MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By bredal187 Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:56 pm
For real? Can I not add portamento to an instrument? :Sigh:
By Cgip Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:11 am
Nope. Still no portamento yet in keygroups. Pretty ridiculous right?
By bredal187 Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:13 am
Wow.... was doing some 303 bassline with the "dedicated" Model 3 filter and was thinking, hey, all i need is to add some portamento. After browsing all menues and ctrl + f through the manual I just found out... holy ****. When was the Live released? 1965? I mean, the Mini Moog from 1970 has it.

I guess I wont be doing any 1990's gangsta whine melodies on this machine :Sigh: :WTF: :fku:
By bredal187 Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:29 am
Guess Akai is "special"!

• E-MU ESI-2000 has portamento
• Teenage Engineering OP-1 has portamento
• Elektron Analog Four has Portamento and Legato
• Novation Circuit has portamento
• Dave Smith Tempest portamento
By Sharris Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:20 pm
I'm unable to watch the below video right now (I'm at work), but dude makes it seem like portamento is possible with the software (I think he draws it in, but at least it seems possible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRyoe0GA39U

I could be wrong, but isn't portamento more of a synth feature?

I know some samplers have it, but I thought it was more common in synths...... & when it's included in a sampler, the sampler wasn't considered a drum sampler (as far as I know MPC's are considered drum samplers slash midi sequencers).

Yeah, I just looked it up:

"The Akai MPC is a digital sampling drum machine & midi sequencer"

The only thing I can think of that would make sense to use portamento on are synths, bass, strings, ect (melody & bass type sounds) making it understandable that the MPC Live doesn't have it.

And I understand you can control synths with an MPC & also use synth samples, but it's still considered a drum machine. I think it would be special if it HAD portamento......... I wonder if there are any drum samplers out there that have it?
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:07 am
The last MPC that had Portamento was the MPC 5000. Since the X/Live are based off of the Ren/Touch with the same software. It has not been implemented. People have been requesting this feature since it came out, perhaps they add the feature.
By Smackdee Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:26 am
I've been saying this since day one, such a shame to not have this in 2018!
By Sharris Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:10 pm
Def would be cool if they added it. & it seems it's getting closer & closer to being an all in 1 unit over being just a drum machine, so maybe someday.

I just use a synth that has it, but I can see how it would be cool to glide melody samples & sub bass samples.
By handed Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:18 am
At this point, no portamento is the reason I haven’t bought a Live. If it was implemented, I would.
By kaydigi Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:01 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:The last MPC that had Portamento was the MPC 5000. Since the X/Live are based off of the Ren/Touch with the same software. It has not been implemented. People have been requesting this feature since it came out, perhaps they add the feature.

I thought it was said the the REN and Studio were based off the 5000 codebase?
By Danoc Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:01 pm
Do any of you have portamento on your plugins? If so why not use that? I use the glude in Omnisphere 2 which is so dope and the easiest to use. Also set up that in Reason also.
By bredal187 Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:46 pm
Danoc wrote:Do any of you have portamento on your plugins? If so why not use that? I use the glude in Omnisphere 2 which is so dope and the easiest to use. Also set up that in Reason also.

Hard to run plugins in standalone mode
By Danoc Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:00 am
:hmmm: lm confused at your want. Are you trying to bend drums or bass in standalone? What does the portamento do?

bredal187 wrote:

Hard to run plugins in standalone mode