MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By sinik Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:16 am
toodee wrote:
SupremeSoulstice wrote:No one truly knows how hard it maybe to code

My experience as a programmer is that it's not that hard. But to produce stable and usable applications, one needs quality gates and careful design, 2 things that were quite obviously overlooked by the Akai dev team. If they had spent the needed time on design, we wouldn’t have those useless menu dives and bloated ugly UI choices (looking at you, welcome screen with those demo projects, WTF) that are killing the inspiration. If they had the necessary quality gates in place, we would see much less of “whoopsies” forcing the users to find workarounds for functionalities that should be simple, as a programmer it’s really obvious for me not enough peer review has been done before the software was released, not even close. Maybe it’s because the MPC software is a horrible mess of spaghetti code, making code review and architecture design overly complex ? It sure wouldn’t surprise me…

Don't get me wrong, I'm sort of happy with my Live, but I can't shake the feeling that every update since the machine came out has been half-assed, with some added functionalities presenting the same type of bugs and terrible UI/UX decisions that are plaguing the MPC system.

Instead of plugins that sound cheap (had a play with the TubeSynth yesterday evening, oscillators are ok I guess but the filter sounds like a wet fart, other effects also sound like the other MPC effects – meh), I wish we’d seen better automations management, better sounding effects, a better something…

Almost sold the Live 3 or 4 times out of frustration, but I guess I’ll keep it until another company makes this type of battery power DAW-in-a-box the way it should be done. Ableton, Native Instruments, take my money !

i couldn't agree more with you.

the integration of the new features like "humanize", "arpeggiator" or "random events" is just very uninspiring and not approachable at all. on the mpc x, you can't even scroll through the menu options with the cursor buttons, it just stops and forces you to touch the screen for scrolling.

this is just really badly designed. why wouldn't you wanna take advantage of the q-links for the arpeggiator? it would make so much sense, specially on the mpc x. this thing could be fun but the way it works now, i might even not gonna use it.
By psoul Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:21 am
they have no good beta tester, in my opinion, is something incredible if u think
and when you try to explain to them these behaviors they don't understand, don't want to open their mind because they don't care about these small things (for them) that are so important

is funny how logic is jj os and how is not fluid mpc live for a lot of things menu related and music construction related
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:20 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:just speculation but when they do overhaul clip launching I’m going to guess it’s going to be badass. They didn’t introduce splice comparability with this update which makes me assume the next one isn’t going to be as long, maybe Christmas. You’d think that clip launching would be fundamental to the splice compatibility.

Yes I was thinking the same.
How can you introduce Splice integration with a buggy Clip mode?
It would be ridiculous.
So maybe next update they will fix Clip.mode?
Fingers crossed.
It would make a lot of sense but Akai is sometimes unpredictable.
By JeriKo Jackson Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:27 pm
As pleased as I was with the update I feel like Akai has opened the door for pay to play plugins. I guess there is nothing wrong with that so long as it does not take away resources from the OS development. If AIR or whoever else is deleoping the plugs I’m cool with that.

I’m not really feeling the synths too much but it is fun to automate them with the qlinks. The ARP is amazeballs. If clip mode and multi timbral input get sorted I’m good. I’d probably upgrade to the X too.
By MPC-Tutor Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:37 pm
I don't have an issue with new features, but there's so much housekeeping that needs to be performed on the existing features, so many of them are half finished.

I just watched a video of Akai explaining how wifi syncing the MPC to your splice account takes them 20 years into the future, however when it comes to using the browser to navigate through the samples on my actual local MPC drive, it can't handle anything other than filtering the current directory - there's no library index, no tagging, no file moving/copy/paste etc. Surely a priority would be to optimise local file browsing? How about working with Sononym or Algonaut and bring some awesome sample indexing technology in to the MPC?
By hansjbs Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:44 pm
If you're not happy with a product, sell it and maybe purchase it again once everything you think are necessary for you have been added, if not move on.
I see why akai reps don't like coming here, too much negative. Yes we know of the features missing but doesn't habe to be repeated every thread it's not gonna magically be fixed. So what akai made this update to cash in on new buyers its a business. They need to make sales. So the features they've added are not for you, wait for a fix or move on. I'm pretty sure they've heard it already. Bashing beta testers is uncalled for they don't get paid to do this, they do it to help out. They don't make decision of what features get added. They're not Akai.
By psoul Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:08 pm
ok so they have good beta tester but they don't listen

