MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fanu Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Here is a list of features they promoted, can anyone tell me which one does not work?

MPC LIVE FEATURES:
Standalone MPC — no computer required

Computer is required for very basic automation editing or removing one specific type of automation per track (as opposed to deleting all automation, which Live/X can do).

Harassing is good.
We got alternating loop due to me harassing the heck outta Akai for that. Then Jah finally got in touch with me and asked me to do a video for the team explaining it, so I did it using Ableton Live, and pretty soon after that we got alternating loop in an update.
Voicing your wishes in a constructive manner is good.
Bymember04959388 Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:23 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Here is a list of features they promoted, can anyone tell me which one does not work?

MPC LIVE FEATURES:
Standalone MPC — no computer required |
7” high-resolution multi-touch display |
Internal, rechargeable lithium-ion battery
Phono, instrument and line inputs |
2 pairs of MIDI Inputs and Outputs |
16GB of on-board storage (over 10 gigs of sound content included)
2GB of RAM | Full-size SD card slot |
User-expandable 2.5” SATA drive connector (SSD or HDD) |
2 USB-A 3.0 slots for thumb drives or MIDI controllers
Ableton Link over WiFi | Future versions will support Ableton Link.
Bluetooth 4.0 Midi Support

MPC 2 SOFTWARE FEATURES
New graphical interface |
Audio track recording |
Real-time time-stretching and pitch-shifting |
Clip Program mode for clip-launching workflow
Reimagined mixer layout — resizable faders, an adaptive channel strip, a dedicated audio track |
Editing window, resizable waveform view
Advanced signal routing capability — submixes, FX returns, multi-output plugin support |
More efficient and streamlined MPC workflow
Audio and MIDI drag and drop | Enhanced QLink control

In standalone:
- Clip mode is buggy, sometimes it works and sometimes stops with no reason and it cannot be used together with drum programs and keygroups.
- XY effects are not saved with project.
- Automation can only be saved manually and there is no way to change it or edit, only delete and resave manually.
- Warp is a bit weird.
- Some pops and glitches when you start or stop a sample in clip mode.
By Unreallystic Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:13 pm
It is overpriced.

The MPC Live is like the Nintendo Switch. Feature wise, it will lose hands down to all the more traditional competitors, laptop with a fleshed out DAW and controller being the main one. It has a couple strong features that can compete with the features of the market place...I put just as much time into BotW as I did Horizon. However, if you don't get it as your main system. You most likely buy the PS4 or the XBOne first and that's what you 'traiditonally' do at home, so when you buy 2k, its to play on those systems. Every now and then though, its "nice" to pull out the Switch/Live and play "somewhere else", whether it be a long car ride, on a trip, during lunch, at the park, etc....that's where it IMO shines

But the PS4 and the XBOne - at least the current iterations are like $400+, while the Switch is a much more palatable $300, and comes with most of what you need out the box. That's the difference. You don't need an expensive ass laptop to make music, in theory you can get a full version of say FL and a laptop for a stack, and of course even better stats @ the MPC's $1200. This laptop can run VSTs, some you may already own, if not you can find free ones, or spend some change on getting some - either way your functionality will start to ZOOM past the MPC, for equivalent or only a little more. in cost. That's why the MPC is overpriced. It might be worth the 'cost', but price wise I could argue $900 is about where it belongs, a hundred and change above the Elektron Digitakt, to compensate for the cost of the battery and the screen (which actually shouldn't be substantial).
-Unreall
By Bezo Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:23 pm
Danoc wrote:Ahhh huh. But ya never said its over priced in your last writing. lol
I loved the way you just danced around shufflin your feet lol

Bezo wrote:We all value things differently. One's answer depends on what method they use. Price vs income, price vs competition, price vs cost of manufacturing, etc.

And we all paid different prices too, so there's that.
Huh? I'm simply stating why we can all have different opinions and be justified.

But OK. You want me to reiterate my stance every post to indicate I haven't changed it? It's probably better to assume my stance hasn't changed unless I state it. Or just keep twisting.

Just in case, I still feel the MPC Live is over priced (feet planted). How is that?
By chino Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:04 pm
Danoc wrote:WILL YOU GUYS WHO CLAIM AKAI ADVERTISED THINGS THAT DON'T WORK ANSWER CHARLES RANDOLPH's QUESTION? Its a very good question.
Just like l asked what machine can f**k wit the MPC Live in features and l got no logical answer.

Let me play devil's advocate here...

1. Charles's question is a great question. INITIALLY, Akai released the MPC Live & X with a bunch of missing advertised features. Fast forward to the present, Akai has added those features and they do 'work'(in the loose Akai definition of 'work'). A better question is if the features all work well together?? Can you produce an entire song/remix WITHOUT a freeze, crash, reboot etc. I KNOW I couldn't. After my Ren fiasco, I attempted to give the MPC Live a shot. A DJ friend owns a Live, so I went over to his place to try it out. Literary within 15 min of use I had a screen freeze. After that, the Live crashed while trying to save a project?! :Sigh:

2. What machine can go head to head with the MPC Live & MPC X?????
My 'ol trusty battle ship- the Roland MV8800!!! :smoker: :nod: :lol: :popcorn:
Bymember04959388 Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:49 pm
chino wrote:
Danoc wrote:WILL YOU GUYS WHO CLAIM AKAI ADVERTISED THINGS THAT DON'T WORK ANSWER CHARLES RANDOLPH's QUESTION? Its a very good question.
Just like l asked what machine can f**k wit the MPC Live in features and l got no logical answer.

Let me play devil's advocate here...

