easy as Pie.
That way you can organize your folders how you want to customize them.

I organize my Folders by Date..
August 2019 (folder)
"HotBeat 8-26"
As an example :)
By justineastwick Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm
40Beatz wrote:You Can do all that. Just load the Programs you want. Change what you want, then save it to Folders that you can access on your own Media. You can name the Samples what you want. Easy as Pie.
That way you can organize your folders how you want to customize them.

I organize my Folders by Date..
August 2019 (folder)
"HotBeat 8-26"
As an example :)

LOL, I guess I ain't the only one who really takes to personalizing their file structure. That's my biggest pet peeve when I go to my uncle's studio and he's trying to see where he put a particular snare drum. LOL, all mine in are in their respective folders, labeled as "XX-XX" or something like that!
By 40Beatz Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:53 pm
Oh Yea...I Have my own Custom Drum Programs in their own folder, On Both my HDD and My SD Card.
I'll either Expand on an existing Drum Program on the Internal...OR... When I Chop up A Drum Sample....Then save it as a XPM file in my "Custom Drum Programs" folder.
And I'll even give each program its own "Preview" so when im shuffling thru them I can hear whats in the Kit
By Bezo Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:58 pm
40Beatz wrote:...And I'll even give each program its own "Preview" so when im shuffling thru them I can hear whats in the Kit
I'm going to start doing this. Much more efficient than previewing the individual samples.
By ACRE Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:46 pm
DeaDeus wrote:
smellypants wrote:Alright thanks for the advise guys.

I do wish there was a way to have them not show up in the expansion browser at least :cry:

Yes - a customizable library screen at start would be highly professional. Looking into how AKAI set-up the templates might be interesting for MPCX/Live newbies - but for me it would be more interesting to manage my last projects from the start-screen. I assume this counts for others too.

But this is now off-topic - sorry!

2022 your wish is fulfilled :lol:
By KaoticShock Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:31 pm
40Beatz wrote:Oh Yea...I Have my own Custom Drum Programs in their own folder, On Both my HDD and My SD Card.
I'll either Expand on an existing Drum Program on the Internal...OR... When I Chop up A Drum Sample....Then save it as a XPM file in my "Custom Drum Programs" folder.
And I'll even give each program its own "Preview" so when im shuffling thru them I can hear whats in the Kit

This is exactly what I do. I use the expansion format and program previews for quick auditioning of sounds and Kits. Definitely made my workflow faster. I also linked one of the 5 shortcut folders to my drum sample pack so I can choose sounds individually if I want to, another shortcut folder links to all of my Keygroups, organized by type with program previews.