MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Sparkomatic100 Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:26 pm
I currently make music using Logic Pro but after working all day on a computer screen, the last thing I want to do is look at another computer screen to make music. Was thinking of going a bit retro, getting a small analogue mixing desk, a couple of analogue synths and effects, and using the MPC Live as the brains for my studio, functioning as my main sequencer and a sampler for my studio productions. Does anyone have any experience using an MPC Live this way?
Bymember04959388 Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:27 pm
Sparkomatic100 wrote:I currently make music using Logic Pro but after working all day on a computer screen, the last thing I want to do is look at another computer screen to make music. Was thinking of going a bit retro, getting a small analogue mixing desk, a couple of analogue synths and effects, and using the MPC Live as the brains for my studio, functioning as my main sequencer and a sampler for my studio productions. Does anyone have any experience using an MPC Live this way?

I exactly use it this way.
I have a Supernova synth connected with midi to MPC, a RV500 reverb and a Kaosspad connected to the 3/4 and 5\6 outputs of MPC and all, together with main MPC output, goes to a Mackie Mixer.
The Mackie mixer is then connected with firewire to a Macbook pro and so I can record all tracks of mixer in a multitrack in real time.
Much fun with this set I found.
By Menco Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:40 am
For the method of working you described you don’t need a MPC Live perse. You would be paying for a lot of features you probably won’t use since you’ll add quite some hardware to your setup and already own a powerful computer with DAW. Get a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS and you’re set.
Bymember04959388 Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:04 am
Menco wrote:For the method of working you described you don’t need a MPC Live perse. You would be paying for a lot of features you probably won’t use since you’ll add quite some hardware to your setup and already own a powerful computer with DAW. Get a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS and you’re set.

No I don't agree.
Using MPC live as a midi hub and as an instrument is the best way to use it.
By Menco Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:12 pm
Frisbi wrote:
Menco wrote:For the method of working you described you don’t need a MPC Live perse. You would be paying for a lot of features you probably won’t use since you’ll add quite some hardware to your setup and already own a powerful computer with DAW. Get a MPC 1000 or 2500 with JJOS and you’re set.

No I don't agree.
Using MPC live as a midi hub and as an instrument is the best way to use it.

The 1000 and the 2500 can also be used this way. Maybe the 2500 is even the beter option as a midi hub since it has 4 midi outputs. It also sports more audio outputs. If you don’t need a large screen, the portability and software integration then the MPC’s mentioned above will suit the OP’s needs.
Bymember04959388 Tue Oct 23, 2018 6:45 pm

No I don't agree.
Using MPC live as a midi hub and as an instrument is the best way to use it.[/quote]

The 1000 and the 2500 can also be used this way. Maybe the 2500 is even the beter option as a midi hub since it has 4 midi outputs. It also sports more audio outputs. If you don’t need a large screen, the portability and software integration then the MPC’s mentioned above will suit the OP’s needs.[/quote]
Ok. But what about ram?
And what about clip launch mode?
Is the 2500 still supported?
I would go for Live, there's a lot of potentiality in it and Akai is working to reach its full potential, even if people talk badly about Akai support, I can see they are working right and I think with the next 2 or 3 updates it will be a great electronic instrument to be played standalone
By Bezo Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:43 pm
Nothing specific to MPCs, but unless you need something unique to a legacy instrument, I'd always go with something modern & currently supported. The Live just received a minor update and has a major update in the works.
By Cockdiesel Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:05 am
The live to me is more of a writing tool with external modules more than anything. It gives you the ability to easily write music and do basic sound design. The depth of a daw is no real comparison.

Minimal preprocessing of samples> MPC Live (aka write anywhere you want) > back into daw is ideal. I’ve been trying to do everything stand-alone but it’s really hard doing everything in the live without further processing. Same when I used to make all my tracks with a Mpc 4000, the mixes lack. The live is faster for sampling/ ripping quick audio tracks and writing but no where near in depth as dedicated samplers.

The freedom of having a mpc and a iPad or other portable gear is unparalleled .
By Bezo Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:The live to me is more of a writing tool with external modules more than anything. It gives you the ability to easily write music and do basic sound design. The depth of a daw is no real comparison.

Minimal preprocessing of samples> MPC Live (aka write anywhere you want) > back into daw is ideal. I’ve been trying to do everything stand-alone but it’s really hard doing everything in the live without further processing. Same when I used to make all my tracks with a Mpc 4000, the mixes lack. The live is faster for sampling/ ripping quick audio tracks and writing but no where near in depth as dedicated samplers.

The freedom of having a mpc and a iPad or other portable gear is unparalleled .
I too look at the MPC as a writing tool. I'm trying to do all of my creative work on it, then move to Logic to mix & polish. I wish the MPC bought more to the creative table and hope they focus on closing the gap between it and DAWs in THIS regard instead of mixing & polishing features.

I've been meaning to look into the MPC/iPad combo. An iPad is lighter, but not much smaller than my MBP. But I'm not sure what value it would add as it won't bring what I get from my MBP, VSTs. But folks are using iPads for sounds, right?
By Danoc Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:14 am
If the new MPCs would have vsts in it i.e. Omnisphere 2 jus connect a keyboard and go!.

Another thing is having the ability to use 124 audio tracks. You'll be able to mix and export a 24 bit/44.1 stereo mix. You wouldn't need to go to a DAW