MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By forsh Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 am
no lag pal , I used a U1 card , same as what akai put in , so I think the speed will be about the same, even though akai used a no name make card "deOluk

why they didn't put a 32 or a 64gb in I don't know, I only tested a 64gb and it worked perfect, as long as the file structure is the same with the 3 folders in the root, and in the expansions folder there is " CLIPS, The Vault 2 , Instruments then it can be any file system, ive formatted my sd card to fatex the same as my hdd, originally it was Linux EXT 0x063 .. but it doesn't matter the file system,

the mpc will not boot if there isn't a sd card in it will hang at the akai startup picture, there has to be a sd card in ,even if it has nothing on

future plans is a 128gb card and more packs on the internal storage

I found out that there can be more packs in the "instruments" and The Vault 2. even clips can have more files in there

its only good news so far
By rvense Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm
Hey Forsh - thanks for the e-mail :)

Nice to see this was possible! It's of course cheaper, especially if you already have a large MicroSD card, but I don't think there's much of a functional difference between this and installing an SSD? Does it show up differently?
By forsh Sat May 12, 2018 3:35 am
Everything went well yes.. Next it's time to change about the internal sounds and packs etc..
What did I gain with this.. Nothing really so much to write home about but it was more to prove to myself that it can be done and the mpc is just a computer really

Next on the list is a bigger sd card.. I have a 1tb hdd in already so :)

I'm also thinking that the speed to load compared to the external sd card is faster

External is on the USB host and internal is direct on the motherboard
By Ill-Green Mon May 14, 2018 6:18 am
For that, Akai should've made the SD slot to expand on the internal memory like the old Roland SPs. An SP606 for example. On its own you get 13 minutes of sample time, but stick in a 256MB CF card and you get 3 hours sample time, stick in a 512MB card and you get 6 hours of samples.
By drasp Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:45 pm
Great thread! I recently bought a Live with internal memory problem. Put a U3 128Gb card in with the file structure listed above. Boots fine, install an SSD & external SD. Exported the Vault, Essentials, etc. from the PC MPC suite to the SSD, then took the micro SD & SSD our and tried to move all the expansion files to the micro - NO LUCK! Also tried exporting from the PC software to the micro SD. Files are there, but the MPC see doesn’t show them when installed in the internal slot.

Any ideas!? Do the individual expansion files need to be installed differently on the internal card than other media!?

edit - possible it’s to do with the name? I’ve tried not naming the card, and naming it “Internal”, but both show up as Drive name: <No name> under Drive Info dialog on the Live.
Bymember04959388 Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:18 am
Woah.
But if you have 1TB hard disk, why do you need more internal gigabytes?
Just to ask.
Very nice discovering anyway.
But the real thing would be to upgrade the 2gb ram, isn't it?
By drasp Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:38 am
I don't plan to do much with the factory media, BUT I'm new to the MPC world and would really like to have all the stock samples, etc. just the same as would have come originally on the failed 16Gb card. I know these may seem silly, but I feel like I must be missing something very simple. . . I'd like to have the stock files on the internal drive, but a larger, faster & higher quality drive. Then I'd like to use my SSD for all my own samples & projects, and use the external SD to move files back & forth easily between devices.

Just stuck trying to get the Live to recognize the exapansions (Vault 2.0, Essential Instruments, etc.)
By drasp Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:08 pm
No dice - this is still eluding me for some reason! I've exported the expansions a few different ways, none show up once the microSD is installed & booted. I am able to save my own projects just fine, and the internal card seems to be working normally in every other way - MUST be some simple error in the naming/file structure that is keeping the system from seeing it.

Also worth noting - I have a VERY slow boot, doesn't seem to matter what drives are installed or what size they are. Same with a 128Gb U3 internal + 128Gb SSD + 64Gb U3 external SD as with only an empty internal card - possible this is also related to the Live not seeing what it expects on the internal card @ boot?
By autotech Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:57 am
drasp wrote:No dice - this is still eluding me for some reason! I've exported the expansions a few different ways, none show up once the microSD is installed & booted. I am able to save my own projects just fine, and the internal card seems to be working normally in every other way - MUST be some simple error in the naming/file structure that is keeping the system from seeing it.

Also worth noting - I have a VERY slow boot, doesn't seem to matter what drives are installed or what size they are. Same with a 128Gb U3 internal + 128Gb SSD + 64Gb U3 external SD as with only an empty internal card - possible this is also related to the Live not seeing what it expects on the internal card @ boot?

I'm not sure if you ever got this solved. I managed to install a 64GB U3 SD card with no trouble. I got all the factory content copied over as well as all the expansion packs to date. A total of about 40GB.
The more expansions you have, the longer the boot time.

I must note that I use Ubuntu Linux 18.04 and I formatted the SD card in its native identical (EXT4 format) to the factory original SD card inside the MPC Live.

I simply copied all the files in the root of the original SD card over to my desktop and then to the newly formatted EXT4 (64GB) SD card. I then proceeded to copy all the expansions in the "Expansions" directory. All went without issues.

I don't think that a 128GB SD card would be the issue, as the MPC Live firmware is essentially Linux. If you haven't tried formatting in EXT4 format, perhaps you should give it a try.

You might need formatting or disk software to format in EXT4. You can always use a Live USB Linux distribution to do your dirty work and then go right back to Windows/MacOS.
Hope this helps.

Cheers,

AT
By SeeWallyDo Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:55 am
Also be careful putting your MPC back together. Take note which screws are shorter / longer and where they go... You dont want to put a long screw where a short one goes... This could damage the board.

(I used a white out pen to put a dot next to the screw holes for the shorter screws)