MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Caustic Yoda Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:37 pm
while the mpc live/x software has some good functions and glad its getting a yearly update i would ask that akai first fixes all the missing legacy mpc functions that we have relied on for many years to the current batch before they load it up with bloatware plugins we dont really need or want, missing functions list, please add things you miss from prev mpcs not found in current software, these should be the easiest things to implement. i will get it started with these please ad any you can think of

1. Multitimbral midi (external midi keys locked to midi channel, currently stuck in omni mode)
2. Latch/ hold sample or loop from note on state (mpc2500/1000 - press hold pad +trackmute)
By SupremeSoulstice Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:48 pm
I wonder if people consider how much time went in to the creation of these boxes? These are new machines, with new content and abilities. Dan has said multiple times they're working on MultiTimbral, PDC, among a few other things. No one truly knows how hard it maybe to code, and in a way that everything meshes together. These boxes aren't even that old yet. Think the 60, 3000, 2000xl, before finally getting to the 4000. I'm sure teams have changed quite consistently, with only a few heads being involved for a long time. This update, while not perfect for everyone of course, shows that Akai are working on these boxes. Don't know what else to say. I'm hella content. Two major updates in less then 2 years?
By Caustic Yoda Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:39 am
I feel this update is just a distraction from akai, stalling on the actual fixes, yes its better than nothing but i think these forums are being way to nice, cmon they advertised "biggest update yet" there have been very few features added or fixed, i dont care for soft synths at the best of times and being built into a sampler is a waste of space i dont need, we want the real fixes and fixing things that were right in legacy mpcs should be top of the list and should have been right from the very start of the ren and studio releases. they should also be easiest things for the software team to fix. i will continue to call them out until these things are fixed and i think others should do so too.
While im here again i will mention the bug or problematic behavior of a selected track that is muted or volume down also mutes the pads on the sampler, this is problematic for live perfromances and never been a factor in prev mpcs
By zangetsu01 Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:53 am
So thats why the pads wont trigger.. Would also like fo see the legacy stuff added and fixed first.. (uhum automation) Dan should have his own tread (locked to only him) where he can post the fixes the team is working on.. No need to post the new upcomming stuff (for obvious reasons) but it would be nice to see the roadmap of there bug killing team..
By psoul Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:43 am
they are reluctant about classic mpc features... i think is a kind of paranoid they have
think about lack of track mute in a mpc called LIVE, but hey there is 16 level button
and think about lack of Next sequence button

what i found strange from day 1 is that a lot of "classic" features weren't there... even think about for some way jjos is waaay more evoluted from a classic mpc user style...
here we are still not there, and there is a kind of malice in not doing those things
By Caustic Yoda Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:15 am
Yes the pads are muted because of this and its way silly and was never this way before when mpc could control more tracks than were shown on the screen at once, ive been on these new mpcs since ren waiting for them to do the job of a 2500 with jjos or without, its still not there and i use an mpc on stage almost every week of the year, i would like to do all gigs with the live but i gotta take other samplers for other jobs that should be easy so defeats the portable trade off. they shouldnt call this box an mpc if it cant do what mpcs have done for 30 years, its just a midi controller with a cheap ass tablet stuck next to it, on the wrong side i might ad, i will continue to use it for what it can do but i will also complain regularly whenever if fails my needs and expectations and whenever a huge new update is promised that addresses nothing important.
By psoul Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:07 am
ah we are 2 i don't let the mpc go cause nukai

what i found crazy is the fact they don't solve the small issues, it feels deliberate to keep it like it is, almost like a kind of paranoid against old-school use of mpc...
By BBB Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:50 am
They want us to think they listen, but they dont. They give us synths that nobody asked for, if the auto sampler is so great, then why do we need synths in the same update?

This is just to lure in new customers. Same with the 2.2 update that brought mappings for other controllers. Stop spending time and money to lure in new customers, and start caring about people who already paid money and are invested in your product!

