MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By roger_roger Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:02 am
Hi!

I've just bought the Keystep from Arturia last week because I want to use it as an arp for my MPC Live.
But now I have the following problem.

I want to use the Arturia keystep with the MPC live to sync with the MPC live BPM.

What I did is connected the Keystep with the USB to the MPC.
And also with a midi cable.
Keystep: midi in <--------> MPC live: midi out B

In the sync menu my settings are:
Send: Midi Clock
Send Port: Midi Out B

But the keystep (arp) won’t sync with the MPC live BPM.
What I’m I doing wrong? :roll:
By Moho Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:43 am
Have you changed the small switches on the back of the Keystep to midi ?
By clunk1976 Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:45 pm
Ive just tried exactly the same yet i can't get the Keystep Arp to sync with the tempo on the MPC?

Keystep is connected to MPC via USB.
MIDI OUT B (MPC) to MIDI IN (Keystep)

In Preferences/Sync menu on the MPC, SEND is set to MIDI clock and SEND PORT 1 is set to MIDI OUT B...

DIP switches on the rear of the Keystep are set to MIDI.

Now i play the Arp on the Keystep and change the tempo on the MPC but there is no change?

Help!!!!

(MPC Firmware: 2.0.7)
By Moho Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:39 pm
Update your firmware see if that helps
By clunk1976 Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:11 pm
Upgraded firmware but still didn't work....

Just to confirm, im trying to play an MPC patch using the Keystep Arp and control the tempo on the MPC.... so frustrated im on the verge of giving up....

(keystep is nice BTW - really well built...)
By Moho Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:03 am
I've just tried it and no problems.

I have my send ports set to NONE because when I set it to the port the beatstep is on it doubles the beatstep's tempo ie. when the beatstep is set to 1/4 notes you get 8 to the bar :hmmm: might be a midi echo but I'm sure I have thru turned off on the beatstep but maybe that only applies to the midi ports not the usb, anyway even set to NONE it follows the tempo.

Have you tried it with just midi leads?

Stupid question but you are pressing play on both devices? if you can play an arp without pressing play on the MPC then the beatstep isn't set to sync. The switches on the back can be confusing as they are represented by white squares not the black. (confused me at first)

Hope this was of some help, let me know how it goes.
By Crumb$ Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:56 pm
Oldish post, I know, but it's entirely relevant so didn't want to start a new one.

I just bought the Arturia Keystep to use with my MPC Live. It's connected via USB and works fine as a keyboard. I hoped that it would slave to the MPC to use the ARP on the Keystep but it doesn't seem to. I have the dip switches set to USB.

Anyone got any thoughts on this...? My next move will be to try a midi cable but I'm travelling at the moment and hoped it could sync via USB.

Thanks
By Cockdiesel Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:49 pm
You would have to use the midi out of the Mpc as mentioned earlier.

You can also use the tap tempo as I did before the Mpc got an arp. Although the sh-101style sequencer is pretty cool on the keystep.