MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By elstebbano Tue May 19, 2020 4:56 pm
i was just searching here if the mpc can send midi via bluetooth and if someone is searching this via the search function or the google search I just want to post that it is possible now.
cheers
By ShengTao Tue May 19, 2020 6:59 pm
elstebbano wrote:i was just searching here if the mpc can send midi via bluetooth and if someone is searching this via the search function or the google search I just want to post that it is possible now.
cheers

Hi. Have you been able to transmit midi BT from MPC live? If so could you explain how? The 2.8 manual still only explains how to connect incoming BT.
By ShengTao Tue May 19, 2020 7:48 pm
:popcorn:
MPC-Tutor wrote:I did it with an iPad, just pair and connect the iPad in the menu > Bluetooth page and the ipad now appears in the MIDI page for incoming and outgoing midi. You can now assign it as either midi input or output on a sequencer track.

:worthy: :worthy:
Thank you!!
By EnochLight Wed May 20, 2020 12:45 am
I was able to pair my iPhone 8 Plus as well as my iPad (6th gen) on 2.8 before I sold my Live. Was able to easily control Audio Kit's Synth One, as well as KV311's Synthmaster from my Live. And like Tutor said, it claimed it failed at first when pairing - maybe something to do when it asks for you to enter the numerical code on screen (it's not necessary).
By elstebbano Wed May 20, 2020 7:48 am
For me it paired with a iPad 6th gen without problems. Right now I am not in the Studio but I am quite sure I didn’t even get a error message (could be wrong and didn’t notice). Really nice with Synth One:)
By nicolasbulb Wed May 20, 2020 10:32 am
Okaay. Initially, I’ve tried with my iPhone SE on iOS 12.4.1 with no luck. I’ve tried with an iPhone 11 with iOS 13.2.1 with no luck. I’ve decided to upgrade my iPhone SE to the latest 13.4.1 and now it works. mmh… it’s not somehting that has been documented in the iOS release note but I can confirm it is working now. Magic! But too bad, my old iPad Air 1 with ios 12.1.4 won’t make it to ios 13.4.1.
By ShengTao Wed May 20, 2020 1:01 pm
I still have not been able to get this to work.. I can pair iPad w/live, but MPC does not show up in BT/midi screen for any apps. (Gadget,Moog,groovebox,etc.) And no BT appears in Live midi settings. I updated iPad to the latest iOS, still not working.. it seems like I've established a BT connection, but without midi. I have a korg air key 25, that shows up in all the menus, maybe I need to remove it first?

:(
By EnochLight Wed May 20, 2020 2:01 pm
ShengTao wrote:I still have not been able to get this to work.. I can pair iPad w/live, but MPC does not show up in BT/midi screen for any apps. (Gadget,Moog,groovebox,etc.) And no BT appears in Live midi settings. I updated iPad to the latest iOS, still not working.. it seems like I've established a BT connection, but without midi. I have a korg air key 25, that shows up in all the menus, maybe I need to remove it first?

On your iPad, do you have a MIDI utility app installed? Try “midimittr” or Korg’s own “BLE-MIDI” app. Both are free. They might do the trick. I prefer “midimittr”.
By ShengTao Thu May 21, 2020 1:44 pm
EnochLight wrote:
ShengTao wrote:I still have not been able to get this to work.. I can pair iPad w/live, but MPC does not show up in BT/midi screen for any apps. (Gadget,Moog,groovebox,etc.) And no BT appears in Live midi settings. I updated iPad to the latest iOS, still not working.. it seems like I've established a BT connection, but without midi. I have a korg air key 25, that shows up in all the menus, maybe I need to remove it first?

On your iPad, do you have a MIDI utility app installed? Try “midimittr” or Korg’s own “BLE-MIDI” app. Both are free. They might do the trick. I prefer “midimittr”.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ble midi, but MPC wasn't showing up there either..
I'm not sure why but the issue seems to have resolved itself at least partially! I suppose after enough restarts the MPC and iPad began communicating midi correctly.
My only problem now is that the latency is horrible! Nothing like my korg air keyboard, which is amazing.
Who knows, maybe it will be another self-resolving thing.
In the meantime I think I will opt for a wired connection, since I have to connect a cable for audio to the MPC anyway.

How has latency been for you playing notes and sequencing iPad from MPC via Bluetooth?
For me, when playing back a track, entire notes would drop out, and some would trigger up to 1/16 out of time. Not what I would consider usable by any stretch.
By EnochLight Thu May 21, 2020 1:51 pm
ShengTao wrote:
EnochLight wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have ble midi, but MPC wasn't showing up there either..
I'm not sure why but the issue seems to have resolved itself at least partially! I suppose after enough restarts the MPC and iPad began communicating midi correctly.
My only problem now is that the latency is horrible! Nothing like my korg air keyboard, which is amazing.
Who knows, maybe it will be another self-resolving thing.
In the meantime I think I will opt for a wired connection, since I have to connect a cable for audio to the MPC anyway.

How has latency been for you playing notes and sequencing iPad from MPC via Bluetooth?
For me, when playing back a track, entire notes would drop out, and some would trigger up to 1/16 out of time. Not what I would consider usable by any stretch.

I’m supposed to get my Live 2 today and will test. But I generally only use Bluetooth MIDI for pads/strings, and never percussive things due to the latency. I stick to wired for that. I suppose ones’ tolerance level for acceptable latency varies.
By Rcmusic35 Thu May 21, 2020 4:41 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:BTW, it will initially claim that pairing didn't work, but ignore that and just hit 'connect' and it connects immediately. I also paired an iPhone 7, however I couldn't get it to appear as a recognised MIDI device, not sure why as others claim to have it working with iPhones.

Evn if it's not appearing as a midi device under apps, i was able to control the apps from mpc, strangely