MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Buzzard Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am
Has anyone else experienced their unit making noises after being turned off?

My unit makes noise after a few minutes of being turned off and again an hour or so after I power it down. Nothing seems to be effected but it'll make a noise similar to opening the cd drive of a laptop.
By Danoc Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:23 am
Ummmm...nope. That's faulty. First time l heard of this. Might be your drive.

Buzzard wrote:Has anyone else experienced their unit making noises after being turned off?

My unit makes noise after a few minutes of being turned off and again an hour or so after I power it down. Nothing seems to be effected but it'll make a noise similar to opening the cd drive of a laptop.
By marctronixx Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:52 am
sounds like AC whine at the DC input on the live power port.

is the sound near there?

there are no moving parts in there (unless you have an HDD in there) so it sounds like a faulty transistor/cap, etc.

doles this happen with power applied at the input otr the machine is just sitting there not connected to anything?

did you use a 3rd party AC brick to power it? did you use it on a powerbank that has modified sine wave output (as oposes to good old school analog AC form the wall)?

regardless, its faulty as 'noc mentioned. its under warranty. reach out to akai. its possible it may explode or catch fire inside so use caution.
By Buzzard Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:19 pm
I use the factory power and it does it after I power down. It's not consistent for when it happens but it does always happen. Nothing seems to be wrong otherwise. I wish I could better describe the sound but if I tried to capture it I may spend a long time on it...at which point it probably will not happen at all.
By organic Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:45 pm
I had the same problem, I think. Sounds like if you hold the mpc in your hands and try to twist it? Or it just cracked a joint or two? On mine I found I could press down the top edge, above the ground for the LP player it made a clicking sound as if it was suppose to attach to something but didn’t. Returned it for a new, there where also internal issues as well. Had it for about 2 weeks before the screen froze for the first time.
By Danoc Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:27 pm
Dam like WTF! Akai gotta get on their game. Now it seems like something is loose.
By organic Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:56 am
Buzzard wrote:That's exactly it! Sounds like trying to twist it! Did they transfer your work to the new one?

No, i have everything on ssd, I don’t save to the mpc internal drive. But I think it’s up to you to save your work. Maybe it’s different where you live. Greetings from the north, way up north in Europe.
By Buzzard Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:34 pm
Yeah that makes sense but I wasn’t sure if it was possible. This whole hardware/software operation is very new to me.

Thanks for the help.
By JeanLive Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:19 pm
I get white noise (at about -20db) coming out of the left channel with the MPC Live turned off ! (even if its not been turn on in the current session).
So, if your putting it into a outboard mixer its neccessary to have the mix faders down if the mpc is off.
By John Vandenberghe Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:22 pm
JeanLive wrote:I get white noise (at about -20db) coming out of the left channel with the MPC Live turned off ! (even if its not been turn on in the current session).
So, if your putting it into a outboard mixer its neccessary to have the mix faders down if the mpc is off.

Does it do it while running by battery as opposed to plugged in?
Did you try balanced/unbalanced cables?
By marctronixx Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:11 pm
JeanLive wrote:I get white noise (at about -20db) coming out of the left channel with the MPC Live turned off ! (even if its not been turn on in the current session).

I have a live and X. The X ‘s analog outs go direct into an analog desk. Zero noise with it on or off.
I dont use the live on the desk but for purposes of this discussion, i also connected it up after reading this,and , as expected, zero noise (white ,pink, nothing). And it makes zero noise when off, either plugged up or unplugged.

If one is hearing this type of noise on the outputs or emanating out of the box itself, its obviously defective.