MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Caustic Yoda Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:30 am
This is just a distraction we need a complete mpc as per the advertised capabilities, still cooking on a half finished machine, elektron are making good on the digitakt updates and software, such an inspirational machine compared to this live pile of junk that is hardly stable enough to use live, come on akai or whatever company owns you, lift your game
By dryad-66 Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:55 am
I dont need to dig in 'crates' to make music.I do need a good,stable machine tho!!!!!!!!! And sounds.Which might come from crates.Give me a sound source and i will provide the music expression.Not to take away from the art of diggin.But the last thing i want at this stage of life is loads of some one elses music ,vinyl and recordings in my creative space.Ive been surrounded by records,tapes and CD's since the 70's lol.But i would like a quick source of hits,stabs ect.I have an X arriving today so i hope im not gonna be disappointed :shock: I do think Akai are gonna drop a big update and are making sure its bombproof.There's a lot riding on this.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:12 am
dryad-66 wrote:I dont need to dig in 'crates' to make music.I do need a good,stable machine tho!!!!!!!!! And sounds.Which might come from crates.Give me a sound source and i will provide the music expression.Not to take away from the art of diggin.But the last thing i want at this stage of life is loads of some one elses music ,vinyl and recordings in my creative space.Ive been surrounded by records,tapes and CD's since the 70's lol.But i would like a quick source of hits stabs ect.I have an X arriving today so i hope im not gonna be dissapointed :shock:

I understand, but digging is more than just sounds. It's actually Ethnomusicology. When Crate Digging by osmosis, we learn about culture, story, ideas, emotions, soul, spirit, movements, and rhythmic styles. Hard to get that from downloadable stab. The best musician listen to lots of music, just like great writers, read lots of books.

Also if you digged those crates, you'll know which records have the best stabs, what musicians played it, what instrument they used, what studio they recorded in, and what gear they used. That's If you're interested in that kind of information. :-D

Nevertheless, Splice seems like a good service. I hope it continues to strive for the sake of music. My only issue with online services is hackers, I'm not sure I want a third party company having access to my music device. They hacked and bricked PS4 by sending consoles a private message. My turntables never did that. :lol:
By dryad-66 Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:49 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
dryad-66 wrote:I dont need to dig in 'crates' to make music.I do need a good,stable machine tho!!!!!!!!! And sounds.Which might come from crates.Give me a sound source and i will provide the music expression.Not to take away from the art of diggin.But the last thing i want at this stage of life is loads of some one elses music ,vinyl and recordings in my creative space.Ive been surrounded by records,tapes and CD's since the 70's lol.But i would like a quick source of hits stabs ect.I have an X arriving today so i hope im not gonna be dissapointed :shock:

I understand, but digging is more than just sounds. It's actually Ethnomusicology. When Crate Digging by osmosis, we learn about culture, story, ideas, emotions, soul, spirit, movements, and rhythmic styles. Hard to get that from downloadable stab. The best musician listen to lots of music, just like great writers, read lots of books.

Also if you digged those crates, you'll know which records have the best stabs, what musicians played it, what instrument they used, what studio they recorded in, and what gear they used. That's If you're interested in that kind of information. :-D

Nevertheless, Splice seems like a good service. I hope it continues to strive for the sake of music. My only issue with online services is hackers, I'm not sure I want a third party company having access to my music device. They hacked and bricked PS4 by sending consoles a private message. My turntables never did that. :lol:

I know all this stuff about listening to music ect.As i mentioned i come from the tradition of vinyl.tape ectect.My area where i grew up is a collectors dream come true.Steeped in markets and record shops ect.I love all that stuff which is why i like old equipment over new stuff generally.Its true that when we sample the records we are also sampling the artists,studio's and gear we cannot afford ourselves.BUT.......a lot of these sample merchants are taking the easy way out and not really being very creative save chopping and re sequencing over a beat.Its not very musical to me.I rather sample my own experiments,licks and found sounds.I dont go into record shops anymore (i di dig though a collection or two tho).I have an old deck and some records but hardly play them.More interested in synths,mics and and easy to find percussion sounds for my drum sampler.Im a bit more techno based i guess.Yeah but if you can afford the time to dig and store vinyl fair play.Send me your samples when your done :smoker:
By MPC-Tutor Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:35 am
Caustic Yoda wrote:This is just a distraction we need a complete mpc as per the advertised capabilities

I'm all for Akai implementing new features, but every new feature becomes 'The new priority', which means both the developers and the beta testers are spending all their time on these instead of cleaning up and finishing off the existing features. This is how bugs like 'all destructive chopping producing 16 bit files' manage to stay undiscovered (or at least, unfixed) for several years.

