MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Danoc Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:05 pm
Has anyone tried the Pad Flattening technic? I love this, you can take layered pads and turn them into one pad, that is freakin Genius! :worthy: You can free up pads using that. I am just falling in love with the Air stuff and the Live. I will use my Live as my Second Drum design tool. I just sold 30 drum kits but I have a huge one coming soon, and can't wait to add some more texture of drums to it using the Live.

By marctronixx Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:20 pm
Yeah i used it a few times just to say “i used it” and get experience on it. It does free up some resources under the hood (ram, cpu, etc) so is helpful for those who need to free up the machine more. Its destructive but, so what... :)

My productions are not that intricate that i need to do this often. This machine is just a Swiss Army knife and that is a pro and a con...
By Danoc Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm
for me it's a great way to sound design. I was wondering who else used it. Some may not know about it.

marctronixx wrote:Yeah i used it a few times just to say “i used it” and get experience on it. It does free up some resources under the hood (ram, cpu, etc) so is helpful for those who need to free up the machine more. Its destructive but, so what... :)

My productions are not that intricate that i need to do this often. This machine is just a Swiss Army knife and that is a pro and a con...
By MeProd Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:15 am
I only wish this was possible with key group programs. That's much more of a resource hog then drum samples (layered pads with long decays eat up polyphony)
By Ill-Green Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:09 pm
Haha! I was under the impression there was a shaolin technique to flatten pads :lol:

No I did not know about that, still using it just banging drums making baselines traditionally. Plus I gotta update to 2.07. Just getting back to the studio since the hurricane.
By kaydigi Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:38 pm
Ill-Green wrote:Haha! I was under the impression there was a shaolin technique to flatten pads :lol:

No I did not know about that, still using it just banging drums making baselines traditionally. Plus I gotta update to 2.07. Just getting back to the studio since the hurricane.

What condition is the studio in?
By Ill-Green Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:55 pm
kaydigi wrote:
Ill-Green wrote:Haha! I was under the impression there was a shaolin technique to flatten pads :lol:

What condition is the studio in?

It's in pristine condition now. Water leaked through a window I forgot to close the night before and made some nasty mold out of the gypsum walls. I knocked all the gypsum out and replace it with brick and cement. It looks the same now but due to the cement walls, the sound is bouncing all over the place, gotta hook it up with foam when the kit arrives. Feels good to be back, it's like my mojo ignited again when I finally played some music in there. :mrgreen:
By J.O.BEATS Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:34 pm
Another "feature" that people will use just because it's there but is mostly pointless in beat making

I just don't understand why anybody would need to use this. :hmmm:
By Cockdiesel Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:09 pm
I can see this as useful in preparing live sets or settings where memory might become an issue. Heck, even with layering drums alone it seems would come I handy if you have automations, multiple effects , etc.

I must agree I think it would be pretty cool to be able to use on keygroups. You could get some way out there stuff with stacking the effects and printing to a pad. Then stacking them back up. Like cascading a few delays, flatten pad, maybe more modulation effects, flatten pad, then use the 4 effects like a channel strip with filters, eq, and compression. Tedious, but at least the options would be there.
By Danoc Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:28 pm
"Yes you will not defeact my Wu Tang Style" lol :lol:

I love it

By Danoc Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 pm
That's a great idea that's dope. Give that to Akai. People would love that.

MeProd wrote:I only wish this was possible with key group programs. That's much more of a resource hog then drum samples (layered pads with long decays eat up polyphony)
By Danoc Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:13 pm
Yes sir l agree

Cockdiesel wrote:I can see this as useful in preparing live sets or settings where memory might become an issue. Heck, even with layering drums alone it seems would come I handy if you have automations, multiple effects , etc.

I must agree I think it would be pretty cool to be able to use on keygroups. You could get some way out there stuff with stacking the effects and printing to a pad. Then stacking them back up. Like cascading a few delays, flatten pad, maybe more modulation effects, flatten pad, then use the 4 effects like a channel strip with filters, eq, and compression. Tedious, but at least the options would be there.
By Danoc Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 pm
You think its useless? It can free up pads, in live sessions its very useful. Sound designing drum is sweet with this thing.

J.O.BEATS wrote:Another "feature" that people will use just because it's there but is mostly pointless in beat making

By Danoc Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:31 pm
@ILL GREEN GLAD YOU'RE GOOD.

Yeah l just got my main computer back today. Didn't have it for a week. Man that felt weird.
By Ill-Green Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:34 pm
Danoc wrote:You think its useless? It can free up pads, in live sessions its very useful. Sound designing drum is sweet with this thing.

J.O.BEATS wrote:Another "feature" that people will use just because it's there but is mostly pointless in beat making

Yeah man, it's another method faster than resampling, plus it sounds the same, unlike resampling where it reduces the frequency slightly.