i get your point but get other as well... as we can move out from new mpc and sell as well u can move out from replying in this way. of course u can do and we appreciate but as well we can complain here as customers
nothing more than this

another illogical thing is audio track, i don't get why they have to keep in the menu on the bottom lcd instead of the choosing kind of track (midi, program, plug in... audio no here? )
in this way would be nice to have audio track on track mute, cause at the moment u have all the kind of track on track mute except audio. if u want to mute a audio track u need to go to main, and select track as in mpc60/3000.... or assign an external controller and midi learn the mute on/off of that track
By zangetsu01 Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:40 pm
hansjbs wrote:If you're not happy with a product, sell it and maybe purchase it again once everything you think are necessary for you have been added, if not move on.
I see why akai reps don't like coming here, too much negative. Yes we know of the features missing but doesn't habe to be repeated every thread it's not gonna magically be fixed. So what akai made this update to cash in on new buyers its a business. They need to make sales. So the features they've added are not for you, wait for a fix or move on. I'm pretty sure they've heard it already. Bashing beta testers is uncalled for they don't get paid to do this, they do it to help out. They don't make decision of what features get added. They're not Akai.

I get your point but I don't agree..

I remember the Akai reps saying:

"Everything that you can do in the software can be done on the MPC touch screen"
(This was said at NAMM 2017 a few 1000 times)

Where are the automation lanes?? Why is this missing??
By MPC-Tutor Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:04 pm
hansjbs wrote:If you're not happy with a product, sell it and maybe purchase it again once everything you think are necessary for you have been added, if not move on.
I see why akai reps don't like coming here, too much negative.

Nothing wrong with discussing how a product can be improved, there's also plenty of positive discussion here, but this has never been a blinkered fan boy forum. Any criticism reflects the passion people round here have about MPCs, all feedback is good feedback. They want them to be the best they can be so by highlighting the negatives we hope Akai will act.

Akai reps are here all the time, I can assure you of that, but most of them choose not to post, just lurk and report back.
By kaydigi Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:23 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:I don't have an issue with new features, but there's so much housekeeping that needs to be performed on the existing features, so many of them are half finished.

I just watched a video of Akai explaining how wifi syncing the MPC to your splice account takes them 20 years into the future, however when it comes to using the browser to navigate through the samples on my actual local MPC drive, it can't handle anything other than filtering the current directory - there's no library index, no tagging, no file moving/copy/paste etc. Surely a priority would be to optimise local file browsing? How about working with Sononym or Algonaut and bring some awesome sample indexing technology in to the MPC?

Or even port the VIP tagging system over.... I mean it’s sitting right there.
By Fanu Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:36 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:"Everything that you can do in the software can be done on the MPC touch screen"
(This was said at NAMM 2017 a few 1000 times)

Where are the automation lanes?? Why is this missing??

I remember that too, and it's a good selling point…it's just that it's not true.
Shame.

hansjbs wrote:I see why akai reps don't like coming here, too much negative.

There's positive vibes too – it's also good to understand that forums often are "for" discussing shortcomings and bugs. When ppl are happy, they are quiet.
I do beta-testing for a major company, and its closed private forum, of course, mostly displays criticism and complaints…and it's those that drive the products forward.
In general I'd say on music forums you'll see way more criticism than "I love this product" posts.
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:08 pm
Its easy to understand that expert users complain because they know they have a great device on their hand but its just half working.
Its not a negative feedback or behaviour.
Its more something like: Come on Akai, make a step forward, fix the **** so you'll be the top of quality and no one will want to complain anymore
Bymember04959388 Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:36 pm
Fanu wrote:And I can't help feeling that some of that stuff would already be implemented if they had had real pro / heavy users dropping their comments at design stage (e.g., advanced browser features, automation lanes on standalone, PDC etc…)

Man, we are the beta testers.
that's the truth
By hansjbs Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:06 pm
psoul wrote:ok so they have good beta tester but they don't listen

i get your point but get other as well... as we can move out from new mpc and sell as well u can move out from replying in this way. of course u can do and we appreciate but as well we can complain here as customers
nothing more than this

another illogical thing is audio track, i don't get why they have to keep in the menu on the bottom lcd instead of the choosing kind of track (midi, program, plug in... audio no here? )
in this way would be nice to have audio track on track mute, cause at the moment u have all the kind of track on track mute except audio. if u want to mute a audio track u need to go to main, and select track as in mpc60/3000.... or assign an external controller and midi learn the mute on/off of that track

It's just that its almost every other thread. I get it I used the OG Mpcs but maybe its not as simple to implement.