Give us the stuff we have been asking for since forever:
-Side chaining
-PDC
-etc etc
By toodee Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:08 am
SupremeSoulstice wrote:No one truly knows how hard it maybe to code

My experience as a programmer is that it's not that hard. But to produce stable and usable applications, one needs quality gates and careful design, 2 things that were quite obviously overlooked by the Akai dev team. If they had spent the needed time on design, we wouldn’t have those useless menu dives and bloated ugly UI choices (looking at you, welcome screen with those demo projects, WTF) that are killing the inspiration. If they had the necessary quality gates in place, we would see much less of “whoopsies” forcing the users to find workarounds for functionalities that should be simple, as a programmer it’s really obvious for me not enough peer review has been done before the software was released, not even close. Maybe it’s because the MPC software is a horrible mess of spaghetti code, making code review and architecture design overly complex ? It sure wouldn’t surprise me…

Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of happy with my Live, but I can't shake the feeling that every update since the machine came out has been half-assed, with some added functionalities presenting the same type of bugs and terrible UI/UX decisions that are plaguing the MPC system.

Instead of plugins that sound cheap (had a play with the TubeSynth yesterday evening, oscillators are ok I guess but the filter sounds like a wet fart, other effects also sound like the other MPC effects – meh), I wish we’d seen better automations management, better sounding effects, a better something…

Almost sold the Live 3 or 4 times out of frustration, but I guess I’ll keep it until another company makes this type of battery power DAW-in-a-box the way it should be done. Ableton, Native Instruments, take my money !
Bymember04959388 Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:18 pm
psoul wrote:ah we are 2 i don't let the mpc go cause nukai

what i found crazy is the fact they don't solve the small issues, it feels deliberate to keep it like it is, almost like a kind of paranoid against old-school use of mpc...

We are 3 at least.
New synths and arp are very welcomed but make the **** working right please, its more then a year we are experiencing bugs and no one fix them.
For me Clip mode is the first.
By wavejockey Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:43 pm
totally with you guys on this
pay a few legacy MPC users to test hardware/software (as test engi!) could have ironed out a lot of mess

still waiting for an answer on this from the likes of yamaha/roland or a new player, there are some HW (eurorack, ...) alternatives, nothing close to MPC though
Bymember04959388 Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:05 pm
I think its just a question of time.
They will fix the bugs otherwise they are crazy.
The idea behind.Live is excellent and I am happy I can have a sampler, a groove box and synths in a small portable box.
I think they just messed up with programming because they put a lot of stuff on it and they started to sell it when it was not ready at all.
Do you remember the first firmware? It was an hell,
Now they took a good direction but they keep on adding new stuff to conquer customers instead of making the old ones happy.
But you know, if they don't fix bugs, they will soon be overwhelmed by competition.
So its just a question of time, hopefully.
By lordradish Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 am
What's wrong with luring in new customers? With this update, this box just became a hell of a lot more useful as a performance tool, and I think they're going to sell a lot more units, now.

It's the 21st century, it's not supposed to be a box from 20 years ago. Yes, there's still some bugs to be worked out, but I don't remember the last time I was so excited about a product update.

Why the hate on autosampler? It's another way to sample that makes the process a heck of a lot easier than it was before? I primarily bought this so I could break free from using the computer, and that update served that purpose very well.

I'm not an old school Akai guy, so maybe I just don't get it. If they want to stay competitive, this is a step in the right direction, because the other manufacturers aren't going to crush the competition by basically making a retread of a 20 year old concept. This is the kind of thing that IS going to make it more competitive, because it's more useful.
BBB wrote:They want us to think they listen, but they dont. They give us synths that nobody asked for, if the auto sampler is so great, then why do we need synths in the same update?

This is just to lure in new customers. Same with the 2.2 update that brought mappings for other controllers. Stop spending time and money to lure in new customers, and start caring about people who already paid money and are invested in your product!

Give us the stuff we have been asking for since forever:
-Side chaining
-PDC
-etc etc
By Cockdiesel Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:56 am
just speculation but when they do overhaul clip launching I’m going to guess it’s going to be badass. They didn’t introduce splice comparability with this update which makes me assume the next one isn’t going to be as long, maybe Christmas. You’d think that clip launching would be fundamental to the splice compatibility.