MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fanu Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:24 am
Fre$hBreath wrote:I don't really like those Akai internal effects they might be low CPU, but they are not very good quality compared to UAD, Eventide, SoundToys, Waves, Softube, and slate to name a few.

You gotta keep in mind…the companies you compare Akai to are dedicated to creating the best possible audio processing plugins possible.
Akai has never tried to be a company like that; their strength is elsewhere.
So the comparison isn't really justified.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:23 am
Fanu wrote:You gotta keep in mind…the companies you compare Akai to are dedicated to creating the best possible audio processing plugins possible. Akai has never tried to be a company like that; their strength is elsewhere.

I agree and to add. Effects on these machines are very usable. It's all about tweaking the parameter and stacking the effects, to make it sound the way we want. Companies should do away with Presets and make people work. LOL
By Fre$hBreath Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:47 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fanu wrote:You gotta keep in mind…the companies you compare Akai to are dedicated to creating the best possible audio processing plugins possible. Akai has never tried to be a company like that; their strength is elsewhere.

I agree and to add. Effects on these machines are very usable. It's all about tweaking the parameter and stacking the effects, to make it sound the way we want. Companies should do away with Presets and make people work. LOL

I don't use plugin presets, they are always a waste of time. I do however wish we could create our own mixer presets, but that's another topic altogether. Getting back on subject, Akai's plugins are meh to me to be perfectly honest. I rather they didn't have any plugins at all. But I guess that would suck for the live performance MPCist...
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:15 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:I don't use plugin presets, they are always a waste of time. I do however wish we could create our own mixer presets, but that's another topic altogether. Getting back on subject, Akai's plugins are meh to me to be perfectly honest. I rather they didn't have any plugins at all. But I guess that would suck for the live performance MPCist...

Which specific plug in do you not like and what does it lack?
By Fre$hBreath Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:10 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:I don't use plugin presets, they are always a waste of time. I do however wish we could create our own mixer presets, but that's another topic altogether. Getting back on subject, Akai's plugins are meh to me to be perfectly honest. I rather they didn't have any plugins at all. But I guess that would suck for the live performance MPCist...

Which specific plug in do you not like and what does it lack?

All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:55 pm
All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...[/quote]
Well look for something else, if this is your approach, Mpc Live is not for you.
I also was disappointed at the beginning because I came from plugins like soundtoys and eventide.
But with time, now I am fine with Mpc effects apart from reverbs and modulations.
Analog delay is very good if you chain it to some other effects and use it properly, it has a lot of character.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Frisbi wrote:All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...

Well look for something else, if this is your approach, Mpc Live is not for you.
I also was disappointed at the beginning because I came from plugins like soundtoys and eventide.
But with time, now I am fine with Mpc effects apart from reverbs and modulations.
Analog delay is very good if you chain it to some other effects and use it properly, it has a lot of character.[/quote]

I own an MPC X, I don't have the Live yet...
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:54 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:
Frisbi wrote:All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...

Analog delay is very good if you chain it to some other effects and use it properly, it has a lot of character.

I own an MPC X, I don't have the Live yet...[/quote]
They have exactly the same effect, and exactly the same OS.
By Menco Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm
Then you have to accept it’s limitations when you’re on the road.

The quality of highend plugins used to be only accesible by going to a professional studio. I know cats who used to do everything with a MPC, soundmodule, Behringer FX unit and a multitrack recorder, only tracking and mixing in the studio for commercial projects. The Live is basically a bedroom studio in a box. Can’t expect it to be a DAW with highend plugins in a box. The strength of the the Live is not it’s power. The Live can not replace a computer like the DAW’s replaced the (semi) pro studio.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 pm
Menco wrote:Then you have to accept it’s limitations when you’re on the road.

The quality of highend plugins used to be only accesible by going to a professional studio. I know cats who used to do everything with a MPC, soundmodule, Behringer FX unit and a multitrack recorder, only tracking and mixing in the studio for commercial projects. The Live is basically a bedroom studio in a box. Can’t expect it to be a DAW with highend plugins in a box. The strength of the the Live is not it’s power. The Live can not replace a computer like the DAW’s replaced the (semi) pro studio.

I know the limitations of the Live, the object to is make as many skeleton beats possible while on the road, and then bring them back home for completion in desktop mode using the MPC X and Studio One.