I just hope Akai are going to get the balance right. It's been 6 months since the last update, so hoping some of that time was spent working on at least some of the outstanding issues; e.g. (but not limited to!) improving the browser (e.g. library indexing, proper tagging etc), adding new effects (noise gate, limiter, sidechaining etc), fixing bugs, improving the sample editor, implementing tempo change events, automation of master outs, submixes in standalone, crossfade looping, better keygroup implementation, etc, etc.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:46 am
dryad-66 wrote:I know all this stuff about listening to music ect.As i mentioned i come from the tradition of vinyl.tape ectect.My area where i grew up is a collectors dream come true.Steeped in markets and record shops ect.I love all that stuff which is why i like old equipment over new stuff generally.

Its true that when we sample the records we are also sampling the artists,studio's and gear we cannot afford ourselves.BUT.......a lot of these sample merchants are taking the easy way out and not really being very creative save chopping and re sequencing over a beat.Its not very musical to me.

I rather sample my own experiments,licks and found sounds.I dont go into record shops anymore (i di dig though a collection or two tho).I have an old deck and some records but hardly play them.More interested in synths,mics and and easy to find percussion sounds for my drum sampler.Im a bit more techno based i guess.Yeah but if you can afford the time to dig and store vinyl fair play.Send me your samples when your done :smoker:

I still crate dig but very selective about what I buy. I also record live musician sounds sets for my own production. If you want to front the session musician cost and live room studio rentals, I’ll send you over the recorded sounds. Quality cost and it won't be 7.99. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
By Fanu Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:49 am
I'd guess implementing Splice functionality in MPC, connecting it to the internet and making it stable isn't going to be a walk in the park.
As they open that avenue with another company, they can't afford to have it work bad and look bad…
And this probably means some features will end up on the backburner.
So, won't be holding my breath for the features I'd still like to see. As we know, Akai hasn't always been super fast.

Another thing is, how long will it take from the announcement of the new feature till it actually comes out...
As we know, these things tend to get announced quite early.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:14 am
Fanu wrote:I'd guess implementing Splice functionality in MPC, connecting it to the internet and making it stable isn't going to be a walk in the park.
As they open that avenue with another company, they can't afford to have it work bad and look bad…
And this probably means some features will end up on the backburner.
So, won't be holding my breath for the features I'd still like to see. As we know, Akai hasn't always been super fast.

Another thing is, how long will it take from the announcement of the new feature till it actually comes out...
As we know, these things tend to get announced quite early.

Whatever happens I am sure it will be an adventure. I just wonder how they plan to protect ones data. :shock: Another internet of things device without security updates and patches.
By Certified Beatz Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:28 am
Most of us are not major players in the production world.. we do make money tho from our creativity... i just can't see opening up my library on my MPC via wifi.. having 20 years in IT i know my network is stable but it always good to know on windows i have extra protection with there firewall.. i don't believe Akai has gone that route...
By BBB Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:34 pm
Akai doesn't care about the customer who already paid good money for their products. Now they want to sell loops, and get in the new young kids

a slap in the face, thats what this is
By Bezo Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:47 pm
Just really realizing what Splice is. As long as I can opt out completely, not receive any ads, emails, etc, cool.

Yeah, it's a new day. The company I bought my instrument from is curating samples before upgrading the actual instrument? I just stopped believing Akai will deliver the instrument of my dreams at any point in the future.
By Fanu Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:12 pm
I don't mind as long as you can disable the feature completely.

Funny thing is…often one of the points made by those using a fully standalone instrument has been along the lines of "I appreciate making music with a device that doesn't connect to the internet"…and see where we are now. Heh.