MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By zangetsu01 Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:09 am
Eyalc wrote:I agree with these thoughts.

Although it's cool to have the plugins, I've got an arsenal of plugins that IMO sound way better. I'd rather see them sort through the function list of the 4000 and bring those capabilities to the platform, rather than implement more plugins. Well, get the basic features working first of course.

I agree, would love for the focus in the next update to be on the basic stuff..
By BBB Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:42 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Eyalc wrote:I agree with these thoughts.

Although it's cool to have the plugins, I've got an arsenal of plugins that IMO sound way better. I'd rather see them sort through the function list of the 4000 and bring those capabilities to the platform, rather than implement more plugins. Well, get the basic features working first of course.

I agree, would love for the focus in the next update to be on the basic stuff..

no the next focus is on Splice support, so they can sell you more samples
By Bezo Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:33 pm
As a non-traditional MPC user, I'm ecstatic they focus as much as they do on new features. Stand alone compatible plugins were a godsend. I don't need them to sound better than my regular plugins; just good enough to write with outside the studio. Auto Sampling added value for me as well.

But of course I want bugs fixed, missing legacy features, and a more advanced sampler. I looked at Serato Sample a while back. Man, that thing is great & efficient at what it does. Being software, I'm sure it relies heavily on CPU power to do so though. Despite relying very little on sampling to create, I'm hoping Akai is aiming for some of those features & efficiency. Finding & matching keys of samples & superior sound quality with extreme time stretching are 2 things I'd like to see.

But bloat though? The industry is growing and I'd bet that the number of people creating the traditional MPC way is nowhere close to that growth, if not shrinking. I doubt they'd have the revenue to do what they're doing if they only released a better legacy instrument and threw software in with it, or didn't. We all think we should be the target audience, but hybrid musicians are probably where it's at.
Bymember04959388 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:17 pm
Well the Thread creator is right from his point of view.
I also would prefer if Akai focus on an advaned sampler.
But new features are always welcome, this synths add was a surprise for me but the more I use them, the more I like them.
Akai is obviously looking for new customers rather then satisfying the already existing ones.
I think its because most of the people are used to work with daw and pc and you cannot conquer them with just an advanced sampler.
Mpc is moving from an old school sampler to a modern digital platform but I can see its not easy at all to do that in a OS which was born in the 80s with a totally different architecture.
There should be a compromise and first of all, after these new upgrades, Akai should stop a bit and focus on fixing all and improving the existing features.
Sample editing needs an improve, especially the warp function in standalone.
Xy is still broken.
Clip mode is still tricky and you need to record your clips to use it.
Some fx are really weak, especially Phaser and Reverb.
I really hope now Akai focus on that, otherwise the customers they conquer today will be the ones they lose tomorrow.
By Bezo Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 pm
@Frisbi, I think many of the existing customers ARE those looking for something more than an updated legacy instrument. And I'm sure the hard/software combo is, in part, what attracted them. I'm guessing what will keep them are advancements on the software side and MAYBE those advancements being duplicated on stand alone hardware.

You watch some newer folks make electronic based music? Many barely touch controllers other than browsing, tweaking sounds & such. Way more drawing than I've ever seen.

I think what's on all of our sides is that sampling isn't going anywhere. And with the likes of Serato Sampler, MPC will have to keep up to some degree. Bangin' on pads is niche at this point IMO.
Bymember04959388 Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:59 pm
Bezo wrote:@Frisbi, I think many of the existing customers ARE those looking for something more than an updated legacy instrument. And I'm sure the hard/software combo is, in part, what attracted them. I'm guessing what will keep them are advancements on the software side and MAYBE those advancements being duplicated on stand alone hardware.

You watch some newer folks make electronic based music? Many barely touch controllers other than browsing, tweaking sounds & such. Way more drawing than I've ever seen.

I think what's on all of our sides is that sampling isn't going anywhere. And with the likes of Serato Sampler, MPC will have to keep up to some degree. Bangin' on pads is niche at this point IMO.

Man we have a touchscreen. We have XY.
There are all the potential to draw the sounds the way we said.
I also like that and I am using KP3 hooked to Live for that reason.
So what is Akai waiting for?
By tntmpc Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:35 am
the live is my first mpc as im from the s950-s5000 + atari days
so i dont really miss on old features i dont know of but its a shame they didnt keep oldschool functionnalities for core legacy users
the one thing i miss from the old days is we are still not able to save a simple wav without putting it into a program ? :WTF:

other than a couple problems here and there this box is so good it made my maschine catch dust forever i think
making beats on the go is just amazing
the new synths are a great addition to standalone
autosampler is great surprise too

like it was previously said i'd like AKAI to focus to making the sampler more advanced like Serato has become
because of its timestrech, tempo and key scale detection , and probably most innovative feature : random pad filling

but in the end i gotta say im happy to have a machine that yeah didnt deliver all that was promissed on the box when it came out...but now delivers much more than we expected and will continue to improve over time.

AKAI still on top of the game

but please
allow us to save a wav :hmmm:
allow us to find akai extensions other than on C drive :WTF:
Fix XYZ FX :Sigh:
implement Serato functions :worthy:
make a lightguide keyboard ?? :oops:

:smoker:
By Caustic Yoda Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 am
Yep i would be happy if they just fixed sample latch/hold. its most basic sampler function since the 80s and i need it for my live sets, i currently have to take an sp303 for this and to cover loading times when mpc audio drops out even when its just going thru the inputs, not "live" at all but still decent sampler for the most part, x/y fx almost crashes the machine in controller mode it goes so slow.
By Cclong Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:01 am
I think it’s funny how people don’t see that selling more units / attracting more buyers makes the possibility that these bugs will inevitably get fixed much greater. Sure! Alienate all new users by appeasing the cranky “mpc head” types’ esoteric design quirks in the midst of a culture boom : that’s a surefire way to create the economic foundation for all these niche feature requests !

