MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JeriKo Jackson Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 pm
It's a great machine and it ticks almost all of the boxes for me with its wonderful connectivity and storage. Gonna miss the awesome XY, pads and chopping ease.

Just can't get my head passed how cheap the unit feels. It isn't the most ergonomic layout. I don't like having to use the touch screen to access the modes.

If Akai ever releases a more robust build with a better layout in their next iteration I'll come back.
By Fanu Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:05 am
I've always liked how the Live feels TBH.
It could have more buttons TBH: sample edit, program edit, Locate buttons, etc.
By Ill-Green Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:15 am
You did the right thing if you feel unsatisfied. **** hype and trend, get what fits you. I'm from the old school way of things, you know, "Calvin Klein no friend of mine, don't wear nobody's name on my behind".
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:18 am
I have a few options...

Ipad, BM3, quneo
Digitakt
OP1

I was JJOSXL user for some time. MPCs have been part of what I do since the 90s

I may have got ahead of myself with this post though cuz I got a solid offer on my digitakt from a friend. I like that box too. Sounds so good. The lack of connectivity is starting to bother me.

The Live nails so many things but akai went cheap on some of the build aspects. The GUI is :vomit:
I gotta de lint my unit after every session! I'm leaning towards keeping it for a while longer because of what I love. But what I hate... I really hate lol.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:24 am
Fanu wrote:I've always liked how the Live feels TBH.
It could have more buttons TBH: sample edit, program edit, Locate buttons, etc.

I just don't vibe with plastic chassis. Metal... cold and heavy lol. But yeah the buttons and pads are great. Some physical mode buttons would have made sense.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:32 am
Ill-Green wrote:You did the right thing if you feel unsatisfied. **** hype and trend, get what fits you. I'm from the old school way of things, you know, "Calvin Klein no friend of mine, don't wear nobody's name on my behind".

I feel you and still it gives the things that fit my way of making beats plus the connectivity and storage I want. It won't be my last box to be certain. I'll forever be on the quest for my perfect machine.

I'm sure the new MPCs have raised the bar and the competition won't be far behind.
By Fanu Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am
It's true that the perfect unit won't ever exist. You will always have to accept some shortcomings.
Still, the new MPCs do need some work.

That being said, when it comes to just chopping and playing samples and making some beats pretty quick, the new MPCs kill it at that. The workflow for that is amazing.
As long as you're not expecting a ton of other modern features and conveniences, you're good.
By JeanPS71 Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:49 am
That's why I bought the X.

Great sturdy build.
Dedicated buttons for most functions
Integrated mixer
Preamps
and loads of qlinks........an 8 cv's

I tried the live in a music store and I couldn't find my way on it, since I'm used to the interfae of the x.
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:07 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:
Just can't get my head passed how cheap the unit feels. It isn't the most ergonomic layout. I don't like having to use the touch screen to access the modes.

>>MPC X :worthy:
By Danoc Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:28 am
I love my MPC Live. I work faster and have so much fun these days with it. I wish it had foward and rewind on the transport. But hey l knew it didn't when l went and bought it. I freakin love the pads and the buttons and the knobs. Had to get use to the functions and now lm good to go.

I like its build but could of used some metal around it like the 2000XL.

The QLinks don't bother me if l need to go to another bank just hit the button.

So lm good with mine. Best purchase in 2017.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:32 am
zangetsu01 wrote:
>>MPC X :worthy:

For sure the layout is more classic and ergo, but the GUI is bigger and just as ugly :lol:
Also that joint is almost 3K in australian dollars. For that kind of money the machine needs to do EVERYTHING. I could never invest that kind of money in Akai.

I wish they made a pro standalone version in a format like studio
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 am
Danoc wrote:I love my MPC Live. I work faster and have so much fun these days with it. I wish it had foward and rewind on the transport.

Tap the field counting the sequence position and use the big knob to jump bars. But did you know you can use the +/- buttons to move through the beats? Also if you use shift and those same buttons it will move through ticks! Sneaky performance hack :smoker:
Last edited by JeriKo Jackson on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Fanu Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:37 am
I agree about the X price…for a premium price, the product shouldn't be as immature and underdeveloped as it is. Lack of automation editing being a big thing. I really wish ppl busted Akai's balls about it way more.
By Danoc Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:17 pm
Oh yeah l been knew this hack. I prefer the shift & Data Wheel action you can forward and rewind more intricately. I was just saying l prefer the buttons on the transport like how the legacy MPCs have foward and rewind buttons.

Peace!

JeriKo Jackson wrote:
Danoc wrote:I love my MPC Live. I work faster and have so much fun these days with it. I wish it had foward and rewind on the transport.

Tap the field counting the sequence position and use the big knob to jump bars. But did you know you can use the +/- buttons to move through the beats? Also if you use shift and those same buttons it will move through ticks! Sneaky performance hack :smoker: