MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:50 pm
Come on Akai, please fix the clip mode.
New update is wonderful, beyond my expectations.
But you know how is frustrating if you work with clips to hear them stop as you switch to a synth or a drum program?
Bymember04959388 Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:41 pm
lordradish wrote:As one who agrees, I'm sure they're well aware of this, and wouldn't be surprised, at all, if it were in the next update.

I hope so.
I was also wondering why they make a partnership with Splice if they are aware Clip mode is buggy as hell.
Splice is a clip library, isn't it?
Maybe next update they fix Clip mode and start Splice partnership?
This would make sense.
Otherwise it would be ridiculous to support a Clip library having a not working Clip mode.
By Mukiw Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm
Imagine how powerful this could be if you had the option to launch midi clips -

When selecting midi clips in clip mode there could be a small display in the corner asking you where you would like to route that particular midi clip to.

Lets say you had a multi-timbral external synth plugged into the MPC midi out A (Blowfeld for example) - you could send 16 different midi clips out via the 16 midi channels per bank! So you could have 8 variations of 16 different sounds on one track.

You could then potentially set up a second track that uses MPC midi out B and do the same thing again (another Blowfeld or just 16 external synths being controlled by midi B 1-16). Then on a third track just have all your audio loops.

I don't even think this would be very hard to implement seeing as it's just sending midi? Wouldn't this make it far more useful in a performance/live setting too? Maybe someone would argue that this could somewhat be done in track mute mode but I think that the way the scenes work in clip mode would be far superior for jamming.
Bymember04959388 Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:38 pm
Mukiw wrote:Imagine how powerful this could be if you had the option to launch midi clips -

When selecting midi clips in clip mode there could be a small display in the corner asking you where you would like to route that particular midi clip to.

Lets say you had a multi-timbral external synth plugged into the MPC midi out A (Blowfeld for example) - you could send 16 different midi clips out via the 16 midi channels per bank! So you could have 8 variations of 16 different sounds on one track.

You could then potentially set up a second track that uses MPC midi out B and do the same thing again (another Blowfeld or just 16 external synths being controlled by midi B 1-16). Then on a third track just have all your audio loops.

I don't even think this would be very hard to implement seeing as it's just sending midi? Wouldn't this make it far more useful in a performance/live setting too? Maybe someone would argue that this could somewhat be done in track mute mode but I think that the way the scenes work in clip mode would be far superior for jamming.

Yes I really think that if they make clip mode working right, Live would become a really perfect machine for me.
Imagine to use drums, synths and clip in a live performance environment and tweak all with qlinks.
That would really be dope.
By eclipxe Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:11 pm
Clip mode works fine. Use a sequence to trigger the clip. And splice isn’t clips/loops only, it’s mostly samples. Just load your loops in the sampler.
Bymember04959388 Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:42 pm
eclipxe wrote:Clip mode works fine. Use a sequence to trigger the clip. And splice isn’t clips/loops only, it’s mostly samples. Just load your loops in the sampler.

Clip mode.doesn't work fine.
Come on.
Clips sometimes stop without any reason.
You cannot use clips and switch to other modes because the clips just stop playing.
I don't know if you use Clip mode, if you say it works fine then I have the feeling you just gave a fast try.
Use them in a performance, experiencing sudden stops and being not able to play anything else and maybe you can talk about it.
By JeriKo Jackson Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:39 pm
Frisbi wrote:
eclipxe wrote:Clip mode works fine. Use a sequence to trigger the clip. And splice isn’t clips/loops only, it’s mostly samples. Just load your loops in the sampler.

Clip mode.doesn't work fine.
Come on.
Clips sometimes stop without any reason.
You cannot use clips and switch to other modes because the clips just stop playing.
I don't know if you use Clip mode, if you say it works fine then I have the feeling you just gave a fast try.
Use them in a performance, experiencing sudden stops and being not able to play anything else and maybe you can talk about it.

