MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By ANIMISM Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:14 am
Scott Righteous wrote:I'm using a Midi Solutions Footswitch Contoller

I've got this working so that it sends record MMC to the Live, however the Live has some details that have derailed my goals of using it as a live midi looper..

How did you get this to happen? I'm having no luck figuring it out with a new Blackstar Live Logic controller. It's still sending program changes, but the "custom" mapping I set up isn't doing the Play, Stop or Tap Tempo syncing I'm attempting. Thanks!
By OrionG Sat Nov 06, 2021 2:14 am
Booo, still no overdub sysex commands available.
I did however do some snooping with midi monitor and my morningstar mc6ii....
As @ScottRighetous noted previously, the mpc, once you hit record will go to the end of the bar and then transition into overdub but with the morningstar midi pedal you can program buttons to be triggered on release so i thought to try this.
Press - RECORD: 4 127 127 6 6
Release - RECORD STOP: 4 127 127 6 7

It's weird and doesn't really replace my need for overdub BUT it does engage record when you press the button and stops recording when you release it. Maybe it's useful for a punch in and out situation.

Unfortunately for me Record still replaces what you had recorded and I still need overdub at my feet but maybe one day we'll get there lol.
By Ultros Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:51 pm
midi message internally for that is

TYPE/ADDR/VALUE
0x90, 0x50, 0x7F //on
0x90, 0x50, 0x00 //off

convert those bytes to decimal and you may be able to figure it out from there.
By Ultros Sat Nov 06, 2021 8:54 pm
overdub will be right beside record.. you can brute force it.

try sending

4 127 127 6 6

5 127 127 6 6

6 127 127 6 6

etc until you get a hit.
By Kwerky Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:28 am
Goodwinmcd wrote:
OrionG wrote:Heyyo.
So I have all these working on my morningstar mc6 2 along with the mpclive in standalone:
PLAY: 4 127 127 6 2
STOP: 4 127 127 6 1
RESET: 11 127 0 6 68 6 1 0 0 0 0 0
RECORD: 4 127 127 6 6
DEFERRED PLAY: 4 127 127 6 3

Any chance anyone has figured out the sysex for overdub in stand alone mode?
Same for looper.
One thing to note, in controller mode you can indeed assign midi cc to control the looper but i think we're all here for standalone mode control. :-D

I know this is old but this confused me.

Does 4 127 (4F?) Correspond to any standard midi messages? It doesn't look it.... So MPC just created their own Midi implementation?

Trying to integrate a UMI3 foot switch with it but you can only program standard messages (Note on, CC, PC, MMC, etc). Really frustrating.

(2 years later, for anyone having trouble understanding this thread)
Most MIDI gear responds to MMC messages, that is MIDI messages for Play, Stop, Record.
The MPC appears to completely ignore them, and because of this we've had to resort to using Sysex
Sysex is standard MIDI, giving the ability to talk directly to equipment, each manufacturer defines exactly how these are used.
Ideally they should document them for users, but many don't.
Sysex is usually expressed in hexadecimal, rather decimal like the above.
Sysex commands start with the byte F0, then the message in a number of bytes, ending with F7.
Using hexadecimal the full sysex messages are:

play
F0 04 7F 7F 06 02 F7
stop
F0 04 7F 7F 06 01 F7
deferred play
F0 04 7F 7F 06 03 F7
record
F0 04 7F 7F 06 06 F7
reset
F0 0a 7F 00 06 44 06 01 00 00 00 00 F7

MIDI Solutions has two devices you can program to convert MMC Play, Stop & Record into Sysex
Event Processor or Foot Controller. There is software to program them, & all sysex is in hexadecimal.