I kid , but really: you people seem to be wishing Akai for running your beloved product into the ground, but how the hell do you not see that they have to foot the bill for good programmers somehow ??? Ultimately , the greater and more widespread the consumer appeal, the more
things will foreseeably get fixed.
By zangetsu01 Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:12 am
Cclong wrote:I think it’s funny how people don’t see that selling more units / attracting more buyers makes the possibility that these bugs will inevitably get fixed much greater. Sure! Alienate all new users by appeasing the cranky “mpc head” types’ esoteric design quirks in the midst of a culture boom : that’s a surefire way to create the economic foundation for all these niche feature requests !

I kid , but really: you people seem to be wishing Akai for running your beloved product into the ground, but how the hell do you not see that they have to foot the bill for good programmers somehow ??? Ultimately , the greater and more widespread the consumer appeal, the more

Well I don't agree.. Most of us have a past with Akai and know how they used to handle things. Just go to their MPC Legacy page and count the perfected MPC's VS the buggy abandoned MPC's. It will scare you away..

We just want them to deliver a product that's at least bug free and contains the modern basic functions (anno 2018).

The special stuff can be added later on..
By Cclong Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:56 pm
Yoda: my thinking is that if they ride this wave of new interest , then they will have to be held more accountable for their software fixes.

Who knows if this is true , but if it isn’t , I’m going to sell the machine lol. There is so much flakiness and rollercoaster-of-death type issues with it that it feels like a lot of its power is illusory.

This is my first MPC ever , and I grew up on FLstudio etc , have been sequencing electronic music since I was 12.

I was watching the Albertsons video tour of 2.3 with the Andy Mac (https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YrKcDAYLFV8 go to 15:04)
and it was making me so queasy (re: autosampling: the Albertsons employee going “SCHWAAA “ and “FWOOSHhhhhhhhhhh!!!!” Every time he mentions a new feature ... the part where he’s like ‘do yours ... ok now mine ‘ LOL so so so so awkward ) and it seems like they are resting on their laurels a bit . When the shirty kid goes “what CANT THIS THING DO ?” And Andy goes “well, it can’t do dishes!!! “ or whatever I imagined what this whole forums eyeballs would sound like rolling out onto the floor.

Has anyone else noticed that when you record automation in tubesynth , you can’t bounce an audio track ???

Or that you can’t access song mode while a pattern is playing??

But I think the biggest issue for me is the lack of sample manipulation options .

Anyways there’s my two cents
By Lozzieben Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 am
Cclong wrote:I think it’s funny how people don’t see that selling more units / attracting more buyers makes the possibility that these bugs will inevitably get fixed much greater. Sure! Alienate all new users by appeasing the cranky “mpc head” types’ esoteric design quirks in the midst of a culture boom : that’s a surefire way to create the economic foundation for all these niche feature requests !

But something like "Clip Launching" for example, is one of those new features that was lauded by Akai to entice new users, but it still doesn't work right.
How much do you think the "bill for good programmers" would be to get clips to not stop playing just because you changed tracks, compared to the cost of developing soft synths that run in stand alone?
By MPC-Tutor Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:46 pm
Lozzieben wrote:But something like "Clip Launching" for example, is one of those new features that was lauded by Akai to entice new users, but it still doesn't work right.
How much do you think the "bill for good programmers" would be to get clips to not stop playing just because you changed tracks, compared to the cost of developing soft synths that run in stand alone?

This nails the problem for me. Yes Akai need to add new features to entice new customers and get the $$$, but it shouldn't be at the expense of not finishing the existing and much hyped features that are currently either unusable (e.g. clips) or barely fit for purpose (e.g. the browser). Just sort them out FFS :)
Bymember04959388 Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:12 pm
Lozzieben wrote:

But something like "Clip Launching" for example, is one of those new features that was lauded by Akai to entice new users, but it still doesn't work right.

Yes there are a couple of modes which were put there from the begininng and left undeveloped until now.
Clip mode is the first. It works only if you record the clips and use them with pad mute.
I think they just didn't care about them since the beginning.
Same with xy effects, they tried to develop them but still is buggy.
It should be time for Akai to stop adding features and just take modes one by one and fix them one by one.
I don't see any other chance.
By Bezo Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:21 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:
Lozzieben wrote:But something like "Clip Launching" for example, is one of those new features that was lauded by Akai to entice new users, but it still doesn't work right.

This nails the problem for me. Yes Akai need to add new features to entice new customers and get the $$$, but it shouldn't be at the expense of not finishing the existing and much hyped features that are currently either unusable (e.g. clips) or barely fit for purpose (e.g. the browser). Just sort them out FFS :)
I can get with this, but still see them as new features. According to Akai, Clips work as intended. Getting them to continue play when focusing on a different track would be an addition. Same for the browser; it sucks, but enhancing it would be an addition.

Who knows what the cost & time comparisons are? I do know customers are prioritized after stock holders, and decisions are based on that. I'm sure they're doing exactly what they believe will capture the most revenue. And as customers, we do not act for our best interest.