Its useable but has a couple bugs. You can get the clips to keep playing though. Search the forum for Yorgos’ solution. If you do it right the clips will not stop when switching tracks.

I agree it should have been addressed by now.
Bymember04959388 Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:41 pm
I know Yorgos workaround, it works but its a pain in the ass if you need to be fast in a performance.
MPC is famous as a fast music production instrument and its called Live for some reason, isn't it?
So WTF :)
Bymember04959388 Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:04 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Clip mode is not the best, definitely needs work, but there's a lot of other existing features that need finishing off properly too. Love the new features, but finish off the core features in 2.4 please :)

Totally agree with you.
This update gave me opposite feelings, big happiness for the quality of the new features and disappointment for the lack of bug fixes.
Maybe 2.4 will resolve my oppositions.
By Lozzieben Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:45 pm

I don't think having to sequence your clip launches in order to keep them looping is what most people understand "clips" to be.

If akai intended intended clips to stop looping when you change mode or track, but behave as you would expect as long as you stay on that track, then the question is why?
Perhaps it is an unintended bug.

At the moment I sequence "clips" as samples on a normal drum program. I have a separate program and track for each clip, all programs are set to mono to prevent the clip from overlapping when it is retriggered, then I use track mute page to "launch" them and stop them. I set the sequence to a long length, but the individual clip/track lengths can be shorter and different lengths.

Using this workaround, I can do things like have certain clips fade out, and others stop suddenly, when I mute its track, depending on the Amp envelope setting. I can have a clip loop say every 3 bars by setting the track to loop every 3 bars, but when I mute that track I can have it so the clip plays for say 6 bars then fades out. If I want to kill a long looping clip half way through, at the start of the next bar, I can unmute a 1 bar long track with a silent pad on the same program which will choke the clip.

Unless, in a future update, clip mode is fixed to allow uninterrupted playback without having to work with a fixed sequence, I can't see what advantage it has over normal program mode.
Bymember04959388 Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:26 pm
Lozzieben wrote:

I don't think having to sequence your clip launches in order to keep them looping is what most people understand "clips" to be.

If akai intended intended clips to stop looping when you change mode or track, but behave as you would expect as long as you stay on that track, then the question is why?
Perhaps it is an unintended bug.

At the moment I sequence "clips" as samples on a normal drum program. I have a separate program and track for each clip, all programs are set to mono to prevent the clip from overlapping when it is retriggered, then I use track mute page to "launch" them and stop them. I set the sequence to a long length, but the individual clip/track lengths can be shorter and different lengths.

Using this workaround, I can do things like have certain clips fade out, and others stop suddenly, when I mute its track, depending on the Amp envelope setting. I can have a clip loop say every 3 bars by setting the track to loop every 3 bars, but when I mute that track I can have it so the clip plays for say 6 bars then fades out. If I want to kill a long looping clip half way through, at the start of the next bar, I can unmute a 1 bar long track with a silent pad on the same program which will choke the clip.

Unless, in a future update, clip mode is fixed to allow uninterrupted playback without having to work with a fixed sequence, I can't see what advantage it has over normal program mode.

I don't think it is working like it was meant to work as you said.
I think they just put it to develop it later like other features and they just didn't have time to develop it because they were working on something else.
One day they will say " ok let's develop it" and it will work fine.
I hope this moment will be as soon as possible.
By Lozzieben Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:40 pm
[/quote]
I don't think it is working like it was meant to work as you said.
I think they just put it to develop it later like other features and they just didn't have time to develop it because they were working on something else.
One day they will say " ok let's develop it" and it will work fine.
I hope this moment will be as soon as possible.[/quote]

Yep, I share your hope. At least the upgrades in 2.3 suggests they have the ability, but maybe just not found the time yet.
By Bezo Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:15 pm
Participating for support.

I have a bunch of MIDI loops I've created over the years; basic, reusable stuff like drum patterns, bass lines, etc. When I discovered the inconveniences of dragging & dropping MIDI, my next thought was to employ Clip Launch. Nope!