1. Charles's question is a great question. INITIALLY, Akai released the MPC Live & X with a bunch of missing advertised features. Fast forward to the present, Akai has added those features and they do 'work'(in the loose Akai definition of 'work'). A better question is if the features all work well together?? Can you produce an entire song/remix WITHOUT a freeze, crash, reboot etc. I KNOW I couldn't. After my Ren fiasco, I attempted to give the MPC Live a shot. A DJ friend owns a Live, so I went over to his place to try it out. Literary within 15 min of use I had a screen freeze. After that, the Live crashed while trying to save a project?! :Sigh:

I think you made something wrong.
Blame yourself, not the machine.
Mine never freezed and crashed once a year ago.
I use it to play live and perform it live without any issue.
And I use it since one year.
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm
im going to wait and see if it ever gets cheaper or if I find a rarely used one on ebay. I want to get a solid 88 key keyboard for my next purchase. Then I will drop some coin for a live.
By Danoc Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 pm
Well..... let me say this, my screen hasn't frozen on me, no glitches etc etc etc!

Now your MV8800 going against the Live? With me on the live and you on the MV? I depends on who is working the machine. But I tell you without doubt I can rock my live against your MV, but for what though? The thing is my live does what I need it to do and I work fast. I've already shown the justification of why it's no over priced vs people just saying "Its over priced" with no sound justification.
Whether I'm in Standalone or connected to the computer with the Live I getz bizzy! I don't see anyone agreeing the features are better on the MV8800 than the live!

My video and I am connected to the laptop, and not once did it glitch!

Now if we talking features against features the MV8800 ain't f***king with the Live and Definitely not the X, You must be smoking that good ish from Mars! :lol: :lol: :lol: :smoker:

chino wrote:1. Charles's question is a great question. INITIALLY, Akai released the MPC Live & X with a bunch of missing advertised features. Fast forward to the present, Akai has added those features and they do 'work'(in the loose Akai definition of 'work'). A better question is if the features all work well together?? Can you produce an entire song/remix WITHOUT a freeze, crash, reboot etc. I KNOW I couldn't. After my Ren fiasco, I attempted to give the MPC Live a shot. A DJ friend owns a Live, so I went over to his place to try it out. Literary within 15 min of use I had a screen freeze. After that, the Live crashed while trying to save a project?! :Sigh: [/size]

By Danoc Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:40 pm
saltmcgault wrote:im going to wait and see if it ever gets cheaper or if I find a rarely used one on ebay. I want to get a solid 88 key keyboard for my next purchase. Then I will drop some coin for a live.

What are you looking for in the 88 key range? Is it going to be midi or with sounds?
I got blessed to get a midi 76 keyboard by Roland-33 for $100 bucks with a free travel case on ebay. That was so sweet, and it's in mint condition. I love playing on it, semi weighted keys and they are the full keys not the non full keys.
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Danoc wrote:
saltmcgault wrote:im going to wait and see if it ever gets cheaper or if I find a rarely used one on ebay. I want to get a solid 88 key keyboard for my next purchase. Then I will drop some coin for a live.

What are you looking for in the 88 key range? Is it going to be midi or with sounds?
I got blessed to get a midi 76 keyboard by Roland-33 for $100 bucks with a free travel case on ebay. That was so sweet, and it's in mint condition. I love playing on it, semi weighted keys and they are the full keys not the non full keys.

i was lookin at the roland rd800, but really my options are open.
By Danoc Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:41 pm
Yo is RD800 brand new? Did Roland stop making them?
That's a bad ass! I love that and it has the side pitch bend. I hate the wheel bender.
Are you going to run that through an interface.? I got mines for ITB use and lm loving it.

So do you need sounds or you can rock midi only?

saltmcgault wrote:
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:54 pm
Danoc wrote:Yo is RD800 brand new? Did Roland stop making them?
That's a bad ass! I love that and it has the side pitch bend. I hate the wheel bender.
Are you going to run that through an interface.? I got mines for ITB use and lm loving it.

saltmcgault wrote:

i think they have a newer model now. Im content with getting that one. kraft music was selling a seat stand and cover with it for $1700 a year ago and you could do a 5 year 0% interest credit deal. At a music store here in the **** of iowa they were selling it for $3,000 so i just went there and checked out the display model for like a half hour. :lol: Its pretty dope. hopefully i can find a deal like that as soon as i catch up on responsibilites and stack some coin.
By saltmcgault Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:03 pm
Danoc wrote:Yo is RD800 brand new? Did Roland stop making them?

I play my roland sk88 pro into the mpc then when i have everything in place (beat) then i record into ableton. I use the focusrite scarlette 18i20 interface that thing is dope ive just been trying to get multitracking down. Its nice having the 8 assign mix outs on the 2500. I hate tracking shit out but youll get the best sound that way. I'm rying to up my game in the mixing and eq'ing dept. ive tried **** with midi but it just seems like theres too much latency going on for me to get in a groove.
By Danoc Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:26 am
Mang you ginna have to save more than coins. You'll have to save some stacks lol
Yo l use to play my Korg Trinity and other sound modules into the 2000XL. I didnt use midi in the traditional sense. I use to make the drums play my keys while in record into the 2000XL. Place it on a pad hit play and and it was on time.

OMG tracking out is the worse. I got so sick of that and trying to lock up the midi... A freakin nightmare. I went to ITB and loving it. When you track out you get what is known as noise floor. When inside the box there is no noise floor. Making to the best to mix. The live eliminates tracking.

saltmcgault wrote:
I play my roland sk88 pro into the mpc then when i have everything in place (beat) then i record into ableton. I use the focusrite scarlette 18i20 interface that thing is dope ive just been trying to get multitracking down. Its nice having the 8 assign mix outs on the 2500. I hate tracking **** out but youll get the best sound that way. I'm rying to up my game in the mixing and eq'ing dept. ive tried **** with midi but it just seems like theres too much latency going on for me to get in a groove.