MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Transmisser Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 pm
Hey all. I just switched from Maschine to an MPC X (first MPC for me). Overall, I love the workflow so much better than Maschine and I don't think I'll be going back.

Anyways, I've noticed that the 1/8'' headphone jack on the front of my X isn't very secure. It clicks in somewhat, but it's fairly easy for the 1/8'' cable to come out. If I take it out, there's slight resistance, but not much. My headphone signal is fine (no audio cutting out). I just want to know if this is case on the overall build quality, or if I should consider exchanging it.

That said, it's definitely brand new, bought from GC.

Also, I checked the 1/4'' headphone input and that connection is very secure, so no issues there.

Thanks
Last edited by Transmisser on Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By saltmcgault Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:00 pm
SupremeSoulstice wrote:From GC store or online? Maybe it was a demo. GC is known to sell demos as new.

that sounds like some type of shit that would happen to me no joke.
By Transmisser Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 pm
SupremeSoulstice wrote:From GC store or online? Maybe it was a demo. GC is known to sell demos as new.

I bought it at an actual GC Store. When they pulled the box it still had the circular sticker on it that seals the box. It didn't look like it had ever been opened and when I got home, I went over it and couldn't find a scratch or finger print on it. I just got back from GC to test the headphone input on their demo MPC X and it does the same thing. I'm wondering if it's just how they all are.
By Moho Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:32 pm
Headphone jack of my Live offers very little resistance when inserting or removing, so maybe they are all like that.
By Transmisser Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:41 pm
So I just got off the phone with Akai Support and the guy I spoke to seems to think it was a design choice for the 1/8'' headphone jack to come out easy. He told me he tested a few X's 1/8'' headphone jacks and said that they came out pretty easily and that it's not as secure a connection compared to plugging into a laptop 1/8'' headphone jack, which would be more 'secure'.

The connector isn't sliding out when using the 1/8'' headphone jack, but it isn't exactly 'secure'. There's slight resistance when taking it out, but again, it doesn't take much. I guess I'll just use the 1/4'' headphone in...

Any X users notice this?
By mr_debauch Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:09 pm
my live used to be pretty snug, but the other day after not using my live for a few weeks i went to fire it up, and somehow it was loose. it still works but I suspect if i turned it downward and shook the machine that the headphone cable would fall out. I was thinking maybe it would be an idea to replace it with a 1/4" jack if there is room in the thing. maybe I will take a look some day.
By Heavie Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:38 pm
Danoc wrote:No headphone jack would be loose by design. if it's loose that's a bad installment. Mines is not loose.

Jesus, Danoc. Akai's warehouse assembly plant must have broken the MPC Live mode after making your unit. Of all the MPC Live owners here. You seem to owned the perfect assemble unit and you paid the least for it. Why don't you send your unit back to akai. So they can figure out all the faults being made on the assembly line and throw them a couple more dollars, to let them know how you really appreciate your perfect unit. Just Kidding :lol:
By Ill-Green Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:52 pm
On my Live, the headphone jack clicks in and is pretty tight like a headphone jack should. I had a player that was loose with the 1/8 jacks, it was because they were neglected at manufacturing, had to go in and replace it from an old walkman. By comparison, it looks like they never installed the lip that secures the jack in place, it usually their by design, but if not, its a shit.
By Danoc Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:45 pm
:lol: :lol: lol niw that's funny. Yep l had the first batch that went out and thank the lord l haven't had any problems. I feel for peeps though. I even like the software :-)

Heavie wrote:
Jesus, Danoc. Akai's warehouse assembly plant must have broken the MPC Live mode after making your unit. Of all the MPC Live owners here. You seem to owned the perfect assemble unit and you paid the least for it. Why don't you send your unit back to akai. So they can figure out all the faults being made on the assembly line and throw them a couple more dollars, to let them know how you really appreciate your perfect unit. Just Kidding :lol:
By SupremeSoulstice Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:02 am
It’s not loose per say as far as the jack is concerned. It doesn’t wiggle around. It comes out fairly easy with a nice pull. You don’t have to worry about the jack coming out and there’s no loss in audio quality. Dan over at Gearslutz has already addressed this.