MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By auricle Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:54 am
Hi all,

I've been pondering for a while on getting an MPC X as the centre of my hardware setup. Currently, I'm using the great Squarp Pyramid for my sequencer but I'd also like to record/sample/chop/etc my hardware.

I just have a single question (for now!). I have a few drum patches on a couple of romplers I'd like to use. Is it possible to map notes onto pads for an external MIDI program and save it for later use?

Thank you.
By dryad-66 Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:21 am
auricle wrote:Hi all,

I've been pondering for a while on getting an MPC X as the centre of my hardware setup. Currently, I'm using the great Squarp Pyramid for my sequencer but I'd also like to record/sample/chop/etc my hardware.

I just have a single question (for now!). I have a few drum patches on a couple of romplers I'd like to use. Is it possible to map notes onto pads for an external MIDI program and save it for later use?

Thank you.

I dont think its possible to map pads to notes on the Live/X.Previous MPC s you could.I hope im wrong.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:50 am
auricle wrote:Hi all,

Thank you.

Yes, you can map notes to each pad and save them as a custom midi program.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By auricle Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:35 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Yes, you can map notes to each pad and save them as a custom drum program.

Sorry just a further question. Can a drum program send to the MIDI outs?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:17 pm
auricle wrote:Sorry just a further question. Can a drum program send to the MIDI outs?

In the MPC X you'll need to use MIDI Control mode. From MIDI Control mode you can create custom maps and save them as project. This is the only way i know of now.
By auricle Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:42 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:There is lots of interest to be able to map pads the way you want. Perhaps they will implement it one day.

But what's the downside of doing it as it's currently implemented?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:50 pm
auricle wrote:But what's the downside of doing it as it's currently implemented?

That only works when using the MPC X or LIVE as a generic controller. However, that feature has not be implemented in standalone, like the old MPC can do. They are working on it, from what I heard.