Visit their site for more information
https://midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm
https://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

Hopefully this helps
By Uncle Dieppe Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:38 am
I use a Nektar Pacer Footswitch pedal board, to control MMC on the MPC One with no problems,it also worked perfectly with the X when I had it and I've used it for a couple of years prior to this with my MPC4K to control the Transport functions

The Nektar Pacer has a dedicated MMC template so long as you have MMC receive option enabled on the MPC it works flawlessly, you dont need to enter Sysex strings to the pedals o the Nektar neither it just utilises the standard MMC command numbers
By Kwerky Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:31 pm
You're right.
The last email I wrote before doing anything with MMC & my new MPC ONE.
I was scrolling through messages on my phone, saw this thread & thought I'd help by clarifying.
I've since tested MMC works just fine with MPC ONE with v2.10.1
Thanks for the confirmation.
By OrionG Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:59 pm
You’re right kwerky, i was notating the sysex commands in a format the morningstar pedal would recognize:
Play F0 04 7F 7F 06 02 F7 Is the same as 4 127 127 6 2 on the morningstar
Although i think they went ahead and added all that to the mmc controls.

I can’t believe we dont have overdub at our feet yet especially with the drop of the keys 61.
By Alemiao Sat Jul 09, 2022 1:10 pm
I'm looking for a remote controller to press PLAY on the MPC Live before getting onstage.
I tried with many solution but nothing work...

Now I bought a WIDI master wireless midi bluetooth adapter and paired it with "MIDI COMMANDER" app on my android smartphone,

The app can configure buttons with different sysex messages or send sysex dump by file

My MPC recognizes midi in signals but anyway it's not working :(

But I think I'm very close, the problem is I'm very ignorant about sysex...

anyone tried this solution??
By SakisX Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:04 pm
Alemiao wrote:I'm looking for a remote controller to press PLAY on the MPC Live before getting onstage.
I tried with many solution but nothing work...

Now I bought a WIDI master wireless midi bluetooth adapter and paired it with "MIDI COMMANDER" app on my android smartphone,

The app can configure buttons with different sysex messages or send sysex dump by file

My MPC recognizes midi in signals but anyway it's not working :(

But I think I'm very close, the problem is I'm very ignorant about sysex...

anyone tried this solution??

Hi, by the description of the app ,
https://www.bordero.it/Apps/MidiCommander/index.html

Every SYSEX message starts with F0 and ends with F7. You DO NOT NEED to specify these values, that are automatically inserted by the app.

do you accidentally send F0 ... F7 ? if so you should only send :
04 7F 7F 06 02

might worth sending the standard play command
FA
By ashbury Fri May 26, 2023 6:47 am
Maybe someone can help. I've got the MPC Live and bought the Morningstar MC6 MK2. I've connected them. There seems to get Midi message through (since there is this Midi Symbol on the MPC flashing when hitting a button on the MC6) but the MPC doesn't start playing.
I've made a screenshot from the Morningstar Editor but can't upload it here.
What I've done: in one preset I set
Msg 1 to "Press" and Type "SysEx" an then: Lenght/P1: 4, P2: 127, P3: 127, P4: 6
Msg 2 to "Press" and Type "SysEx" an then: Lenght/P1: 2, P2: 0, P3: 0, P4: 0

Can anyone help please. Why isn't the MPC start playing?
Thanks Ashley
By Ericd921 Sun Jun 18, 2023 12:00 am
I have a Morningstar MC6 Pro that I’ve programmed with the codes I’ve found on here. I added a midi clock tap tempo as well. My problem is that when I press Play on the foot switch, the MPC Live II will not play at the tempo set by the foot switch, but if I press play on the MPC, it will follow the foot switch tap tempo. I don’t know what to do to fix it. Has anyone experienced this?
By Ultros Sun Jun 18, 2023 4:50 pm
Ericd921 wrote:I have a Morningstar MC6 Pro that I’ve programmed with the codes I’ve found on here. I added a midi clock tap tempo as well. My problem is that when I press Play on the foot switch, the MPC Live II will not play at the tempo set by the foot switch, but if I press play on the MPC, it will follow the foot switch tap tempo. I don’t know what to do to fix it. Has anyone experienced this?

go to the midi settings in the mpc look for clock out, disable it. then look for clock in, enable it. Enable mtc in and disable mtc out. that should work to set your pedal as the master clock. May also have some options similar in the pedal as well. It would be clock out on, clock in off.