I truly have no desire to complete them or mix them with the Live. I'm not a finger drummer and don't care to become one.

All I wanted to know was it possible to turn the Anti-Aliasing off as a means to remove a few steps to achieving a certain lo-fi sound I prefer and this topic has turned into another discussion altogether...
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:08 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...

When it comes to effects, its in the hands of the user. If they know how to manipulate them, they will get great results. Nevertheless, if you want aliasing effect on the MPC X, try overloading the convertors. Which will add distortions and artifacts. Pleasing and unpleasing.
By Fre$hBreath Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Fre$hBreath wrote:All of them. They all sound thin and brittle and feel way too digital. They have no analog weight to them at all. I don't like them...

When it comes to effects, its in the hands of the user. If they know how to manipulate them, they will get great results. Nevertheless, if you want aliasing effect on the MPC X, try overloading the convertors. Which will add distortions and artifacts. Pleasing and unpleasing.

I don't agree with this. You can't polish the turd that are Akai's digital plugins. Although I love my MPC X for what it does limitations and all the simple truth is Akai does not make respectable plugins for serious studio grade production and mixing.

The truth of the matter is they are not good at analog modeling at all, and I suspect this is because they don't really care to do so like developers such as Universal Audio, Softube, Waves, Eventide, SoundToys, Plugin Alliance/Brainworx, and Slate Digital who put in a lot of work in recreating the sound of classic and modern analog hardware.

I'm not a big fan of digital processing with stock plugins which is why I use analog gear in my processing in addition to using the industry's best analog modeled plugins. It's also why I'm currently investing in building three analog 500 Series racks of hardware preamps, compressors, and EQs from reliable brands such as Neve, SSL, API, Elysia, SPL, Chandler, Maag, Moog, LouderThanLiftoff, and BAE to name a few.

Yes it's up to the user, but a skilled engineer with developed ears armed with the best mixing tools will always succeed in their sonic goals much quicker than someone muddling around for a longer period of time with inferior gear.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:08 pm
Fre$hBreath wrote:I don't agree with this. You can't polish the turd that are Akai's digital plugins. Although I love my MPC X for what it does limitations and all the simple truth is Akai does not make respectable plugins for serious studio grade production and mixing.

The truth of the matter is they are not good at analog modeling at all, and I suspect this is because they don't really care to do so like developers such as Universal Audio, Softube, Waves, Eventide, SoundToys, Plugin Alliance/Brainworx, and Slate Digital who put in a lot of work in recreating the sound of classic and modern analog hardware.

I'm not a big fan of digital processing with stock plugins which is why I use analog gear in my processing in addition to using the industry's best analog modeled plugins. It's also why I'm currently investing in building three analog 500 Series racks of hardware preamps, compressors, and EQs from reliable brands such as Neve, SSL, API, Elysia, SPL, Chandler, Maag, Moog, LouderThanLiftoff, and BAE to name a few.

Yes it's up to the user, but a skilled engineer with developed ears armed with the best mixing tools will always succeed in their sonic goals much quicker than someone muddling around for a longer period of time with inferior gear.

99% of people could not tell the difference between low end or high end effects, digital or analogue effects, plug in or analogue compressor. I'm all for quality gear but this particular post is about Anti Aliasing Filter in the MPC X. The reason they put a Aliasing Filter in the samplers, is to maintain the integrity of the sample source. The reason you buy a MPC X is to not have Aliasing. If you want to turn that off get an Ensoniq EPS 16.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:17 pm
So why you buy MpC if you don't like digital sound?
Mpc Live and X are totally digital and never claimed to be analog or use analog modeling.
Not all that is digital is bad, not all that is analog is good and good digital is better than bad analog.
I think the best thing is how devices sound and I find that MPC sounds really good if you learn how to use it.
And anyway your discussion is a bit pointless since what is good for me maybe is not good for you.
There's nothing wrong in MPC effects, its just you like them or not.
For example I find Reverbs and Phaser really useless for me but maybe someone else will like them.
I don't understand why you like your MPC X if you don't like its effects. Effects are very important when it comes to an electronic musical device for me.
And anyway you can use the outputs of your MPC to route a send out to an external hardware effect, it is what I make to have a good reverb and I use a completely digital Boss Reverb that I like a lot